Roleplaying

Windy

Back in the day, there were a lot of players who role-played and MD used to HOP! Especially at my Pub. I would like to see role-playing revitalized. There are a lot strenuous rules to go along with it. Especially about God-modding. There are restrictions in all areas of MD as well.

With new players coming in, I believe role-playing should have more impact in the game. Are the new players aware the forum is a place to convey ideas? Especially on this very topic?

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this, especially relatively new players. Perhaps there should be classes available again so we get role-playing done correctly.

[quote name='keida' timestamp='1306428221' post='85148']
Not only that, but i think the Role Playing community should come together in this!!! To bring role playing back together the RIGHT way.
[/quote]

That's it.
I think MD's best point is the odd way of role playing it has. I mean, the freedom of choosing and forming your own character. Here, using your real personalities, you can freely fulfill your dreams... we NEED it :)

Ehm I dont see you suggesting anything or actually finding the root of the problem, if there is a problem. All i can see is that your pub has no Role Players... Your problem.
[quote]Perhaps there should be classes available again so we get role-playing done correctly. [/quote] *coughs* Your idea of roleplaying is classes?????? and you even suggest there is a correct way to roleplay. Strike 1

Also [quote]To bring role playing back together the RIGHT way. [/quote] please enlighten me. What is the wrong and the right way to RP? For example your RP (Keida) to me looks rediculous because it disregards the reality of MD. Is your RP wrong? No offense just making a point.
Yours
TTL

Edited by TTLexceeded

[quote name='TTLexceeded' timestamp='1306430284' post='85157']
Ehm I dont see you suggesting anything or actually finding the root of the problem, if there is a problem. All i can see is that your pub has no Role Players... Your problem.
*coughs* Your idea of roleplaying is classes?????? and you even suggest there is a correct way to roleplay. Strike 1

Also please enlighten me. What is the wrong and the right way to RP? For example your RP (Keida) to me looks rediculous because it disregards the reality of MD. Is your RP wrong? No offense just making a point.
Yours
TTL
[/quote]

i ment bringing RP back TOGETHER, i didnt mean that anybodies rp was wrong.

Edited by keida

*coughs* Your idea of roleplaying is classes?????? and you even suggest there is a correct way to roleplay. Strike 1

Also please enlighten me. What is the wrong and the right way to RP? For example your RP (Keida) to me looks rediculous because it disregards the reality of MD. Is your RP wrong? No offense just making a point.
Yours
TTL
[/quote]

If you look on Zleiphniers papers, he has information on the subject. For example, let's say that your character is going to strike another character. You cannot say, "hits player A and he falls to the ground" that is what is called God-modding. The correct way is " aim's fist at Player A's jaw". this gives player a to respond, either to dodge or to allow the hit. It is very complicated. I've been guilty at God-modding. I've gone out of my way to correct my mistakes in this area.
e.

[/quote]

Yes, as a matter of fact, there is a right and wrong way to roleplay. The simplest example, and the one that most people fall into at one point or another (me too!) is power playing. That is when you try to control other people's characters through your roleplay, especially when drastic events that affect the character happen.

For example:

John: John enters the room and waves politely.
Jen: Jen jumps from behind the bush where she was hidden, and stabs him in the back with her sword, pulls out his liver and cooks it over the fire, lamenting the late John.

That's bad because you are taking over John's character and deciding what the character does in his place.

Instead, one should allow the other player's character to do their own actions. For example:

Jen: Jen jumps out from behind the bush sword at the ready and attempts to stab John in the back.
John: John hearing the bush rattle behind him dives forward barely missing the blade whooshing above his head.
Jen: Jen pulls back into a defensive crouch and readies for another attack.
John: John attempts to roll out of his dive and unsheath his sword in the same time, but only manages to fall flat on his face, stunning him and leaving his back exposed.
Jen: Jen seeing John sprawled on his face decides to press her advantage and thrusts her sword towards John's back
John: John screams in agony as he feels the sharp cold steel penetrate the right side of his back, then mercifully, darkness overcomes him and the pain fades into oblivion.
Jen: Jen carves out John's liver and cooks it over the fire, lamenting the late John.

*Edit* Darn, you all beat me to the punchline..Oh well..

Edited by Esmaralda

[quote name='Windy' timestamp='1306430876' post='85159']
If you look on Zleiphniers papers, he has information on the subject. For example, let's say that your character is going to strike another character. You cannot say, "hits player A and he falls to the ground" that is what is called God-modding. The correct way is " aim's fist at Player A's jaw". this gives player a to respond, either to dodge or to allow the hit. It is very complicated. I've been guilty at God-modding. I've gone out of my way to correct my mistakes in this area.
e.
[/quote]

I also am trying to better my rp and have made mistakes, ive also participated in some rp because i either A) thought it was funny, or B) wanted to have a little fun.

But now i am trying to have serious rp brought back and as windy is, im trying to fix my mistakes.

So all you want is no god mod??? Then dont RP with people that god mod stuff. I still fail to see a problem, a suggestion and the root of the problem. Except the classes suggestion which actually limits the RP rather than enhancing it. I might want to be a junky. Lets create an addicts class, a scarf makers class, a barwomans class etc etc etc

[quote name='TTLexceeded' timestamp='1306431728' post='85164']
So all you want is no god mod??? Then dont RP with people that god mod stuff. I still fail to see a problem, a suggestion and the root of the problem. Except the classes suggestion which actually limits the RP rather than enhancing it. I might want to be a junky. Lets create an addicts class, a scarf makers class, a barwomans class etc etc etc
[/quote]

No, what we are trying to do is bring rping Together, as it used to be. As a community once more

[quote name='TTLexceeded' timestamp='1306431728' post='85164']
[/quote]

You totally missed the point. You are deliberately being disrespectful as well.

From NewPower

The role playing.
I cannot get the validation code to reply ,anyway, what about when players are mp3 they can be divided in small groups, a group with 3 players. Its like a family, they can be divided when they reach mp5 and they can tell also spoilers to each other. I mean, if the game creates a council, which chooses the name of the "family" which depends by the name of the players like: Dark magician , ghost and " Crazy wizard" The name of this family is "sinister magicians" so they get a role in the first day of playing, it makes the game much more interesting, and the name of the family appear on the profile. The game could tell they a "little " secret about the realm, that depends by the name of the players, family ,ect.
I dont know, but this seems interesting and MAKES the game more interesting. What do you thing, I will work more on this. :)

All in all, no god-mod, no predefined classes (now these are secondary topics here) Only the same various, but so fantastic role-playing community as it was once ago... in my first times here, I remember it well. Since I've returned to MD after months - I can feel a difference... so, bringing the community together in many other ways, that's the point mainly, I suppose.

And... erm, Windy, a pub is just always welcome to me. I mean, you'll have my support as a frequenter :D

(edit to add the "Bedroom" thoughts below)

I believe the issue with the word "Class" which TTL notesd, is that he is seeing the word as "ranger/barbarian/wizard" like many other RPG games. This is bad.
Windy, if I am reading her words correctly, implied a "school" to spread the word of Roleplaying, and explain to any new folks about god-modding, and such. Not a class, as character archetype, but a class as in teachers, for ..er.. meta-gaming explaining of things.

That being said, I agree that RP should be more welcomed in the Realm, from Loreroot and all the Lands.

I'll try to encourage it at the Pub (currently Wind's Sanctuary). If an actual 'Scene' is developed, so much the better, though I would recommend it be a sub-scene (perhaps like the inside of the Aramory, or Capital Weaponshop, etc?), as adding new full scenes is probably against Mur's plan for the map and coordinates. Not sure if it becomes popular or not how such "Roleplayed Pub" would clash with teh RP Reality requirement if it goes "Moderate" or such... but it's also something to consider... After all, Bob Bloomed, why not a Pub opens!

I've never been to the 'bedroom' that requires keys to enter, so unsure how that works mechanics-wise, but may be a similar option for a Pub?

Edited by Maebius

[quote name='Prince Lewas' timestamp='1306433496' post='85171']
All in all, no god-mod, no predefined classes (now these are secondary topics here) Only the same various, but so fantastic role-playing community as it was once ago... in my first times here, I remember it well. Since I've returned to MD after months - I can feel a difference... so, bringing the community together in many other ways, that's the point mainly, I suppose.

And... erm, Windy, a pub is just always welcome to me. I mean, you'll have my support as a frequenter :D
[/quote]
Thank you Lewas! THAT is the point i am trying to make!! I left for a few months as well and have seen a HUGE difference in md as i returned! it makes me sad to see how MD has become (COMPARED!!!!!!) to how it used to be.

DO NOT mistake, MD has gotten better in other ways, but RP has gotten bad.

[quote name='keida' timestamp='1306432877' post='85169']
From NewPower

The role playing.
I cannot get the validation code to reply ,anyway, [b]what about when players are mp3 they can be divided in small groups[/b], a group with 3 players. Its like a family, they can be divided when they reach mp5 and they can tell also spoilers to each other. [b]I mean, if the game creates a council, which chooses the name of the "family" which depends by the name of the players like: Dark magician , ghost and " Crazy wizard" The name of this family is "sinister magicians" so they get a role in the first day of playing[/b], it makes the game much more interesting, and the name of the family appear on the profile. The game could tell they a "little " secret about the realm, that depends by the name of the players, family ,ect.
I dont know, but this seems interesting and MAKES the game more interesting. What do you thing, I will work more on this. :)
[/quote]

Sounds interesting... I would try this out.
Anyway, it's a bit similar to the citizenship system, isn't it?

[quote name='Maebius' timestamp='1306433557' post='85172']
I'll try to encourage it at the Pub (currently Wind's Sanctuary). If an actual 'Scene' is developed, so much the better, though I would recommend it be a sub-scene (perhaps like the inside of the Aramory, or Capital Weaponshop, etc?), as adding new full scenes is probably against Mur's plan for the map and coordinates. Not sure if it becomes popular or not how such "Roleplayed Pub" would clash with teh RP Reality requirement if it goes "Moderate" or such... but it's also something to consider... After all, Bob Bloomed, why not a Pub opens!

I've never been to the 'bedroom' that requires keys to enter, so unsure how that works mechanics-wise, but may be a similar option for a Pub?
[/quote]

I agree with this sub-scene idea. Yeah, why not? :)

A beer or flask in hand to enter? :D

[color=purple]EDIT BUTTTON!! - Grido[/color]

Edited by Grido

[quote name='Prince Lewas' timestamp='1306434244' post='85174']
Sounds interesting... I would try this out.
Anyway, it's a bit similar to the citizenship system, isn't it?
[/quote]

From NewPower:

RE:RE:The role playing.
Ok, im working on this , i dont want to be the only working. The idea is, to have a role since from the start. IF you reach mp5 you have to leave the group. And start the CARRIER .It seems more like a school system, not like citizenship. Lets take it like you are less than 18 year and you go to school. If you reach the mp5 you pass 18 years and you are an "adult" now. I think that you should choose also a school like( MB school, GG school ect) .

also from NewPower

I have another idea, what about if they get divided into schools , i mean the 4 mainlands schools . The get some questions(after a week, after they learn something how the things goes in MB) and when they reach mp4 they can change the mainland(if they want) . It's a bit like, *Harry Potter* Tell me if you like this idea .

Weird...

Am I the only one who thinks MD got better, rather than worse as you all say? :P
Except saying that, I don't want to interfere in your... discussions... :P I already said too much I have on the subject on too much topics, about your "definitions" of roleplay.

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1306436567' post='85181']
Weird...

Am I the only one who thinks MD got better, rather than worse as you all say? :P
Except saying that, I don't want to interfere in your... discussions... :P I already said too much I have on the subject on too much topics, about your "definitions" of roleplay.
[/quote]

Md has gotten better in every way EXCEPT rp. Personally i fell in love with MD BECAUSE of the rp. and it is getting harder and harder to find good rpers

The people make up Md.without the people The MD worls would not last long.

Edited by keida

The game mechanics have improved etc. But the RP has plummeted. I also joined mainly for the RP, these days where it used to be in almost overwhelmingly realistic in all the sanctuaries and a few other spots I can honestly only think of three places I would go to RP.

Hard to find good RP-ers? I'm almost always in character. It seems to me what you want to find is trivial RPers.

Good RP requires a lot of knowledge about the nature of the MD realm, which almost everybody who replied in this thread lacks. Create RP-ing groups? Hello! We kind of already have those... Much better ones than those you suggest. They are called lands...

Classes? So, you want MD to become yet another DnD clone?

Windy leading a school for RPing would result in new players creating things from thin air and flinging fireballs all about... You'd just get a lot of mp3 demi-gods. And don't we already have enough of those here?

Suggestion: Read the story mode, read the AL, read the realms RP requirements. Find out what the MD realm really is and then talk about RPing in MD terms. You're just making yourselves look silly this way.

Edited by Ravenstrider

We obviously have different definitions of good RP, for me a good RPer is someone who starts of somewhere between rubbish and moderate skill wise then visibly develops over time.

I also fail to see how lands qualify as RPing groups in anything but the very loosest sense.

Windy's Pub used to be something of an RP group, an RP group is a group who congregate together for the purpose of RPing, this isn't the case with the lands.

Edited by Necromancer Mortis

"Role-playing refers to the changing of one's behaviour to assume a role, either unconsciously to fill a social role, or consciously to act out an adopted role."

So, rping is not just blue text being flung about, but it's creating a character and acting as that character would. RP is being in character all the time... Having an RP group in a RPing game is just silly. As I said, that's trivial RP.

And seeing that characters and their roles in MD are tightly bound to lands in 90% of cases, I'd say that lands are more than loosely connected to RP.

You're either being deliberately obtuse or missing the point entirely. Life is trivial, live with it. Most of life's joy comes from trivial things, why should this not be so with role-playing when it holds a mirror to so many aspects of life?

@Ravenstrider: you are right - RP is not about blue text; it's about people spending some time and effort to build their roles and character. It seems that most people just do not do it - or do it without any reference to MD. If RP class was an opportunity to make people consider their character/ role/ allignment - it's a good idea. And it seems the only in this thread...
I do not know Mya's and Rheagar's statistics but I suspect majority of players did not spent much time learning even about lands. IF people join lands/ alliances because their pals are there it clearly could be improved.