Help with item image transparency

Rumi

I know this topic comes up frequently and I apologize for starting a fresh thread. I looked at some item transparency threads already and I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I want to upload an artwork I drew for an item. Drawing is grey #2 pencil on white paper. I'm having trouble getting transparency around my item, but not through the item. Also, when I attempt to resize, the image turns to crud.

Someone please help me. :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Neno, maybe you can help me with this?

I took a few scans of the drawing. None of them came out all that great, and I might scan again, but maybe you tell me what you think. My scanner can save to tiff or jpeg and I think i might try tiff next time instead of jpeg.

I would suggest

- scan with highest scan resolution you have
- ajust contrast and other
- reseize and crop to size you want
- make toutch up, even pixel toutchoup if you want
- use a custom selection tool to make the outline you want to keep
- paste as new image, save as gif (it is lost less compression) with transparent

note: tiff is lost less compression, so wont make artifac ; jpeg is wit lost compression, and will make artifac to the picture

best i suggest is gif

Edited by Tom Pouce

• 3 weeks later...

I spent a bit of time messing around with GIMP today and had some decent success. I was able to scan directly through GIMP instead of the crappy scan program that came with Canon Printer/Scanner, allowing me to save directly as PNG.

I noticed a lot of MD items are done in color and I wonder if anyone has a suggestion for the next appropriate steps with this image.

Please, any help is appreciated.

Edited by Rumi

• 3 weeks later...

Added brown for the handle wrap. Meant to do it as separate layer but accidentally deleted the layer before my most successful attempt to fill w/color.

I tried using a low opacity silver or grey color for the blade itself, but every time it just washed out the shading. I thought maybe to just leave the white with shading to give the silver blade color.

Final thoughts before upload?

• Root Admin

[quote name='Liberty4life' timestamp='1338805902' post='113358']
is it allowed to add colors with software? i thought that ya are supposed to draw it with color pencils if ya want it colored >_>
[/quote]

The majority of items are coloured with software, like the coloured creatures are. I believe this is allowed.

I thought they were meant to be coloured by hand as well?

The page for item image uploads says hand drawn only, however it also says the images should be b/w there, which doesn't sound right

[quote name='Grido' timestamp='1338823763' post='113366']

The page for item image uploads says hand drawn only, however it also says the images should be b/w there, which doesn't sound right
[/quote]

I would prefer pc colored ones...

They are still unique and hand made... I think

• Root Admin

[quote name='Grido' timestamp='1338823763' post='113366']

[/quote]
[quote name='Liberty4life' timestamp='1338835526' post='113377']
thats most likely got copy/pasted from avy upload page onto item page

hmm item images can be colored of that i am certain, but seems like we need clarification on how they can be colored
[/quote]
[quote name='Liberty4life' timestamp='1338805902' post='113358']
is it allowed to add colors with software? i thought that ya are supposed to draw it with color pencils if ya want it colored >_>
[/quote]

I did the colouring for the MD Awards 2010(?) medal item images, and was asked to colour them using computer software, these were uploaded by rendril and i was under the impression there was no issue with them. Just remembered this when seeing one of these medals.

i dont think that matters, those are medals

in here its about item images, so... since avys nor item images arent allowed to be made with epen, then i dont think one is allowed to color item images with computer, especially since there is no visible (or almost to none) difference between epen and real pencil, while coloring images physically and eletronically, difference is easily spoted, so....

• Root Admin

[quote name='Liberty4life' timestamp='1340136550' post='115437']
i dont think that matters, those are medals

in here its about item images, so... since avys nor item images arent allowed to be made with epen, then i dont think one is allowed to color item images with computer, especially since there is no visible (or almost to none) difference between epen and real pencil, while coloring images physically and eletronically, difference is easily spoted, so....
[/quote]

So for offical medals you are allowed to colour them with computer, but for the "peons" they arnt? sounds entirely stupid to me.

it makes sense actually if ya take a look at things that are done by hand and things that are done by computer, for example scene has its pict hand made, while arrows are computer made, so medals are just as arrows, just sticker on fridge imo

anyway its pointless to argue about somethin we arent up to decide about, best is to see wut council or mur have to say about this if they even notice this question