MagicDuel, HTML5, Android, IOS

Rumi

I know every one of us has thought about it at some point.

The whole world is movIng toward mobile platforms, and it would be nice if we could embrace it. That's right, the MagicDuel app.

I sometimes use magicduel.com/mobile on IOS and Android, which which works fine but clearly has its limitations. Flash for android does not really work for MD.

Obviously, a functional mobile app is a very tall order, but maybe something to start thinking about? The nature of the game is well suited to the small screen, I think.

I'd like to hear from the coders and rendril, council, and Mur, if there is feasibility to this. A mobile version might increase the player base substantially.

Here's to the future!

Edited by Rumi

• Root Admin

I am Bored started to write a java version of MD that allowed him to do numerous things. But he didnt tell anyone about it. It was quite amusing looking at the code.

Since most of the game utilises the flash backgrounds and such, do you not think this is going to be quite a large task to "move over" to a HTML5 such website?

Not to mention the time needed to make some form of mobile app that allows similar function to MD.

Personally, i see that a HTML5 version of the game on the /mobile/ site, and work on that to allow some movement and such. Make it more Text based and such.

I dont see any benifit from spending all the time moving everything over to a HTML5 website. Not that i dont think it would be nice, but i dont see the reasoning benifits.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Rumi' timestamp='1340547362' post='115945']
I sometimes use magicduel.com/mobile on IOS and Android, which which works fine but clearly has its limitations. [b]Flash for android does not really work for MD.[/b]
[/quote]
[quote name='Liberty4life' timestamp='1340555483' post='115950']
umm no flash on android? only reason i can think of is armv6 cpu arhitecture
[/quote]

Learn to read posts noob :P

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1341130996' post='116348']
Actually, Adobe have said they will stop supporting and creating flash for android

Source - [url="http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/06/flash-player-and-android-update.html"]http://blogs.adobe.c...oid-update.html[/url]
[/quote]
Ha! pity now they will make Chrome an important version of android... I hate Chrome... >>

Everyone knows flash is a lousy experience on a touchscreen. MD seems well suited to a touchscreen (although touchscreen typing generally sucks).

Can magicduel/mobile be implemented with a touch friendly interface?

[quote name='Rumi' timestamp='1341163273' post='116416']
Everyone knows flash is a lousy experience on a touchscreen. MD seems well suited to a touchscreen (although touchscreen typing generally sucks).

Can magicduel/mobile be implemented with a touch friendly interface?
[/quote]

Right now I DOUBT. Maybe in some years...

• 2 weeks later...

Just switched to a new android phone (samsung gs3) running Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0). MD is a surprisingly usable experience. I can do just about everything I can do on my macbook, with very little navigation trouble. MD always crashed my previous phone (motorola droid/milestone) running Froyo (Android 2.2) within 5 minutes of gameplay.

Can anyone else comment on their experience trying MD on Android?

I use Android 2.3.5 on my HTC Wildfire S. If I can really be bothered with trying to use MD on my phone, then I can just about: chat, send PMs, all right sidebar stuff, read announcements,and view papers of those in current scene. What I cannot do is fight, move, read the story, any left sidebar stuff, cast some spells, use some items, hear anything or edit papers. Essentially, I can do everything that the current mobile version can and not much more. The user interface on a mobile however is outlandish and too detailed. It requires a lot of zooming in and out, vertical and horizontal scrolling and I'm plagued by AJAX errors, not to mention it's incredibly slow. Flash rarely works on my phone and popups don't work either. I don't recommend creating 'apps' as such as this would require porting to multiple different OSs, but rather to redevelop the mobile version of MD to make it more mobile friendly.

• Root Admin

[quote name='The Warrior' timestamp='1342116405' post='117365']
I use Android 2.3.5 on my HTC Wildfire S. If I can really be bothered with trying to use MD on my phone, then I can just about: chat, send PMs, all right sidebar stuff, read announcements,and view papers of those in current scene. What I cannot do is fight, move, read the story, any left sidebar stuff, cast some spells, use some items, hear anything or edit papers. Essentially, I can do everything that the current mobile version can and not much more. The user interface on a mobile however is outlandish and too detailed. It requires a lot of zooming in and out, vertical and horizontal scrolling and I'm plagued by AJAX errors, not to mention it's incredibly slow. Flash rarely works on my phone and popups don't work either. I don't recommend creating 'apps' as such as this would require porting to multiple different OSs, but rather to redevelop the mobile version of MD to make it more mobile friendly.
[/quote]

I agree with that using my iphone, its much easier to make some nice HTML than making 5 different types of apps for phones lol all phones have a browser nowadays.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Rumi' timestamp='1342316864' post='117555']
would it be difficult to code a mood panel widget for android?
[/quote]

How would the widget differ from the mobile version of the mood panel?

• Root Admin

Or this link, which provides a nicer more mobile link, with links to other stuff at the top

http://magicduel.com/mobile/?p=mo

Im here believing that he knows of those, and therefore wants the widget to do something more than load a webpage...

----------------

<googled android widget>

whats the point of having as useless information as the mood panel on your home screen...

There are a few problems with MD mobile as it is.
First the mood panel page allows you to only view the mood panel, when for example you want to go to your inventory or the PLs you get a 404 error. Furthermore you can't send PMs from the chat screen, whenever you click a name on your friends list or click send message on some player either nothing happens or a blanc page opens. You can only send PMs from the mail tab.

If these things are fixed, they add some way to walk around, perhaps the possibility to fight, read other peoples papers and watch their inventory and PL I think MD mobile should be good to go for a while.

Edit:
Also the view all and view last 20 button on the news page are broken.

Edited by samon