Quest Support Initiative

Ackshan Bemunah

For anyone interested, I'm aware of a group of players interested in bringing quest-making back into the public eye.

They are looking for a coder and any other players willing to create an interface and attached support network for new players to become connected with resources to bring their quest ideas to fruition.

As things stand, the system would be completely player-operated.

Post here if interested or willing to help!

[quote name='Liberty4life' timestamp='1350925894' post='124459']
what kind of things need to get coded and how do ya mean "completely player-operated"? those two things seem contradictional to me

does that means no clickies? or wut?
[/quote]

Clickies...would be a good thought. When I said player-operated I meant that prior communications with council suggest that this is something for players to create and maintain. MDscript falls into this category. Just nothing hardcoded, or officially sponsored, which for some odd reason was privately assumed.

Edited by Ackshan Bemunah

Acksan, not sure what you're looking for.

Lots of people would willing to step forward and help if you give more detail what you need.

I created several quests before I could do clickies - can easily be done. I even have some alts just to act as sign posts if needed.

Award 3 wp's and you can get a quest page from the Librarian. I'm not sure who can give you wp codes to assign these days -- no kings -- all I can offer is wp's off codes already put in my assignment allocation.

Get 3 wp's yourself and can you can buy that clickie edit ability.

Okay.

Chewett sent me a conversation involving Seigheart, BFH, and Fang about the qualms newbies have with quests. Two that stood out to me were trust issues associated with talking to people about the quest and with trusting people to sponsor rewards.

BFH suggested an interface for requesting quest rewards from Council or something, to address the second problem. Apparently this can be done in MDScript.

He also suggested questmaking incentives...I don't know yet whether it is a good idea to incentivize quest creation consistently. Thought experimenting with a few ideas about how this might work.

As far as other resources...I don't know, for some reason my broken head thought it might be a good idea to include some helpful veteran names (I have no clue which ones) and (if possible) a built-in mail or built-in PMing function so you don't have to go hunting people down to start delving into what works and what doesn't with people with more of a clue.

Not sure if that is more clear or just equally vague...

Trust issues with who talking to whom about the quest?

While a list of able veterans willing to help with various sorts of quests would be a nice resource for quest makers, an automatic PMing function doesn't seem right for MD. The buddy list/saved PMs/mood panel already straddle the borderline between convenience and realism; this would only worsen the divide.
And this functionality has been [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/7137-new-rules-regarding-md-script-and-item-customizations/"]brought up before[/url]..

Too much consultation could degrade quests' originality, but that's up to the discretion of the adviser.

Edited by Zyrxae

Trust issues is simple, you don't talk to anybody about a quest you want to make. If the concept is good, they might steal it, if it's okay, they might win with insider knowledge. I've personally only ever talked to my ancient buddies when i wanted to make quests, like Shadow, Chewett and so on, never to people i met on the road.

On the other hand, if a newbie just makes a quest out of nowhere, it'll likely not work out. You need to run through a bunch of quests and watch what people like and what works in MDs population before you can start doing your own, and that bit gets harder and harder as less quests are active.

That list of able veterans was on the forum already, it proved pointless. Only 4 people ever contacted 'us' over time, mostly because people either want to run their own quests, or rather ask help from their friends than random strangers.

Storing data like rewards in an array via clickie seems slightly problematic, unless all the rewards are from the same people, (and there's a slight risk of double-dipping depending on how it's handled, due to PHP multi-threading limitations it seems as clickies can get spammed in a short amount of time)

That being said, I'm always willing to help out if anyone needs an ear or eye.

I'll second Burns' excellent comments too, regarding feasibility and prior efforts. :)

[quote name='Ackshan Bemunah' timestamp='1350958699' post='124479']
BFH suggested an interface for requesting quest rewards from Council or something, to address the second problem. Apparently this can be done in MDScript.
[/quote]

Would this "interface for requesting quest rewards" be much different from the one available for the TK sponsorship requests?

darkraptor

TK had something similar at the "Hidden Orb" plant at GoE (no password needed there)... to ask for quest sponsorship. It works very nicely.
and I wonder if that's sort of what BFH was thinking of? (forgot to mention that in my prior post).

• Root Admin

Chewett sent me a conversation involving Seigheart, BFH, and Fang about the qualms newbies have with quests. Two that stood out to me were trust issues associated with talking to people about the quest and with trusting people to sponsor rewards.
[/quote]
Indeed i did, a [b]private[/b] conversation with the respective important TK members which was discussing some of the issues before publically putting it on the forum...

[/quote]

That wasnt really what he said... It was to provide people another easier way to request rewards from the TK's, which both BFH and i felt that there wasnt anything really useful as many people dislike using email to contact someone about a game and Seig (note the spelling!) wasnt the most contactable person. It was done via MDScript and hence the reward requesting was created.

He also suggested questmaking incentives...I don't know yet whether it is a good idea to incentivize quest creation consistently. Thought experimenting with a few ideas about how this might work.
[/quote]
This was actually the focal and primary point of the whole PM, it was the reason i contacted Seig in the first place.

As far as other resources...I don't know, for some reason my broken head thought it might be a good idea to include some helpful veteran names (I have no clue which ones) and (if possible) a built-in mail or built-in PMing function so you don't have to go hunting people down to start delving into what works and what doesn't with people with more of a clue.
[/quote]

I can tell you thats not going to be implemented, Murry asked me to remove my postbox service which allowed people to leave messages for each other as he didnt like it, creating a mailing function is not going to be implmented as its even worse than leaving a message for people!

[quote name='DarkRaptor' timestamp='1350981208' post='124493']
Would this "interface for requesting quest rewards" be much different from the one available for the TK sponsorship requests?

darkraptor
[/quote]
[quote name='Maebius' timestamp='1350981455' post='124494']
TK had something similar at the "Hidden Orb" plant at GoE (no password needed there)... to ask for quest sponsorship. It works very nicely.
and I wonder if that's sort of what BFH was thinking of? (forgot to mention that in my prior post).
[/quote]

That interface being created was as a result of the PM i sent to Sieg and BFH. That was the interface that was suggested, Ackshan misread it slightly i believe and thought we were talking about a different interface.

Just to inform the public, this PM was started long before I quit, and I have no control or influence over the TKs. It was revived due, in part, to Fang's indecisive sponsorships to help him control his... "spending" of the treasury.

I have no official role within the TKs, and what ever help I offer, it is in the form of suggestions, and clarifications.

[quote name='DarkRaptor' timestamp='1350981208' post='124493']

darkraptor
[/quote]

It would be different in that the existing system is for quests that are going to happen, have been fully planned, have rewards already, i.e. are viable for TK sponsorship.

[quote name='Chewett']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Indeed i did, a [/font][/color][b]private[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] conversation with the respective important TK members which was discussing some of the issues before publically putting it on the forum...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I respect this, but seeing the conversation that was going on, considered it might be better not to hide.

Don't worry. There may be some loud, cynical voices on the forums, but if you look at that name list, you'll realize that most if not all of it has loud voices...Have you ever been in a small room with three people yelling at you?
.הכל יהיה בסדר

[quote name='Chewett']
Seig(note the spelling!) ...
Sieg
[/quote]
*feverish giggle*

[quote name= 'Seigheart']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just to inform the public, this PM was started long before I quit, and I have no control or influence over the TKs. It was revived due, in part, to Fang's indecisive sponsorships to help him control his... "spending" of the treasury.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have no official role within the TKs, and what ever help I offer, it is in the form of suggestions, and clarifications.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/quote][/font][/color]

Just saying, that help we appreciate. A lot.

As far as the PMing...

I didn't exactly copy-paste the conversation here. (Like I said, loud voices.) Yes, the focal point of the conversation was on incentives for questmaking. This is not a TK role, it's a Mur/Council role -- rewarding good things done for the community. And I don't think it's appropriate to say what's good for the community before it actually happens.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Ackshan Bemunah' timestamp='1350997843' post='124511']
It would be different in that the existing system is for quests that are going to happen, have been fully planned, have rewards already, i.e. are viable for TK sponsorship.
[/quote]

BFH didnt suggest anything of the sort... BFH and I were suggesting the system that was eventually coded by dark raptor... and exists currently.

As i said, it was and still is a private ongoing discussion with various important people...

The whole topic is actually based on something i am pretty sure you have misread... something which has not even reached a point of publicly asking for help...

We are not looking for any coders currently lol

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1350998546' post='124512']
BFH didnt suggest anything of the sort... BFH and I were suggesting the system that was eventually coded by dark raptor... and exists currently.

As i said, it was and still is a private ongoing discussion with various important people...

The whole topic is actually based on something i am pretty sure you have misread... something which has not even reached a point of publicly asking for help...

We are not looking for any coders currently lol
[/quote]

[size=1]Take a deep breath. Count to ten...now read the edit. I need to stop editing my posts.[/size]

I don't care where it's based. I think my idea is a good idea. Maybe I was wrong about having your support...oh well, miscommunication.

• Root Admin

The issue is that because you have entirely changed the post now following posts based on it makes no sense. Its hard to have a coherent discussion if everyone keeps changing posts. I was considering removing the editing ability of posters after X time period, its quite a common occurance on many forums.

• Root Admin

Dont do it again lol, No one is stupid, people just do foolish things...

All you need to remember is that the only time you should be editing your posts is if you have a very important reason to edit it, or minor misc spelling mistakes that dont change the main content of the post. To be honest this thread is kinda a confusing lost cause...

If you are editing your post to add masses of information in, you are definately doing something wrong. The only time i can see is if you are editing the first post of a quest thread, and then if you do it you should bump it stating you have edited the first post.

Otherwise people wont see the changes you made, then others will come along later and not be able to understand the threads as its not in order.