heat collection

Pipstickz

I've noticed higher heat gain than what it should be, most prominently in No Man's Land and Marind Bell, but also in certain places in Necrovion (only tried like 3 scenes) and Loreroot (did a walk-through from front to back, only gained 200-300, so a couple locations). Each time it has been exactly 100 heat per step, rather than the viscosity value.

• 4 weeks later...

Briskness should not work on any land but your homeland (Ann. 1914 - [2011-07-11 04:54:15 - Stage 10]), and as I'm sure anyone could guess, gathering heat in the Tribunal would just be silly if I can just get it in No Man's Land this easily. It still goes up by 100 per step, since the viscosity cap was lowered to -80.

• 1 month later...

Let me add a complaint about SilverTounge. The 100 point heat limit per step does NOT go up when this spell is used.

I'm a pretty "brisk" fellow, and SilverTounge only increases my briskness less than 50%. I'm capped at 100 heat per scene without the spell, and capped at that same 100 heat per step with the spell.

Older players tell me there did not used to be a cap.

I was taken in by the spell description saying certain things WOULD happen to heat gain. Looks like I wasted a wp for this spell.....

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is actually a bug or if it's supposed to be like this.
I did some walking around on Halloween. The average heat I collected in different locations seems contrary to what the announcement says. (I am a citizen of Necrovion)

Marind Bell
[heat raise] Heat raised by 72, influenced by viscosity (-80) and land (outland x1.00)
Golemus Golemicarum
[heat raise] Heat raised by 80, influenced by viscosity (-80) and land (outland x0.00)
Established Housings
[heat raise] Heat raised by 56, influenced by viscosity (-80) and land (outland x3.00)
Loreroot
[heat raise] Heat raised by 72, influenced by viscosity (-80) and land (outland x1.00)
Necrovion
[heat raise] Heat raised by 37, influenced by viscosity (-80), land (home x1.00) and briskness (437)

[quote][color=#cccccc]Ann. 1914 - [2011-07-11 04:54:15 - Stage 10][/color]
Heat based on land works in reversed way than till now. You will gain heat on home territory and lose when outside your land...in general. This can also be reversed back based on location viscosity. Briskness will count only on moving on your own homeland. You will see exact details on each move, below the chat, in the notifications area. This has also some subtle concept implications to why and when heat increases in relation to your surroundings and actions, (I let those for each of you to figure out). [/quote]

Edited by Azull

[quote name='Azull' timestamp='1320276316' post='95164']
Not sure if this is actually a bug or if it's supposed to be like this.
I did some walking around on Halloween. The average heat I collected in different locations seems contrary to what the announcement says. (I am a citizen of Necrovion)

Marind Bell
Golemus Golemicarum
[heat raise] Heat raised by 80, influenced by viscosity (-80) and land (outland x0.00)
Established Housings
[heat raise] Heat raised by 56, influenced by viscosity (-80) and land (outland x3.00)
Loreroot
Necrovion
[heat raise] Heat raised by 37, influenced by viscosity (-80), land (home x1.00) and briskness (437)
[/quote]
Its just being reversed by viscosity, as the announcement said.

If the Viscosity was positive, you would lose heat. Negative viscosity on your homeland causes you to lose heat there as well.

I think this makes sense.

There's a pretty simple equation to finding outland heat;
Viscosity + Heat Gain = Percentage of Viscosity

Those multipliers, the outland x1.00 , x3.00 etc, are really percentages of the viscosity.
1.00 = 10%
3.00= 30%
etc.

So, to find heat gain for an outland scene with a x1.00 multiplier;
Viscosity + Heat Gain = Percentage of Viscosity
- 80 + Heat Gain = .1(-80)
-80 + Heat Gain = -8
Heat Gain = -8 + 80
Heat Gain = 72

Here's my guess for inland Heat Gain;

To find the same thing inland;
Heat Gain = .1(Briskness) + Percentage of Viscosity
Heat Gain = .1(437) + .1(-80)
Heat Gain = 44 (I rounded) - 8
Heat Gain = 36

So, the latter doesn't quite work out. Any idea as to what it could actually be?

Pip's thing is a bug, where as Azull's is normal from what I can figure.

Edited by Brulant

[quote name='Kyphis the Bard' timestamp='1320282365' post='95175']
Its just being reversed by viscosity, as the announcement said.

If the Viscosity was positive, you would lose heat. Negative viscosity on your homeland causes you to lose heat there as well.
[/quote]

Idk. maybe I just don't get it. It just seems odd to me.

Edited by Azull

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1324415882' post='98207']
Is this still occuring?

From the look of it you gain heat in -viscosity non homeland and lose it in +viscosity non homeland.
[/quote]

I gain heat in -viscosity in non homeland not sure about +viscosity
and I lose heat in homeland

Location viscosity: +38
(Action Points cost bonus for land loyalty is "...")

Territory: Necrovion
Tags: none

Notifications
[homeland] You are on home territory
[heat raise] Heat raised by 128, influenced by viscosity (38), land (home x1.00) and briskness (328).

The last time I checked the situation between two, identical in terms of viscosity scenes, was like this: 2703 heat in the first scene, then 2800 at the second. It takes my laptop around 3 seconds to load each scene.

The notification says one thing and reality another.

I experience the same thing in MB or Loreroot, where I have no land bonus and the usual viscosity is -80

Is this supposed to be feature or it is a bug?

• 7 months later...

I've been walking around gathering heat, and I noticed that even though I still always seem to get 100 heat per step, it's not often that I see the tens place where you'd think it would be after taking a few steps. I did a bit of walking around checking it out, and it seems to me that even when my heat is empty, it is still counting down from 99 to 0, and when I take the first step it will give me whatever that number is and then proceed with the 100 per step.

Example: I took one step, 72 heat gained, kept walking back and forth checking my heat after every step, until I got over 1000, then I took one extra step and stored the heat in an orb. I click the ring, no heat, then took a step and got 139.

I don't know whether there is any logical explanation or deeper meaning and haven't tested what you have, but the messages down on the right keep saying I am getting more than I actually am. I just hope to get the heat it says, or at least not to be fulled by the system messages :)

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Invie has worked out the current formula for heat gain when moving in your homeland, at least currently in MDA:

erolin heat gain = (Briskness / 4) + viscosity.

Land mulitiplier is always zero in MDA - there is a term in the old formulas that might add more in other homelands.

Good job, Invie!

Edited by Fyrd Argentus