Gates (not Bill)

Ungod

What I thought of is not a very good idea, but for some reason it sounds cool to me. This whole thing would work in case of land wars. 

I was thinking of reinforced gates, going from 1 to 5 levels. Each level would need lots of resources to build (with some specific to each land) and daily/weekly input of resources for maintenance. If there is no daily/weekly input, the level of endurance goes down, making it easier for anyone to enter the land (lowering the AP cost?). Now, this is not meant to replace the AP cost, but to increase the security of the gates, as it should. 

(this is very raw, but...here it is)

Edited by TheRichMerchant

What I thought of is not a very good idea, but for some reason it sounds cool to me. This whole thing would work in case of land wars. 

I was thinking of reinforced gates, going from 1 to 5 levels. Each level would need lots of resources to build (with some specific to each land) and daily/weekly input of resources for maintenance. If there is no daily/weekly input, the level of endurance goes down, making it easier for anyone to enter the land (lowering the AP cost?). Now, this is not meant to replace the AP cost, but to increase the security of the gates, as it should. 

My instant thoughts after what you said, just for the sake of an idea development suggestion:

Yes maybe it could work and could be a way to encourage trading among lands, eg: Loreroot needing water to "water" trees hence increase gate security, MB needing lumber/branches maybe. Necro and GG already have high AP costs, so...

Edited by DARK DEMON

And what an awesome AL chapter this could be...

And the amount of possibilities this would open once the procedure is in place and the code developed.

I really like the idea. I find it a lot more attractive then just having some items. It would be awesome if Lands would be able to develop themselves (resources, ideas, blue prints...LOTS of ideas).

Ok, so as I was playing with the MD interface, digging for useless stuff to keep me from getting bored, I clicked the MD link to Facebook (I have no FB account, btw). And as I kept scrolling down, reading various updates, I stumbled across this http://magicduel.com/page/Announcement/view/2577, posted there as well.

Now, I am respectfully asking myself - what the hell?? The idea that I thought it was 100% original was actually in the Ann. from last year ??  :blink: (I joined last year in December and although I read all the ann. afterwards, I read none of the ones posted before my joining date)

........................................................................................................................................................................................................

So, all thats left for me to do is to respectfully ask the mods to cut my post from http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/15761-powerful-land-items-and-abilities/page-3#entry155737 along with those commenting on it and paste it here and maybe I will develop what I thought was an original idea here.

The second thing I wil have to do is start reading all announcements, from the beginning. -_-

I am posting this because: 1) I am sure this will not be used as I imagined it (which is good) and 2) even though 1), it could create useful spinoffs.

[spoiler]

The whole idea of reinforced gates, in my mind, served an RP purpouse more than any other. It is there to emphasize the idea of a ”gate”, with all the restrictions that come with it. At the same time, something like this might become a hindrance, a nuisance to players, so for me its a very delicate concept. it could go wrong for a number of reasons, but also good. By the way, the following contain highly disturbing ideas; if you suffer from ... anything, stop reading here. 

Before reading the announcement, I had about 2-3 days to think about how this could work, so what you read now is the process I imagined. I doubt of it now.

As we have it right now, the way to stop people from entering a land (not only mainlands) is through AP limitations. You cant remove this system unless you want to make a major change. So, how can you combine the AP system and at the same time create variable difficulty in entering lands? The way I thought of it is by creating a guard. In other words, a clickie which serves the role of a guard (I leave the visuals to you). Lets take it step by step.

Firstly, the reinforced gates have to be built. The materials have to come in large amounts (progressively). This has to be a community effort, where community is the land population. Where mats are scarce, they can be bought (tools rent, crits sold etc). GG would have something like an earth wall, created with the sand from the beaches of Golemus and huge amounts of water. NC could have a bone shield, made of bones and syntropic dust. Marind could have an orb made of water and timeless dust, while LR could have a  thicket made of lumber and branches, resin and wiiya (?).

What would be the purpouse of reinforcing the gates? Well, with each level, the cost to enter the land increases. It can increase in steady folds, like +100, or progressively - +50, +100, +150 etc. The numbers given are variables - lands that should be harder to enter can have higher values of AP. You will ask - then what is the point of change? NC has 666 already, wouldnt this be the same thing? It would simply give a chance to other lands to come to the same values as NC. 

Secondly, after the gates are reinforced (if they are - this is a ”cold war”), the guard will come in use. Basically, a player can choose to cross the gate at its maximum level, if he/she has the AP or to talk to the guard. Talking to the guard goes like this: you click on it, it asks you where you are from. You get a list of lands and choose which one you are a citizen of. If you are NC, you get to choose to pay. You pay a certain amount of a certain resource, which goes directly into the land treasury of the land you want to enter (when they will exist:P) and the AP cost is reset, only for you, until regeneration counter ends. Now, the resource is to be debated and agreed by ALL lands. At the same time, you get to choose how much of a resource you want to pay, thus choosing how many levels you want to go down. For instance, you only pay 3 wiiya to enter GG, which lowers the AP cost as if the gate was level 2 (levels are 1-5). If you pay 4 wiiya, the cost is reduced and you enter the gate as if the gate was level 1. After choosing to pay the resource, there should be alist showing you the values and you choose from 1 to 5 values.

Here comes the cool part. You can lie and say you are a citizen of another land. If you say you are a citizen of LR (and you are NC) and choose to pay, you will pay the resource that a lorerootian would pay. There is a 50% chance you will be recognized and the punishment for that is...no res back, no entry and all VE lost.  This is wrong, bribing guard sounds better.

There are other issues, as well. MB, for example, has to be an open land to most newbs. In this respect, NML ”citizen” would have to pay no resources to enter the land, at minimum of AP cost. What happens when a NC disguises himself/herself and pretends to be a NML ”citizen”? Same as above, the guard may be sleepy and you will enter MB. Chance of success should be lower - 20% or lower. 

What else? Oh, gates have to be mainteined weekly or else they crumble. This means a weekly input of several resources.

Also, they can be weakened by enemies. Suppose some hotshot comes with 1000 wiiya at the gates of MB and chooses to pay that amount (yes, this should be the 6th option added there). During the time that wiiya has to go to the land treasury, the gate will be wiiide open. This means that the gate will drop down one level. This comes in hand when at war.

Another option (and this would remove land papers) would be ”enter by password”. Each day (week?) a minimum of 3 persons from a  land will come up with a password (one comes up with it, 2 validate it). Citizen wouldnt need it, but an outsider can be told the pass and he/she can enter the land at minimum AP cost.

[/spoiler]

Now, why do I write this when Im sure it wont be used? As I said, maybe it will create some better ideas in someones head. 

P:S: I am not writing this, my ghost is. I am sound asleep in my bed:p 

Also "SIEGE" battle cause maybe somehow linked into it? :P

My idea was to break down the gates by sending a big amount of resources through them (the weakening thing), but Im sure there are better ideas.

Feel free to indulge in this fantasy even more and come up with stuff :D 

how about various resources have various effects for the gate:

A would raise AP-cost

B would raise regen timer

C would give a % chance of weakening the "invader" for a period of time upon entering

would make some unused resources interesting as well

and might introduce more dynamic in resource tradings, lands might not want to trade to another for it might go to their gate, but seek resources for their own gate

and i think the sabotage idea is interesting, on the how im still pondering as well

[spoiler]

how about various resources have various effects for the gate:
A would raise AP-cost
B would raise regen timer
C would give a % chance of weakening the "invader" for a period of time upon entering

would make some unused resources interesting as well
and might introduce more dynamic in resource tradings, lands might not want to trade to another for it might go to their gate, but seek resources for their own gate

and i think the sabotage idea is interesting, on the how im still pondering as well

[/spoiler]
lets suppose that all gates would require ... stones. Lets suppose that I control the stone shated items.
What kind of deals would you offer?
So, I will end up with a great gate, well maintained and you cannot enter my land and you will have nothing to guard your land.
So, all those suppositions above stand on the distribution of shared items. Unless you have you have each land have its own items for the resources it needs ... you will have no gates. ( who is crazy to shoot itself in the foot?)
meaning : no dynamic trade.

To build a reinforced gate, a land would require resources that it has acces to (lets call them ”specific”) and an amount of other resources, such as timeless dust, syntropic dust or other. To maintain the level of the gates, it would need a small amount of such specific resources per day(?)/week.

However, when entering a foreign land, you would have to pay a ”specific” of your land. This way, in a land treasury would end up resources which are usually not available to it (for example, bones would end up in LR treasury or resin in GG treasury). This is the dynamism that I thought of - however, it would need a bit of restructuring of resource distribution and it would make shared items less useful desirable(?). There are many things that would have to be considered.

Syntropic Dust is a byproduct of harvesting Wiiya and is used to build a non-GG gate. Wiiya is also used, and once again for a non-GG gate. And the person with a "monopoly" on Wiiya is in GG. Super imballanced in my favor :D

LR using water would make strong thematic sense. Water would help the trees grow stronger, and mineralwater would be 2x as useful.

Things such as Timeless Dust which are "common" (not land-specific) should be useble by all gates to get stronger/last longer

The only thing I would watch out for is collecting resources being too important. I'd much rather put the emphasis on player engagement rather than running around gathering stuff. In other words, a few high level resources are required than a bunch of low level ones. I want to be able to help even if i can't participate very often, and the only thing that determines gate strength should not be time committed.

That being said, example:

sand -> glass

elu -> colored paper

fighting -> fenths

bushes -> bushies

explosives: 10 glass + 20 fenths

use explosives: 1000 heat, 3 combat bursts from 3 players

defensive material: 5 colored paper +  10 bushies

use def. material: no combat logs stored in battle log (not being attacked)