QA: What does a shared tool do ?

No one

It's been quite a long time since the shared tools been brought to MD.

They are interesting, they are different and most of all they are unknown to me.

After such a long time I still consider that I have to ask this noobish question : "how do shared items work?"

Don't jump to write "go to location, click, pac, bum, magic". Let me explain:

Most of you have noticed, while picking shared tool, a strange text like this one :

[spoiler]

Herbs Basket
A rattan basket good for holding herbs while you gather them.

Action code: gatheringtool#basket;2;2;all
Max Uses: unlimited
Recharge rate: ~640sec
When consumed: vanish
Transferable: No
Group: Loreroot
Land Loyalty Required:
No Landscore Required
Skills Required:
No Other Skills Required

LR Land Cleanser
An enchanted device capable of pushing marked individuals outside of a land, along designated pathways (known as heat veins). If the cause is won, the target can be pushed towards the land exit one scene. If the fight is lost, the target gets movelocked in place for 60sec per fight. This item is ideal when you need to defend a land from invaders.

Action code: fightcause#Fightfor=landguard;Effect_won=pushout;Effect_lost=movelock;Power_won=1;Power_lost=60;Minpeople=2;Maxpeople=10;Duration=2000;Amplif=1;
Max Uses: 30
Recharge rate: ~0sec
When consumed: returntogroup
Transferable: Yes
Group: Loreroot
Land Loyalty Required:
Loreroot: 170
Skills Required:
No Other Skills Required

[/spoiler]

Do you know what all of it means ?

Some of you may say that yes. Good, then please share it with the noob me.

OK, for a part it is easy and there is no need to comment much on them:

Max Uses: 30                 -----> after 30 uses allowed after spawning / creation, see "when consumed" for the action when the item gets to 0
Recharge rate: ~0sec                ------> it can be used after this many seconds (the herb baskets for example has " ~640sec" which is about 10 minutes and 40 seconds)

When consumed: returntogroup  -----> in combination with "Max uses" it will return the item to spawning place, disappear (gets destroyed) or other

Group: Loreroot                        ------> spawning place name (as in the begining it was just a few locations, they took the name of the land, later other had to be invented)

There is another one that is simple, so I will share it with you what I think it means. Please correct me if I am wrong:

Transferable:  Yes                    ------>  it means that you can select it from combo and you can pass it to another player , whatever location you may be

Land Loyalty Required:
Loreroot: 170                           ------> you must have at least 170 days of loyalty in this land ... for what ?
Skills Required:
No Other Skills Required            ------> you need these skills to ... what ? get the item or to use it ?

So, we come to the list of items that raise questions:

- requirements (Land Loyalty & Skills)  ----> are they required for getting the item or for using it ?

- action code ---> this is the big mystery I am interested on

I have listed above 2 cases, i will list some more that I will use for my questions:

Action code: gatheringtool#basket;2;2;all

Action code: fightcause#Fightfor=landguard;Effect_won=pushout;Effect_lost=movelock;Power_won=1;Power_lost=60;Minpeople=2;Maxpeople=10;Duration=2000;Amplif=1;

Action code: dice#2;12

Action code: marindsbellpassport

Action code: gatheringtool#bucket;2;3;Water Dowsers

Action code: gatheringtool#bucket;8;2;Water Dowsers

Action code: gatheringtool#bucket;1;1;Water Dowsers

Action code: gatheringtool#bucket;2;2;Water Dowsers

Action code: gatheringtool#raincollector;4;2;Water Dowsers

Action code: Not usable

Action code: itemmixer#Heat=10000;Recipetypes=cake

Action code: instructions#Type=cake;Recipes=cake

So, we clearly understand that right after the "Action code" it follows the "purpose" of the item : "gatheringtool", "fightcause", "dice", "marindbellpassport".

The mentioning of an alliance name will be restring that tool to only be taken by ppl from that aliance's land. (i've seen it mentioned somewhere).

My question, the reason for all this mambo jambo topic is :

What are these numbers all about : "2;3", "8;2", "1;1", "4;2" (these numbers are all from different buckets to make it easy to understand).

From personal experience with a "2;2" items (the "herbs basket"), when I get over 100 skill points (herbalism) , the item will gather for me 2 herbs each time.

Another item collected 1 water, then started collecting 2 and then 3 (it is about water) and I am not even at the 100 skill points.

So, can explain more about all these "item properties" and the numbers i mentioned?

A tutorial on "reading" the properties would be great.

Also, it would be nice to be able to check the properties of the items you hold.

Edited by No one

<<So, we come to the list of items that raise questions:

- requirements (Land Loyalty & Skills)  ----> are they required for getting the item or for using it? >>

I was under the impression Land loyalty is required to grab the item, not sure if it's related to its use too.

The land loyalty is the loyalty required to grab the item in the first place, but not to use it.

Once when I was visiting LR someone lent me a shared Resin Collector so that I could gather one unit of resin, I have also been given an acoustic obfuscator which I was then able to use.

edit: touching up

Edited by Rophs

gatheringtool#basket;2;2;all

2;2

I believe the first number reveres to the amount of skill one gets per use /100 and the other to the level at which you begin being able to gather more. Higher seems to be better there. (You gather one more at level 200/'tool value'?) The second is only an assumption, but the first I am pretty sure of.

Also, while you don't need to be part of a land to use an item protected by land loyalty, you do need to be part of that land if it's bound to an alliance (Woodcutters/Water Dowsers).

Edited by samon

• Root Admin

Land Loyalty Required:
Loreroot: 170 ------> you must have at least 170 days of loyalty in this land ... to grab the item
Skills Required:
No Other Skills Required ------> you need these skills to ... grab the item

The action code, will probably be removed and changed to something that makes more sense. It doesnt make sense to expose the user to the raw db storage format.
----

i didnt see any other questions, please point them out if there were more :)

@Chewett:

I'd like more comments on the numbers. It is easy when it is "2;2", but what about the other : "2;3", "8;2", "1;1", "4;2"

I encountered a case where at 66 skill I could grab 2 water and at 77(or something) i could get 3 water.

How it is computed this amount of resources gathered versus the amount of skills ?

Are there any special thresholds ? (like 100skill points) and what are they supposed to do ?

• Root Admin

@Chewett:
I'd like more comments on the numbers. It is easy when it is "2;2", but what about the other : "2;3", "8;2", "1;1", "4;2"

I encountered a case where at 66 skill I could grab 2 water and at 77(or something) i could get 3 water.

How it is computed this amount of resources gathered versus the amount of skills ?
Are there any special thresholds ? (like 100skill points) and what are they supposed to do ?

I cant tell you because i cant remember. Nor will i be revealing the exact algorithms of what they relate to because its a spoiler, try experimenting and work it out.

[spoiler]

I cant tell you because i cant remember. Nor will i be revealing the exact algorithms of what they relate to because its a spoiler, try experimenting and work it out.

Ann. 2658 - [2013-06-24 03:24:20 - Stage 12]

Large Water Buckets
Three water buckets from the Marinds Bell item dispatcher have been turned into Large buckets that require a high gardening skill to be taken from the dispatcher. One of the large buckets gives you a lot more dowsing skill per use and two of them gather more water (and give increased dowsing skill)

[/spoiler]

Thank you Chewett for sharing this vital information.

So ppl, never ask about what stats are used for because it is a spoiler.

But I will share this spoiler with the rest : I said that the "Large water buckets" are bugged. I have reported it 2 times (directly). His answer was like : "i don't know how they should work", "ask mur".

So Chewett, you practically encourage us to use whatever we find in the game, bugs , workarounds , whatever and to use the as we see fit as all is ok ?

Thank you.

• 4 months later...

For posterity :

Action code: gatheringtool#bucket;8;2;Water Dowsers

The number are easy to understand when you get to 100 skill points, so:

- you will get 0.08 stats for each tool use

- you will get 2 resources when you get with your stats to 100 for that specific resource. We will call this : "Max Resouces Per Use"

It is even more simple with this kind of definition : "gatheringtool#shovel;5;1;all" as it means that you will always get 1 resource, no matter how much skill you have.

Now, the more complicated thing is if you have more then 2 for "Max Resouces Per Use" ?

For example "gatheringtool#bucket;6;6;all"

- for skills, it is easy, you get 0.06 skill / use

- for number of resources gathered ... it you have over 100 skill, it is easy : you get maximum of 6 resource if they are available (if there are less at that location)

So, having this tool ("gatheringtool#bucket;6;6;all") depending on the skill point you will get resources like this :

- [0 ; 50) - 1 resource

- [50 ; 62,5) - 2 resources

- [62,5 ; 75) - 3 resources

- [75 ; 87,5) - 4 resources

- [87,5 ; 100) - 5 resources

- 100 & more - 6 resources

The formula intervals are easy to comprehend if you look notice that the interval is like this :

12,5 = 50 / (6-2),

where 6 = maximum resources per use

-2 because ... you get only 1 res if under 50 stats and you get max if over 100

and it remains with just 4 valid intervals between 50 and 100.

So ... you can now do your own math if you have other numbers.

Good luck & Happy harvesting

PS: all of the above seems to have been a spoiler. Please read it carefully and the forget it. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

When asked why this formula is not applied to rain collectors ... Chew said that he never said that this is a valid formula. Thank you Chew.

Anyway, I couldn't figure it out what's the formula as I was already over 100 when I first managed to get a rain collector but all I can share is that for a common shared tool (I can't say anything about the independent ones)  is that once you are at max skill you will get the following amount of rain water / shared tool use:

Mildrain - 20 Rainwater ~ 20 minutes
Storm - 40 rainwater --- last that I checked (and reported) this didn't regenerated water but could still gather rainwater from it. ~ 40 minute
Heavy rain - 80 rainwater ~ 80 minute

Note: the time for this can vary by a lot. But these are the periods that I've experienced.

Have fun.