Fixing the Ivory Lighthouse

Rophs

I have a 20Kg bag of cement and some green glass powder for fixing the lighthouse.

My general idea is to fill the cracks with cement and then replace the windows with newly forged panes of green glass. There will by many resources needed to make this.

1. Sand for the glass and some to be mixed with the cement as an aggregate
  2. Lots of sticks and lumber to build a scaffolding allowing workers to safely reach the higher up cracks
  3. Water to activate the cement
  4. Some kind of permanent heat source, probably involving some kind of large "heat torch"

:) nice

Not a totally new idea, but ... go for it.

My questions are:

- do you want to permanently "fix" this scene ? because I don't think that it will not be accepted as a permanent change

- do you want to change the scene to make it ... kind of repeatable or is this a one time event ? I doubt that anyone will code smth for you just for a one time event.

- do you want to add smth to the scene ? like ... more water for a certain amount of time after the "fix" was performed or no water at all, and the change to "revert back" after a certain amount of time

----

As a token of support and good will, I will throw in 20-40 (Liters) of water, just let me know in advance of the event.

It's part of the overall goal to sail West that my character has, a working lighthouse would be needed to ensure that he doesn't crash into the GG shores like what many ships have done before. Considering that the West coming into being might include an entire land worth of scene arts being create I suppose that a "small" change such as the the Ivory Lighthouse working wouldn't exactly be too extreme.

I heard that Junior also has some interest in this matter and I'd hate to steal his wind. Every bit of wind pushing my sails West is greatly appreciated:D

Some kind of mixing implement is required to mix the concrete. One idea is to attach a barrel to Golem's mill but then there is the issue of transporting it. Somebody needs to find a solution to the aforementioned problems. I'll reward them with a spot on my ship going West :) And maybe bubbles too...

Some kind of mixing implement is required to mix the concrete. One idea is to attach a barrel to Golem's mill but then there is the issue of transporting it. Somebody needs to find a solution to the aforementioned problems. I'll reward them with a spot on my ship going West :) And maybe bubbles too...

Seeing that golemus is a mountain, why not just put it all in a barrel, and roll it CAREFULLY down the mountain? By the time you reach the bottom, should be good and mixed.

Seeing that golemus is a mountain, why not just put it all in a barrel, and roll it CAREFULLY down the mountain? By the time you reach the bottom, should be good and mixed.

A 20kg bag of cement, lots of sand, lots of water, rolling a really heavy barrel down a mountain... That doesn't sound very safe :P

thus the emphasis on CAREFULLY. You don't have to start at the top, you could even roll it along the beach with enough manpower. If none else, mix small quantities at a time (like a quarter of it), after all, if you're going to be doing all these repairs by hand, you don't want it to harden before you're half done.

(RL note: it's not uncommon to mix 20lbs/9k in a wheelbarrow using a shovel to mix, small amounts can be done easily by hand)

Edited by Intrigue

It is because of comments and phrases like this that i decided to abandon my career goal of fixing the light house. I did not wish to work with someone like you Rophs. This is not the way to include others and motivate them to work alongside you. 

Anyways I have been convinced that even now it might be a good idea to force myself to work with you so I'll keep an eye on the topic and sprinkle it with ideas.

Some kind of mixing implement is required to mix the concrete. 

This is something I had already encountered, and became content with one idea I had hopefully you'll agree. Power's Ascent is only three scenes away from the lighthouse. My plan was to attach a barrel with the mix on a pole through the center and then mount the pole on either side of the water falls allowing then the waterfall to cascade on top the barrel. Physics will go into action and begin rotating the barrel mixing the ingredients and allowing us to then transport it down to the lighthouse in buckets which are already available. Power's Ascent will serve as our natural mixer but will also supply us with water for the mix.

This is something I had already encountered, and became content with one idea I had hopefully you'll agree. Power's Ascent is only three scenes away from the lighthouse. My plan was to attach a barrel with the mix on a pole through the center and then mount the pole on either side of the water falls allowing then the waterfall to cascade on top the barrel. Physics will go into action and begin rotating the barrel mixing the ingredients and allowing us to then transport it down to the lighthouse in buckets which are already available. Power's Ascent will serve as our natural mixer but will also supply us with water for the mix.

Adding fins to the side of the barrel would allot the mixing to be more efficient, nice idea :D and the small amount in a bucket can easily be mixed by hand with a stick or a bone to keep it from hardening.

Adding fins to the side of the barrel would allot the mixing to be more efficient, nice idea :D and the small amount in a bucket can easily be mixed by hand with a stick or a bone to keep it from hardening.

So.... You're going to take the barrel UP the mountain, to the waterfall on the other side of the mountain, let the waterfall do the mixing, and then get it back down the mountain how?

A 20kg bag of cement, lots of sand, lots of water, rolling a really heavy barrel down a mountain... That doesn't sound very safe :P

Edited by Intrigue

So.... You're going to take the barrel UP the mountain, to the waterfall on the other side of the mountain, let the waterfall do the mixing, and then get it back down the mountain how?

Why is carrying an empty barrel seem so difficult to everyone? I have an army of my creatures that can carry, fly, or walk up the mountain. Getting it there should be the least difficult part. 

Once rigged we add the dement, sand, and wow look there is water already there. once the waterfall mixes this for us we can use buckets to carry the "portions" of mix as needed to complete the repairs. Again for RP purposes this is an easy action. There is no need to transport the barrel more than twice once when we get there and once to remove it once we are done. (we can even get some artwork like the garden house or christmas tree as a temp thing)

I could be off topic, that how far my idea is, anyway:

Mixing cement, imo, only requires a large enough recipient (a barrel sounds good) and a Farting Grasan. Feed the Grasan for 2-3 days and then apply it with some heat to the barrel. And then you have the Cement Mixing Machine.

It is a lot simpler then your method and it involves other MD "features" like heat and creatures.

---

Someone said that it is gross.

Yes, it might be, but I prefer that then digging in a cemetery.

A single powerful Grasan fart might not last long enough to properly mix the barrel. Cement mixing needs a longer smooth mixing, not a single massive jolt imo. Maybe if we can burn the farts like a stove (farts irl have methane and can be burned... in MD too?).

I am sorry but I could use a little bit more elaboration to how cement works in everyone's eyes. Cement to me requires sand water and cement mix. After that it is in constant motion to prevent it from settling. So where does the need for heat come into play here? My question is why is heat or fire needed for cement mixing purposes?

• Root Admin

I am sorry but I could use a little bit more elaboration to how cement works in everyone's eyes. Cement to me requires sand water and cement mix. After that it is in constant motion to prevent it from settling. So where does the need for heat come into play here? My question is why is heat or fire needed for cement mixing purposes?

I would agree here, iv built a couple of (brick) walls before, and never used heat...

:) indeed, in RL, heat is not required for cement but ... it is used for a lot of other stuff and I thought that this should be the case too.

If you want a story it ... good, you can say it is needed for drying the Lighthouse, you know ... staying close to water got it wet and covered in moss. A small fire-treatment would fix this quite fast.

@Rophs, this is not RL :) so we're talking about RL solutions but fun ones that could be applied only into a game ... and that could fit into this game... MD.

As about Grasan's Fart ... lol you'r ignorant. Holding it in for 2-3 days and being close to fire is not a very good idea. (explosion hazard is an understatement)

:) indeed, in RL, heat is not required for cement but ... it is used for a lot of other stuff and I thought that this should be the case too.

If you want a story it ... good, you can say it is needed for drying the Lighthouse, you know ... staying close to water got it wet and covered in moss. A small fire-treatment would fix this quite fast.

@Rophs, this is not RL :) so we're talking about RL solutions but fun ones that could be applied only into a game ... and that could fit into this game... MD.

As about Grasan's Fart ... lol you'r ignorant. Holding it in for 2-3 days and being close to fire is not a very good idea. (explosion hazard is an understatement)

I meant more like store the fart in a bottle and let it out slowly, to make a grasan stove :P

I knew steam engine was super far fetched

And ofc heat will be needed :P but there's nothing a full 2000k heat jar can't solve

I was just thinking and suddenly I came up with this:

The quality of the cement is very important for this task. Mixing large quantities of cement makes it harder to control the quality and also has logistic problems.

How about we mix up a perfect cement in small quantity (in a bucket) then put a bunch of fenths in a barrel at the lighthouse and make the fenths copy the perfect cement? 

Since fenths are the universal resource. The question is how much cement can one fenth turn into?