Demanding all new people to read all announcements

Dragual

IP ban will not be performed for escaping jail. That part of the announcement is old and now incorrect.

Then that needs to be stated in an update announcement. As far as I can see, you demand that all rookies read through all of the announcements so if one is incorrect, it needs to be stated somewhere. 

Probably, or some corrections need to be made, or something...

So, as announcments grow people cant be expected to read or know all of them, so what can we do?

Try things out and when punish, COMPLAIN! Isn't that how it's done? :D

Wait...there is another way: you ASK someone who is older and more informed and read all announcements (or a least part of them). Like the LHOs.

Rules page getting maintained? :P

But how will a new player know to read the rules page? When we first start out, we have all this information we need to consume. You could make some type of npc quest that needs to be complete to be able to advance to MP4 on top of or as an alternative to the standing requirements. Something like "Go here, activate the clickie and read this info. Then answer these questions based on the info read." As far as I see, there is only one npc newbie quest, which is what most new players are looking for. A way to get a grip of how the game works. It is also possible that certain locations be locked off until completion of parts, if not all of the quest.

• Root Admin

IP ban is not someone that anyone needs to worry about. only someone maliciously doing stuff against MD will be ip banned. But this is only an example.

MD has a load of information that are in announcements, how can we move them out?

Rules page being updated can be helpful, SS did it recently but i think we can improve it. Someone want to get paid to update it?

What about adding "clarification" to announcements, to reference later announcements where the rules are changed?

What about adding "clarification" to announcements, to reference later announcements where the rules are changed?

This would be a bit more work, but I think is an Excellent idea.  

To make up a fake example:

Announcement 9999 ~ June 11th, 2013

(Supercedes Ann 5019 & 6789 Regarding Jail terms)

Jail is a bad place.  If you escape on your own means, your sentence will be extended.  Others transporting you out agaisnt your will do not count if players make a good-faith effort to return as soon as possible.  (details up to council/proof)  Remember, magicduel, like heads contest, is UNFAIR.  :P :wub:

Wouldn't that be better to be done in the forum ?

I mean, leave the announcements as they are (after all it's part of md itself the way its announcement was made) and maybe open a topic where there will be reference to each announcement (having categories like "rules", "scene changes", "creature changes" etc , those are a quick example) and make sure that this topic stays updated so anyone will be able to look for announcements and cross reference each one with the ones its related 

The massive number of announcements currently existing would be an issue (time consuming and integrity ) but it's not something that can't be done (i think )

I think to remember that you already had a bot that sorted the announcements and added them to the MD Wiki?

The bigger part of the announcements are outdated, system messages, and things that concern events long gone, if you can make your bot filter those, how many would be left? 300?

In the wiki, people could easily find them, and add information they find useful, and it'd be simpler to reference examples and whatnot.

What stops you from updating it? What stops anyone from updating it?

I'll consider you liked my input and decided to jump to the next step - realization.

It's not really my role to maintain the rule page, but I have an idea - how about the same person that posts an announcement? Just update the rule page with the relevant info, if there is some, it should take away some extra 60 sec, considering that the original rules page is legit.

With good organization, it shouldn't be a big deal. 

Of course, someone else can do the same by keeping track of new announcements, but it should be someone with good knowledge of the rules and close ties to the admin garniture.

But how will a new player know to read the rules page?

One can't complain he didn't know the rules if he chose not to read the Rules link on the top of the page.

• Root Admin

I'll consider you liked my input and decided to jump to the next step - realization.

It's not really my role to maintain the rule page, but I have an idea - how about the same person that posts an announcement? Just update the rule page with the relevant info, if there is some, it should take away some extra 60 sec, considering that the original rules page is legit.

With good organization, it shouldn't be a big deal. 

Of course, someone else can do the same by keeping track of new announcements, but it should be someone with good knowledge of the rules and close ties to the admin garniture.

While i would love to spend my time updating them, i dont have the time to do so, and can spend it much better doing other things. We can appoint someone to keep them updated.

I think so as well, you're MB king and coder of MD, I was referring more to other people announcing, council members. Not sure how many councilors are there, and how much free time they have, though.

Or giving the role to someone. Perhaps in relation with Archives role, it would seem fitting? There are so many players with some sort of administrative roles, another one shouldn't be a problem - if there's enough will with the admins of course.

Archives should be the best solution imo. And not one person but 2 or 3. Just in case one or 2 go MIA. This is also an incentive for the Archivists to start recruiting :D. And this is also a way for us, the community to do something for the game (ok, not me cause me is busy) and blame only ourselves (ok, not me cause I know the rules) if the rules are not updated :P

• Root Admin

i think the "mistakes" a noob does are proportionate to his age. For example a young player (active days) is so unlikely to actually reach jail at all. Its a matter of the attitude of older player towards newer ones, you could simple tell someone that what he does its wrong. There are many announcements and nobody not even me can keep track of all, but regarding rules they should follow a general common sense direction. You can do pretty much all that the interface allows you to do, and when there is something wrong its usually something others will notice too. For new players is actually more simple than for older players that reach many times to the edges of these "rules"

i don't think the announcement issue will ever be solved, mainly because it is not a good idea to rule a realm through announcements but instead they should just announce things that happend not things that should happen from now on in a certain way. Its a concept flaw and i am aware of it, but currently i can't do much about it other than hope md rules system works at the community level not at the strict rules level, if you know what i mean..