MD world physics

Shemhazaj

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#696969"]something that I started to wonder about while RPing. I don't think there was something about it in the Story Mode, but I might be wrong (finished it quite some time ago)

The sun never sets over MD sky, but does it move? I mean do the shades grow longer at times? Can one feel/check passing of time by looking at the sky?[/color][/font]

According to Bootes, the sun moves. A stick in the ground will have its shadow change. Over what time period this happens was not specified.

[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/1968-m-b-the-sun-that-never-sets/page__p__13001#entry13001"]http://magicduel.inv...3001#entry13001[/url]

[quote]
I was monitoring a crude device I had made to try and see if the Sun was moving. Basically just a Stick in the ground, and I marked the Shadow every few Hours to see if it moved.

It does! I’m not yet sure to what extent, but the Sun definitely does move in a periodic fashion.
[/quote]

Edited by apophys

Remember that MD is partially (or all) allegory. Sometimes we would do well to consider what value roleplay has in an allegorical space, or what is its nature. So: though Bootes was able to record slight movements of MD's sun and the movement Kyphis refers to is a dramatic movement, I submit to you that the question to be asked is perhaps not "does MD's sun move" but rather "what meaning does the sun's movement have?"

[quote name='Tarquinus' timestamp='1300058920' post='80613']
Remember that MD is partially (or all) allegory. Sometimes we would do well to consider what value roleplay has in an allegorical space, or what is its nature. So: though Bootes was able to record slight movements of MD's sun and the movement Kyphis refers to is a dramatic movement, I submit to you that the question to be asked is perhaps not "does MD's sun move" but rather "what meaning does the sun's movement have?"
[/quote]

That hits the nail of my concern 'presactly' on my head.
the allegorical nature of the Realm itself. However, seeing this game as allegory is a bit difficult at the start, being so conditioned by many other online games, to look for reason and "clues" within the game structure, and that the first puzzles presented to us beyond story choices are "fight critters and solve a puzzle in Berserker's Way". Interesting the depth and layers this place has the more you dig.

Similarly, I will put forth the question is less "How does the sun move?" as "Why does it move".
Same leap of paradigm.

Just to be semantic here, assuming that it's a traditional planetary system, and that the sun is larger than MD, as such having a larger gravitational pull and causing orbit (of some degree).

The sun doesn't move, MD does.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Grido' timestamp='1300195510' post='80684']
Just to be semantic here, assuming that it's a traditional planetary system, and that the sun is larger than MD, as such having a larger gravitational pull and causing orbit (of some degree).

[/quote]

You remember the box MD came out of? :P You think that will abide by traditional planetary systems? :D

[quote name='Grido' timestamp='1300195510' post='80684']

[/quote]
oooh semantics, can I join?

Assuming modern physics, ie general (or special) relativity, there is no absolute reference frame and neither the sun revolving around the earth nor the earth revolving around the sun are false or uniquely true. It is easier to describe the movements of other planets in our solar system when using the sun as a motionless reference point. Doesn't mean it is impossible or bad to use the earth as reference point. If you reject relativity, then there still exists the law of action-reaction.

Which brings us to the question: are there other planets/boxes in MD space and what does that mean?