regen timer tick glitch/bug

Ary Endleg

oke chewett here it is :p

latest win7/ff/flash

regen timer tick glitch

- control check
after login or after it ticks and you refresh to verify that it happened, take note of time on any clock, or even open stopwatch although any clock will do it
wait for it to tick, dont tab out of md, dont go to facebook or youtube or anywhere or if you do, come back before time runs out and refresh and stay active in md tab when timer runs out, wait a bit for response on flash thingy with stats or refresh manually
you will notice tick happened

-requirement and steps to reproduce
md in one tab, few other tabs open or other application opened, lets say notepad (point is to switch focus on your pc to anything that isnt md game)
do first step exactly as in control check
now tab out to something else, and dont go back to md tab until by you are sure according to your time reference to another clock/stopwatch that it ticked (give it a some extra time like a minute so that you can clearly notice changes)
come back to md tab and check if tick happened (refresh), and you will see that timer isnt at 9 min (assuming you waited that extra minute on stop watch) but its back at 10 mins (full timer counting down) btw it might take 2 refreshes, sometimes it shows time on first refresh as you expect it to be, but on second refresh it will show proper time which is full regen time (10 mins minus those few seconds in between first and second refresh), however ap will be added at first refresh, so wise its fine, you only lost some minutes

so lets say you were supposed to have 1 min left on your timer and you come back from other tab after lets say 18 min, it wont be 1-2 min left as you expect it in fact system will start counting from full regen timer, if you come back and dont refresh and just wait for regen timer to tick and then you get supprised that no ap was added and you refresh you will see either full regen timer or full regen timer minus the time you were playing after you tabbed back in (depending if you just stare at game or click around, timer gets reset when you do something ingame)

but if you come back lets say 23 mins after, second tick will happen as well because server didnt received any activity from you and checks that your stats arent fully regenerated and does tick (because it seems to check if you need regen after full regen timer has passed and it didnt receive any activity from you, so it acts same way as if you idled/logged out)

in short if you just got your ap, and moved and tabbed out to do something else you will lose some minutes if you arent active in md tab during the time of a tick, because clock will reset inproperly which means your precious minutes are stolen from you aka your regeneration is slowed

simple english: tabbing out counts the same as clicking idle/logout for the regen timer

at least thats what happens to me, anyone else?

ps
oke scratch the above, too lazy to edit, its not just by tabbing out, just staring at md tab alone and adding some time after tick then starting to be active will reset regen timer
exact diagnosis is when regen timer ticks it freezes until you start doing stuff inside the game (any action that involves server will do it) regen timer unfreezes once server has first time communication with you after last regen tick
i am pretty damn sure if you just leave it open and do nothing while in your location people are chatting, hence server send stuff to you, it would count as action and unfreeze regen timer after tick, assuming you are looking at chat and not at your creats for example, same goes for pm i think and/or anything other form of server initiated communication, even maybe people passing through location, server sends you update on list (cant verify this atm, i double checked everything else)

so to pile this edit with above, if you aint active while game is open exactly during tick, regen timer stops, if you do anything lets say minute after tick, that minute was wasted, but if you remain inactive until that timer during which you havent clicked anything runs out, tick will happen and ap will be added and it will froze again, just like idle mode, so if you know you havent been playing during this tick, better wait out till it runs out if it has like minute or few left and then show activity (unless chat exception happened)

-cause
this might be a problem with stats counter below regen not updating even thought little circle made full 360 turn after which server should send update on the counter, but it stops doing that after "regen timer freeze"(explained above), so after tick server doesnt send you update on your ap change if there is no activity notification from your side
so both things get frozen, in short "soft idle mode" turns on

-possible fix
make server to comunicate back to clinet that tick happened if player isnt idle/logged off
or make it that it doesnt require to receive request from player in order to unfreeze timer, because it currently uses idle mode way of work hence this arrises

players might not experience/notice this in crowded area but if you are traveling in remote locations and have feeling for time, you will notice it and hate it

sorry for repeating myself a couple of times

:cool:

• Root Admin

As i said in the PM, i spent a bit of time half fixing up the code, but at the time didnt have the appropiate time to properly fix it. Using timestamps rather than relative timing will make it better and thats planned for "soon"

• 8 years later...
  • Root Admin

As for regen timer when it reaches zero I get AP and animation rolls again from 15min. But if I don't instatly start clicking something around it doesn't really count. for example if I don't do anything for 5 minutes after it reset and then start doing something, once those remaining 10 minutes are up I don't get AP instead timer goes back and says it has 5 more minutes to go. However if I were to do absolutely nothing for those 15 minutes it would tick normally as it should.

I often notice it. The timer seems to go out of sync after a while. It's either caused by viewing another tab in the browser or simply by staying on MD for a while. Most of the time the timer is off by 30 seconds or less, but sometimes if you are inactive without idling the timer resets back to 10 minutes without giving AP.

Aksel is reporting this problem with the regen timer.  He writes:

Easiest way to recreate it is like this: wait for timer to reach zero, when it does, don't do anything in md, no clicking no chatting, not even page refreshing just pretend you are away from keyboard for a minute or two. Then do something or just refresh MD few times, after 2-3 refreshes timer will be at it's own initial starting value, meaning those few minutes you weren't doing anything didn't got counted.

As far as I am aware this is a visual error and not a bug, this is something I see often, older hardware/software maybe but the regen timer gets out of sync just like my windows clock will get out of sync, same as I have to resync the windows clock to an internet time I have to resync my regen timer to the server.

From the issue I am experiencing nothing is going wrong other than I don't know when the actual regen will occur until I refresh my page. The actual regen occurs with or without my knowledge, no AP is missed or is where it should otherwise be.

If someone is making the claim that the regen is not occurring or occurring when it should not I would like to see proof of that, or a more specific claim, here I can not tell if that is what is being claimed. I will try to test that myself.

While I can't conclude there is anything going wrong with the regen itself, the clock telling us when it will happen is lying and having trouble displaying proper values.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:36 PM, Muratus del Mur said:

ancient topic revived. A new player complained directly to me about this issue, but i can't replicate it. Is it something that is still going on?

Below you can see proof of things it is doing like jumping forward 10 seconds at a time, or when it reaches 49 etc it will go back up to 50 and then resume counting down, or otherwise lying about when it will occur.

image.png.b62be2e0301f45a381597ab7b69e2555.png

b.thumb.png.1d11f6a87b9499a0b2298de4bc9e6b04.png

Edited by Mallos

9 hours ago, Muratus del Mur said:

i think a resync every minute or so should fix the sync issue, but its nothing i can do about the browser deciding not to run js when not in focus

Asides from the sync issue, here is more information, I will spare us the screenshots but I think it proves there is something going wrong with the browser not running when not in focus, this issue is repeatable and does seem to set back a few minutes when it happens.

Spoiler

98 ap at 16:33:45
-120 ap @ 16:37:40   37   
120 ap @ 16:51:15
-142 ap @ 16:54:45   54   17m
142 ap @ 17:08:15  3:10 left
-164 ap @ 17:12:00   12   18m~
______

164 ap @ 17:26:30    
-186 ap @ 17:29:30   29   17m    +17m = 18:02 expected

186 ap 17:45:42     0:01 left on timer
 208 ap 17:48:13    16:46 left on timer        

-208 ap at 17:46     48   17m    +17m = 18:22    +17m = 18:39

_________         

208 ap @ 17:48:40    
208 ap @ 18:02:30    2:26 left on timer = 04:56~

-230 ap @ 18:05:35   05   19m 

18:22 expected 

-252 ap @ 18:25:50   25   20m result

18:39 expected 

252 ap @ 18:40:00    

-274 ap @ 18:42:30   42   17   result

274 ap @ 18:57:40    17min x4regen x4hour = 272 - 32 = 240 

602 ap @ 23:33:40    22:57 + 32m = 23:29   4m~ 

18:57 - 2h +16m = 17:13 \   17:12:00   1m~

^4 mins is expected, I added 4 hours, but 1 min is not expected rather 2 as I removed 2 hours, could be anomaly or data error
       however the results show the expected values below do not align with the real ones

17:12 / 29 / 17:46 / 03 / 20 / 37 / 54 /

Directions to reproduce:

[✿❁⚘☘]

Title: Regen timer
Do this:
- refresh your page few times to make sure your regen is synced to server
-take stopwatch and make it start when you see that timer went to zero
- once timer goes to zero don't do anything in md for 2 minutes, no chatting refreshing clicking, just nothing
- when 2 minutes have passed do something, for example refresh page few times, upon that you will see that timer went back for those exact two minutes you were doing nothing
- stopwatch is your control, you will see that regen happened two minutes later than it should have
Edited by Mallos