Memory Stones Guild Location?

Kyphis the Bard

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name=Announcements]
Ann. 1896 - [2011-07-09 03:33:48 - Stage 10]
Memory stones functionality is done. They work in the following way: If you have a memory stone, and a spell, you can use all the casts of that spell at once to "memorize" that spell into the stone, enchanting it. The memory stone will then transform into an enchanted stone, named after the stored spell. This is a usable, tradeable item. When someone uses it, it will grant that person a limited number of casts from the stored spell, till the casts get consumed or for a period of 6 month. When casts run out or 6 month pass, the spell will vanish from that persons spells. Memory stones are a resource type of item and its gathering will be possible soon.[/quote]
[quote name=Announcements]
Ann. 1899 - [2011-07-09 07:38:06 - Stage 10]
Acquiring memory stones
Aranna and Lone Wolf were granted the stone detector item to be able to gather the memory stone resource and make it avaiable on the market (at prices or requirements they decide). This is not a guild, it is a freelance activity and a temporary way to make memory stones available and analyse market evolution and use. The tools can be taken away from them at any time but their trade benefits and/or gathered stones will remain as their reward. Aranna and Lone Wolf are supposed to be competing traders of the Memory stone resource so be sure you check both their offers when you wish to aquire a memory stone from them. This is experimental, discuss it on forum.[/quote]

Firstly, I would like to point out that at current there is not a Guild for the gathering of Memory Stones. This post is just about discussing which land it should be allied with should a formal guild ever be established for this purpose. To this end, I would like people to respond to the above poll.

I think it would be a good idea if a representative from each interested land would post an argument for why it should be in their land.
Remember of course that this is just getting your opinion, Mur as always has the final say and may have already decided a land for this guild, should he ever make it a guild.

I believe this guild would be most suited to the Archives.
The Archives are a neutral land, and we already have a treasury for supporting our projects. Most of our members are also adept spell casters, allowing for spells to be added to memory stones in the same place they are purchased.
As we are required to remain Neutral, wars and other political developments should not impact our probability of selling wares to any person, nor should we have much difficulty harvesting the memory stones when required.
I would also like to see this guild located in the Archives, as I believe that it will help to promote interest in the MDA. Because a lot of the duties that the Archivists and Legend Speakers perform are not widely publicized, a lot of people ignore the Archives.

[[i]The following is purely my own reasons, and not representative of the archives in any way beyond myself[/i]]
I do not believe that the Guild, if created, should be associated with Marind Bell, as they now have the Water Gatherers. As a main land, it would also make situations complex in the event of war, even if the guild is itself neutral.
I do not believe that the Guild, if created, should be associated with Loreroot, as they already have the Woodcutters. Again, they also have complications in the event of war, however in the past we have seen that Lorerootian Alliances tend to be more liberal, so this is less of a concern.
I do not believe that the Guild, if created, should be associated with Necrovion, because their land already contains many, many secrets and natural resources. I also believe they would be the most likely to close borders in the event of war or other political instability.

[color="#C0C0C0"]Note to the Mods: If the King/Queen of one of the four lands requests that one of their subjects posts be removed from this topic, I'm not going to mind (ie, you have free reign to edit this topic without discussing/notifying me). Primarily this is in relation to the idea it be a leader chosen representative who presents the argument for that land.[/color]

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

I personally think there should not be a land-affiliated guild (and since guilds need land affiliation, then maybe no guild at all) for memory stones, if the gathering tools are going to be tied to be usable only by citizens of that land. The reason is unlike other resources, memory stones is a feature that affects much, much more people as there are spellcasters (and people who want to cast spells) everywhere. Limiting it to a single land would, IMHO, inevitably limit the spread of the feature. It would happen even if the land where the guild is placed is neutral, because people can't gather the stones without becoming a citizen of said land, and therefore locked out of the possibility of gathering the stones if they choose to remain loyal to their current land. That said, if the gathering tools are not set to same land only then it would not be an issue.

If I do have to choose a land for the guild to be based on though, I think MDA is the most suited because archiving is in essence the preservation of memories, so a resource that does just that seems most suitable to MDA.

Hmmm I believe MD already has comparable number of guilds to the number of active players - and sometimes even guild members do not know guilds mission/ objectives.... And activity... Well, anough to read http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/9365-synopsis-of-alliance-activity/...
I do not think new guild is a good idea... especially since it would hold quite powerful monopoly and steady source of income for its members (I do not think Lair Keepers can freely trade drachs, can they?)...
I think Memory Stone (great idea BTW) would be much better very slowly regenerating resource, automatically collected in locations (with random regeneration time for each location or different timer for each). This way explorers would be rewared for their exploration and no single person/ ally would control all thoughts stored.
I vote - no ally

LE: nothing wrong with guilds earening coins for their work... but to balance thinkgs out there should be dependences between guilds products and taxes for state (research, 'army') guilds

Edited by xrieg

• Root Admin

I do not think a guild is a good idea. From Mur's posts i think its pretty clear he wants these guys in competition, and if at the moment there are only a certain limited amount of tools, there is no point having a guild if there are only two people in it, if they are to oppose each other.

So, i voted no to all lands since a guild is not a good idea. I dont even see why you posted the topic, since they have been specifically said they are NOT a guild.

This competition is only during the experimental stage, if the memory stones are successful then Mur said he would turn it into a guild (unless i wasn't paying attention while he was speaking to me). But it will only be turned into a guild if it is successful

I have to agree with Chewett and Udgard.. I think that it would be better for this to stay neutral, and therefore not become a guild within any land.
Seeing as certain tools will only be able to be used when in the correct citizenship, then surely it would make sense for a few tools to stay outside any land, so that they may be used by whomever wishes to?

• Root Admin

[quote name='aranna' timestamp='1310292111' post='87512']
This competition is only during the experimental stage, if the memory stones are successful then Mur said he would turn it into a guild (unless i wasn't paying attention while he was speaking to me). But it will only be turned into a guild if it is successful
[/quote]

Wow... it just gets better and better. So basicly once the competition has died down, and as its current prince memory stones are being sold for 2 Gold, They will band together in a guild and hike the prices up even more?

I guess this is a way of taking coins from the foolhardy.

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1310299753' post='87517']
Wow... it just gets better and better. So basicly once the competition has died down, and as its current prince memory stones are being sold for 2 Gold, They will band together in a guild and hike the prices up even more?

I guess this is a way of taking coins from the foolhardy.
[/quote]
You haven't asked me for my price's yet. PM me if you wish to know them as i don't want my competitor finding out my prices

[09/07/11 06:59] Muratus del Mur:but at some point later a serious guild will be made and then they have NO guarantee that they will be selected for it or not

Unless Mur changes his mind, there will be a guild, and I, for one, think that this whole topic is pointless <<

Either
1) Mur will assign a land for balance purposes,
2) The activity will remain a capitalistic free-market competition, in which case there should be no guild, or
3) The players with the power will band together to make a defacto monopoly, in which case why should we deny them the rights to set up their own alliance, however and wherever they want?

p.s. I voted for MDA as it is a functional fit, very esthetically pleasing, but you could argue lots of ways.... GG is the lab that cooks up new magical things...