MP3 Viscosity

Seigheart

I have been talking with one of the younger players about the viscosity of certain newbie areas.

Places like the Underground have a high newbie traffic. But VERY low traffic in general. Reason being a certain game quest.

This player showed a concern that it would take hours to get through the underground because of the incredibly high locaton AP.

So, I was thinking, why not make the AP viscosity MP4+ only? MP3s don't need to suffer something as silly as AP Restrictions that others have to. It is the learning stage, and waiting an hour to go one scene is a bit much, right?

~Seigheart

I proposed to set MP3 regen counters 3x faster http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/9999-viscosity-thread - it would be more consistent with game mechanics and it would be significant improvement for exploring. Complete viscosity removal would be too exploitable - especially since some locations are planned to be shifted to AP control. They would have to be made MP3 inaccessible.

Edited by xrieg

The only thing I see that would be exploitable here would be the fact that someone could create an Army (Liberty *coughs*) of MP3s to alter the Viscosity, but if the MP3s couldn't be affected by the viscosity, it stands to reason that they shouldnt be able to alter it either.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Vicarious' timestamp='1310932707' post='88177']
The only thing I see that would be exploitable here would be the fact that someone could create an Army (Liberty *coughs*) of MP3s to alter the Viscosity, but if the MP3s couldn't be affected by the viscosity, it stands to reason that they shouldnt be able to alter it either.
[/quote]

No, thats not exploitable either. When viscosity is lowered, Alts are checked before it is. meaning that you can move the entire Lib army through an area, and only lower it by 4. Because only the first account moving through will lower it.

I mean: with regen timer solution MP3 learns moving in MD world the same way higher MPs do - their gameplay is just more fastpaced in some aspects. Turning off viscosity would require to develop in the future two sets of rules MP3 and MP4+... and I guess not all implications may be obvious then at a first glance (more maintenance). Unless the difference would be basically setting effective viscosity for MP3 to be 0 everywhere and some location entrances would be inaccessible for MP3

BTW: shouldn't the thread be moved to New Ideas forum section?

• Root Admin

[quote name='xrieg' timestamp='1310934594' post='88180']
I mean: with regen timer solution MP3 learns moving in MD world the same way higher MPs do - their gameplay is just more fastpaced in some aspects. Turning off viscosity would require to develop in the future two sets of rules MP3 and MP4+... and I guess not all implications may be obvious then at a first glance (more maintenance). Unless the difference would be basically setting effective viscosity for MP3 to be 0 everywhere and some location entrances would be inaccessible for MP3BTW: shouldn't the thread be moved to New Ideas forum section?
[/quote]

i dislike your idea because you are just speeding up the gameplay at MP3 where they should actually have it slower so they can learn. Also, faster regen and such wont really help, as in those locations it will still be painfully slow walking around there.

Also, increasing the regen will increase server load, which isnt good, last time Mur increased it it lagged everything up a bit... And wasnt so fun since you couldnt really use the extra time.

[quote name='xrieg' timestamp='1310934594' post='88180']
I mean: with regen timer solution MP3 learns moving in MD world the same way higher MPs do - their gameplay is just more fastpaced in some aspects. Turning off viscosity would require to develop in the future two sets of rules MP3 and MP4+... and I guess not all implications may be obvious then at a first glance (more maintenance). Unless the difference would be basically setting effective viscosity for MP3 to be 0 everywhere and some location entrances would be inaccessible for MP3
[/quote]

(edit for clarifications and glaring typos)

The best solution in my mind is to make Viscosity calculated by MP level. Something like MP#/3 = Viscosity multiplier.
So MP3s would have 3/3=1 multiplyier, and the MP5s would be at 5/3= 1.6 multiplier.
IN this case, the max Viscosity for a newbie would be 40, and those of us at MP5 it would be 64. I like those numbers octally for some reason. :cool:
Of course, if those values are too high, then perhaps adjusting them to a max of 30 (mp5= +48 max viscosity) or such would be more liek "Current" values. Further adjusting of the calculation would be at the judgement of the Muir of course, but would prevent specific If-Then-Else checks to impliment different rules for each MP level and is just a quick math calculation, instead, and globally adjustable with ease.

Having a max of 30 would still slow down exploration of "unused/thick/viscous" scenes, but a single regen tick woudl allow movement for them, rather than the current issue of one step every half hour or so, on average, once you get "stuck" in a distant place. Yet, the MP4/5 folks who are in theory more used to things, would still suffer a "two tick" pause, like it is currently.

Of course metaphorically, this would mesh well with my thoughts on Mind Power being able to influence the realm more directly, and vice-versa too, and thus might "fit" MD properly, the way I see it's symbolism in some regards.

Edited by Maebius

The problem I see is it builds too quick, and it is too hard to clear. MDA index room filled up overnight, for instance, and we don't have enough active players to drive it down again.

Edited by Fyrd Argentus