Destruction of Alts

Magistra

When your alt is't destroyed, that is.

Of course. Why would one like to spend hours teaching an alt who may already know everything but is pretending not to? At least I personally wouldn't waste my time on that.

Of course. Why would one like to spend hours teaching an alt who may already know everything but is pretending not to? At least I personally wouldn't waste my time on that.

I'm an MP5 (I'm still trying to be a Protector again but I've had lots of assignments lately) and I still know far from everything. In fact, I'm finding that sometimes I know less than some young MP3s. Why? Because I didn't ask many questions when I was younger. I thought that other people weren't allowed to spoil me with any answers and so I never really asked. I've made a couple of 'alts' just for that feeling of a fresh start. In fact, Change is an alt turned main (she now has far more AD than my original account). Even today I'm tempted by the idea of a change, a fresh start, a new perspective. However, I've spent too much time and money on Change to abandon her unless I want to abandon Magicduel altogether. Thus, any 'fresh starts' will have to happen with her.  I simply don't have enough time to play two characters at once. I wouldn't mind showing around a new character played by an old vet if I had the time for it.

Anyways. Congrats on getting to MP4, Revan! Patience is a virtue, but change can be one as well. :)

Edited by Change

I just wanted to see what would happen if I took other principles. I was robbed of that change.

And I was accused of being to work my way back to Loreloot. You offered me, and I can proof it. I just wanted to play another story. I wanted my alt to go to GG, not to Loreroot.

Don't know who accused you of what (beside the obvious of being an alt, which is not an accusation really).

All I know I went for a Loreroot tour with Ravianna to show her around. I already knew at that point that she was an alt, didn't inquire as in to who's. And I'd do that again. Alt or not, fun is fun.

edit:

bah. forgot to reply on topic -.-

edit2:

now the edit was offtopic ^^

Edited by Shemhazaj

Thank you Burns :)

I'm an MP5 (I'm still trying to be a Protector again but I've had lots of assignments lately) and I still know far from everything. In fact, I'm finding that sometimes I know less than some young MP3s. Why? Because I didn't ask many questions when I was younger. I thought that other people weren't allowed to spoil me with any answers and so I never really asked. I've made a couple of 'alts' just for that feeling of a fresh start. In fact, Change is an alt turned main (she now has far more AD than my original account). Even today I'm tempted by the idea of a change, a fresh start, a new perspective. However, I've spent too much time and money on Change to abandon her unless I want to abandon Magicduel altogether. Thus, any 'fresh starts' will have to happen with her. I simply don't have enough time to play two characters at once. I wouldn't mind showing around a new character played by an old vet if I had the time for it.

Anyways. Congrats on getting to MP4, Revan! Patience is a virtue, but change can be one as well. :)

Is it not possible to learn at MP4 or MP5? If you know less than some MP3's, my first guess would be that those MP3's are alts too, but if they are not, then why not learn them with your old account? Look at me, for example. I never ask newbie questions from my own alt (which I just made check alternate story mode options) but from my own DARK DEMON account. Why use this account and not a newbie account? Cause it has a greater reputation and greater means to get hold of that knowledge due to age and experience.

To all those older players who have alts and pretend to be newbies with them: WHY? Why would you do that? Really, I want to know.

I just wanted to see what would happen if I took other principles. I was robbed of that change.

If that was the only reason, you could have ~easily~ done that without pretending to be a newbie. Heck, you can still do it with another alt. See above question in bold ^^

Don't know who accused you of what (beside the obvious of being an alt, which is not an accusation really).
All I know I went for a Loreroot tour with Ravianna to show her around. I already knew at that point that she was an alt, didn't inquire as in to who's. And I'd do that again. Alt or not, fun is fun.

Well, each person has a different point of view. I see now that some people may be willing to help/show around someone pretending to be a newbie, but not me. I don't find it fun, but feel I'm being exploited cause they firstly lie to me that they're not an alt, and secondly they know the answers of everything beforehand...

edit:
bah. forgot to reply on topic -.-
edit2:
now the edit was offtopic ^^

lol :P

Edited by DARK DEMON

Thank you Burns :)

Is it not possible to learn at MP4 or MP5? If you know less than some MP3's, my first guess would be that those MP3's are alts too, but if they are not, then why not learn them with your old account? Look at me, for example. I never ask newbie questions from my own alt (which I just made check alternate story mode options) but from my own DARK DEMON account. Why use this account and not a newbie account? Cause it has a greater reputation and greater means to get hold of that knowledge due to age and experience.

To all those older players who have alts and pretend to be newbies with them: WHY? Why would you do that? Really, I want to know.

If that was the only reason, you could have ~easily~ done that without pretending to be a newbie. Heck, you can still do it with another alt. See above question in bold ^^

Well, each person has a different point of view. I see now that some people may be willing to help/show around someone pretending to be a newbie, but not me. I don't find it fun, but feel I'm being exploited cause they firstly lie to me that they're not an alt, and secondly they know the answers of everything beforehand...

lol :P

Why would someone make an alt and does not want to be identified as alt? 

I work on fiction fantasy novel since many years and if I would not be able to go deep into totally different characters the outcome would be unsatisfying for everyone.

So if one would like to explore a totally different role in MD it´s not helpful if all know who he/she is. Because people will always remember you as the person you started, because usually we are not open to new things and stick to the known old knowledge we have. So if you Dark Demon would like to explore how it feels to be recognized as an 60 year old lady playing MD as a "wise" witch in MD and everybody would know who that new character is, you would fail playing that role in the first days.  

This might be only one possible reason why one would like to stay anonymous and playing a new "noob" MP3 character is part of it.  

Actually that's not true Menhir. There are players that do play different characters and they do it well. And they haven't hidden who they are.

Personally I prefer to know whom I'm dealing with from the start rather than finding out later.

Thank you Menhir :)

However, it's not Magistra's reason here, who did it "just" to check other principles.

I know some people who have successful at making an alt, given away their identity and are respected citizens of another land/alliance too. I won't name any, but they know who they are :D .

Like dst (who posts as I write >.<) just said right now, basically :P

However, Menhir's point isn't false either.

Edited by DARK DEMON

Actually that's not true Menhir. There are players that do play different characters and they do it well. And they haven't hidden who they are.

Personally I prefer to know whom I'm dealing with from the start rather than finding out later.

Sorry dst I did one mistake ... I should have said - "I would prefer doing it like this ..." - generalization leads always to confusion. My fault.  

Not sure where I fit on the age range, but having an alt that I played like a newbie was fun!

I don't remember if I asked a lot of the usual questions when I started but I have a good time being able to just walk around not being recognized and ask about stuff . Alt fell into different groups of friends for a while (when I was playing her regularly) because I liked the way some people described how/why we did things like how to read, where to find (if we can find) more balanced mp4, or why we try to collect a bunch of papers. Oh and play the occasional "guess who" game with another alt if we happen to stumble across each other, somehow recognize that we're both alts, but don't quickly figure out whose alt.

Little things like that where nothing really went on but times were entertaining anyway

I enjoyed playing my alts. In fact, my main and my alt were such different characters that no one knew we were the same person. Well, that was until FlyingChipmonk murdered my alt, but I don't think he even knew it was me. In fact, I've only recently started told one person, my alt was Wexor, in case you're wondering. His character was supposed to be defined as evil, chaotic, and insane. Creating mischief and mayhem wherever he could. Where as my main, vertu, is a reclusive, good hearted, wanderer, that protects those that aren't strong enough to protect themselves, and takes care of people when they need help.

As for asking questions as an alt instead of main, I would personally prefer that. You see back when I was mp3, not a single person would even talk to me other than Mur. So I had no where to go to get my questions asked. Back then all people would do was attack and run to sanctuary. No one would help out and I spent most my time in game trying to heal my creatures and get as many battles as I could before they were killed. 2007 was not a good time for playing MD and speaking to others. All though I did try to talk to a few players. That's probably the main reason that I forgot about the site after I got more time on my hands. I made it to mp4, got through the storyline, and then started college and 2 full time jobs to pay for college. After I got out of college, I just forgot about this site and didn't really come back to play until late 2011. I still don't really know much about....anything to be perfectly honest.

Edited by VertuHonagan

Thanks for your responses :)

Two things I still don't get...

1) Why does one need to abandon an alt when it's found out?

2) Even if people know it's an alt, they won't know whose unless you give them hints, so isn't it basically your fault if someone gets to know the identity, i.e. you?

I got to know that it was discussed in the LHO group that LHO's should be able to check if someone's an alt or not. The only reason I could thing of having this ability is the same as mine: why spend hours on someone who may already know the stuff cause s/he's an alt? The alts may just do it for fun, and not care about the time LHO's are wasting...

Maybe LHO's don't feel this way and don't mind spending time on alts. In that case, it's only me who minds a lot. I spend lots_of_time with newbies, and after finding out it was an alt who already knew that stuff... I get really angry and pissed.

Edited by DARK DEMON

The following comes only from my experience (only my experience!!!) ... and may not fit for everyone.

I was a martial arts trainer for many years, I know quite abit of nutrition and try to "help" people out with it, I do start my tours now through India "helping" people to get a different view of India and have the experience of an adventure they will never forget ... there are many more examples in my life ... but from all those I learned that If I expect something special back for my "helping" I get disappointed and If I answered peoples questions how to do things they mostly forgot the next morning/training. I know it´s not the same situation but in this case I would use the same principle to get rid of anger and frustration. As I told you some days back ... try to free yourself from those self created expectations and be open what life is giving you back ... do things because you like to do it and not because you have something in your mind which gives you some sort of profit for doing so. I do not say you have to do it, but think about it at least. "The others" around you will never change because you like them to change. You can change yourself and that´s hard enough.     

Because people want to start again without insults, abuse and harassment. I just wanted to find out what new principles would mean, and I wanted to be a new person in the realm. No worries for a while.

Magistra

new principles just mean ( if someone is knowing better .. tel it) that different token will work for you ...

and it may be better to change altlar , if its the case of the one you use usually is not giving good value for your new principles

adn number .... probably principles are in that  ... but i dont see any use for that

:)

Magistra, if you need info that i have just ask me (as magistra ... not fun if its an alt pretending.. as i already knowyu as magistra )

the  thing youd like to find out as an alt is ,, what kind of story endings ... there is, and witch story choices give what , or make yu die ..

Edited by Tom Pouce

• Root Admin

Wasn't there a promise that no accounts would be deleted, ever, or something like that, except for alt ABUSE?  This is what's puzzling me.

Eh? Im not sure where this comes in? What do you specifically refer to?

Only once has accounts been archived.

@Change: too much RP does affect your other skills.

----------------------------------------------

@Magistra:

Because people want to start again without insults, abuse and harassment. I just wanted to find out what new principles would mean, and I wanted to be a new person in the realm. No worries for a while.

Were you insulted while on your alt ? Abused ? harassed ? Did you complained about it to council ? did you exposed it on the forum ?

But if it was just that you didn't wanted to be known ... you should have been more careful.

See with Seighart and Fenhrir (i'm too lazy to check how it is spelled) they are one.

"They" rejected it at the beginning as part of an agreement to escape a penalty then he just used the new one even if everybody new about them.

So what ?

Playing with alts is like RP. And if you don't do a good RP you are not believed. That's the only reason I can think of for you wanting to quit your alts.

I don't like RP, I have fun with it at times, but I find it boring.

So spare me the details (the nonRP type) I simply don't understand you.

On the other side, I used alts (see the "4 military alliances takeover") ... so ... all I can think is that you intended the same thing.

Are you RP type (with strange reasoning) or military type ?

-------------------------------------------------

@DD: 1) Why does one need to abandon an alt when it's found out?

My point of view: Because being me takes up all my time and on top of it, I enjoy being me and I enjoy ppl knowing who they are talking with and I don't have to worry about any constraints on what I can / cannot do with my character.

I really hate the new "quoting" way. It is dumb. There's no link to initial post; sometimes it crashes (no more name & date).

Plain DUMB just like the "Like" feature.

Edited by No one

@No one Too much roleplay?? If what little roleplay I've done is too much... :blink: I want to do more.

One reason why new players might be turned away from MD is the mini 'alt trial' that goes on. When I made all of my accounts, I was told that I was 'most definitely an alt'. No, I don't just mean the whole 'Yup, definitely Granos' thing, though that was annoying as well. The joke gets old after several months of it.. It's really awkward trying to play another character and feel like you have to prove that you're not an alt. It's also not a good advertisement to actual new people to MD.

Some people are essentially saying, "Oh, hi! You're probably an alt, but welcome! I say that you're probably an alt because no new players ever join MD--only old ones. Now, you must be everyone. You're everyone, right?"

Edited by Change