Quests and contests

xrieg

There are two reasons I write this 'article':
1. immaterial for all I write below,
2. numerous complains from newer players that MD is fighting only, no NPC, and after full 5 hours playing some players still have stronger crits.
Well, MagicDuel is not only fighting and patience is the major skill to master in the first few days. There are usually multiple quests and contests running - only one should make an effort to find them. In most games you just hack and slash your way to some checkpoint where something flashes and you know you will be rewarded for bringing or killing something. Well, MD has no quests of this kind. Quests and contests are advertised:
1. on the forum, see http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/forum/16-contests-quests-and-adventures/
2. in the quests page in-game (see the top of the page - find Quests)
3. in other players Q-pages (click on player name, for senior players there are usually multiple yellow signs under the avatar, seek the one with letter 'Q')
4. you stumble upon them in-game (such as Berserker's Puzzle -> Loreroot Guards, Broken Pattern)
Solving quests is the best way of learning the game - and second most effective way to get stronger creatures to fight or coins
Quests in MD are very different, as:
1. there is very few automated quests/ contests running for a long time (Burns's clickable quest among notable exemptions) - as they are supposed to be subject to abuse (spoilers, alts etc); therefore most quests are short lived and human-driven,
2. most quests are created and with prizes funded by players.
As my 'article' is clearly for new players I will give some hints about the most popular ways of quests participation, hoping it's not too much of a spoiler:
1. work hard, hoping that your effort will be appreciated by quest creators.... well, it would be nice to highly recommend this approach but better read what follows,
2. think smart, consider your questing strategy - and devise a way to get scoring position with minimal actual effort. Of course it works the best if you can follow quest progress and your adversaries. A few strategies include strategic timeframe of posting (first/last moment/ carpet bombing), criticizing other entries, attempts to influence rules to fit better. May not be the most effective but may offer quite a lot of fun if you are in a right mood, I guess. Just a word of caution, though - this approach is not likely to bring you many friends.
3. have fun, enter the quest if you consider its objectives as a nice idea for entertainment/ game mechanics learning, appreciate and cherish the opportunity you are given. Highly recommended :-)
4. I could skip this method of participation as the 'article' is for new players mostly - but could be accused of critical facts omissions and I do not want to risk it. This method of quest participation rarely offers material rewards but must give some huge immaterial rewards as it is immensely popular. There is some age requirement to apply, not sure how high. You do not _enter_ the contest - quite the opposite. You either criticize the quest itself - or its entries (PS do not get discouraged if you see such).

Appendix:
Notable new players quests, introducing to the realm and highly recommended, created by:
1. Mya Celestia (MP3 only)
2. Princ Rhaegar
3. Burns

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

• Root Admin

[quote name='xrieg' timestamp='1311798826' post='88966']
2. think smart, consider your questing strategy - and devise a way to get scoring position with minimal actual effort. Of course it works the best if you can follow quest progress and your adversaries. A few strategies include strategic timeframe of posting (first/last moment/ carpet bombing), criticizing other entries, attempts to influence rules to fit better. May not be the most effective but may offer quite a lot of fun if you are in a right mood, I guess,
[/quote]

You tell them to work hard in the first, then directly contradict it in the second by telling them to win with the minimal effort in the second?

Then, even worse, you specifically suggest methods that are close enough to cheating, that will earn no friends. Just because you feel its a good way to work, does not mean you should be encouraging such methods.

I cant believe you aim this as newbies, yet suggest methods such as "criticizing other entries, attempts to influence rules to fit better".

And yes, before you all start to neg rep me, I am earning no friends at all with this post, But i feel that such a guide aimed at newbies, with such content, paints MD is a very bad light indeed. People suggesting you should act dishonourably to win... Not in the MD spirit at all.

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1311799363' post='88968']
You tell them to work hard in the first, then directly contradict it in the second by telling them to win with the minimal effort in the second?

Then, even worse, you specifically suggest methods that are close enough to cheating, that will earn no friends. Just because you feel its a good way to work, does not mean you should be encouraging such methods.

I cant believe you aim this as newbies, yet suggest methods such as "criticizing other entries, attempts to influence rules to fit better".

And yes, before you all start to neg rep me, I am earning no friends at all with this post, But i feel that such a guide aimed at newbies, with such content, paints MD is a very bad light indeed. People suggesting you should act dishonourably to win... Not in the MD spirit at all.
[/quote]

Hmmm... I only state that people take different approaches to quests. About recommendation... I personally recommend the third one
Still, I will modify it a bit in case my disapproval was not plain enough.
PS I really rarely neg rep :-P

[quote name='Vicarious' timestamp='1311804003' post='88976']
The MD "Spirit" is to use what ever means you can imagine to gain the upper hand on others.
[s]Only[/s] those who are willing to risk getting in trouble by pushing rules or boundaries get rewarded. [u]Some also are rewarded for playing fair.[/u]
[/quote]

Corrected.

As Xrieg implied, I think, there are multiple ways to the "top", and each has their methods and chances of failure. Additionally, there are many "tops" for this '[i]game[/i]', be they power, combat skill, friendship, and item hoarding, among many other potentials. To each our own.
While I see where xrieg was going and commend the idea, I think some may misinterpret his words. The Spirit of them, as with MD as I see it, is to enjoy, and look for the challenges ourselves, then form a path to pursue them.

But then again, I have admitted to liking Heretic Archers as well. ;)

Edited by Maebius

The MD spirit is shaped by every one of us who brings something to the party.

Some are as crass as Vicarious/Sig suggests, struggling for supremacy at all costs.

I group myself with the artistic types, struggling for creative originality.

The rewards you receive are those you pursue, providing you have enough stick-to-it-ness.

Some aspire to honorable nobility and a sense of community and team spirit quite unlike what Sig describes.

Look at the different lands through this lens - you will see that "birds of a feather" DO "flock together".