Dukedom

Pipstickz

Since the "quest" for the crown is ongoing and shows no sign of stopping any time soon, I suggest that my fellow citizens and I form a dukedom within the Lands of the East and elect a Duke to represent them until the crown has been given to somebody, and possibly after. The Duke would be responsible for the scenes, and matters within them, of the decided area, but not necessarily the areas outside.

The area between the gate and the stairs toward the Tea Market is what I suggest for the first dukedom, if it works out, we could look at electing others for the other areas.

For candidates, these are characteristics that, to me, make sense for the location:

[spoiler]

-Diplomatic

This area borders NML, like the mainlands, it should be expected that the leader will deal with them

-Not necessarily powerful (coins, creatures, stats, community influence) alone

(Theory time) All of the houses are centered around the bar, which could imply that this area represents the lower-class population, meaning it's leader should represent the lower-class population as well. Within the MD community, the idea of a lower-class sort of correlates with the young players.

-Friendly to younger players

Not necessarily to an LHO's level of helping them, but if you have no patience for younger players, perhaps you're better suited for another area of LotE

-Loyal, active, all the other things a leader in MD needs

[/spoiler]

If anybody is opposed to this idea, I'd love to hear why, and discuss.

And to be clear, I would put my name forward for this position only to get it established, with no promise to want it. Mostly, I want to see what people think and start a discussion.

To state as a preface, I have no strong opinions for or against this idea. I do, however, have a few questions, if you'd be so kind as to answer them?

1. Dukedom would mean that you would be ruled over by a specific territory and it's royalty, the Lands Of the East in this case. However, as there is no royalty to a) bestow this title or b) to rank higher in the hierarchy, how do you propose to be a "duke" when you'll be taking the role of a king?
  2. What powers would you expect a duke to have? Would it be equal to that of a king? Or will it be more of a "social" role? By that I mean, no real powers but you would act as a 'voice for the people'.

-Not necessarily powerful (coins, creatures, stats, community influence) alone

(Theory time) All of the houses are centered around the bar, which could imply that this area represents the lower-class population, meaning it's leader should represent the lower-class population as well. Within the MD community, the idea of a lower-class sort of correlates with the young players.

-Loyal, active, all the other things a leader in MD needs

My problems here are:

• Giving dukedom would be granting someone power. By giving power you need to make sure that person knows how to use it. Who will ensure that? Unless they've shown knowledge and skill with power before?
  • To be a successful leader (and usually to be even considered for leadership) you need to have some sort of community influence in the first place.
  • Finally, in my opinion, a leader needs understanding, wisdom, loyalty, knowledge of their dominion, influence and power. How they use that power though, is down to them. Are there many names that stand out to you as a worthy duke?

I think this could be an interesting idea, but I'm just interesting in hearing every side to it (not to try and sound like a party pooper!).

I wish you the best luck in this though and kudos for even stepping forward with an idea!

Edited by Sasha Lilias

1. Dukedom would mean that you would be ruled over by a specific territory and it's royalty, the Lands Of the East in this case. However, as there is no royalty to a) bestow this title or b) to rank higher in the hierarchy, how do you propose to be a "duke" when you'll be taking the role of a king?

I think of it like Roman Triumvirate. Afterall it looks like there will be more than one dukedom so it means rivalry. Before you know it East will become like Saudi Arabia :D

People give power like Rophs said. Although rebel system is isolated from gameplay atm.

@Sasha if the citizens choose to recognize a player as their leader and the player accepts that recognition then whoever the "Murpoints" king is has virtually no power. (There are the kingship items, but there is the rebel system.)

Um, Kingship>Dukedom. 

If they chose to follow the duke over the king and cause a rebellion, then that would mean they would rather that person appointed king. If that is the case then there is no point of a dukedom in the first place. Also may if I can point out:

Since the "quest" for the crown is ongoing and shows no sign of stopping any time soon, I suggest that my fellow citizens and I form a dukedom within the Lands of the East and elect a Duke to represent them until the crown has been given to somebody, and possibly after.

It would be down to the king to decide if this "dukedom" were to carry on or not. If a rebellion started, the king would still have every power until dethroned.

My point is, to have a duke there must be a hierarchy, from which a higher citizen has granted the title. A "leader of the people" isn't a duke, therefore I question the name.

I have no idea where you got your idea that I said "they wouldn't follow them if there was a king"? Please don't put words into my mouth.

I think of it like Roman Triumvirate. Afterall it looks like there will be more than one dukedom so it means rivalry. Before you know it East will become like Saudi Arabia  :D

People give power like Rophs said. Although rebel system is isolated from gameplay atm.

I would say it's more like a consul than anything?
Edited by Sasha Lilias

The name doesn't really matter at this point, and I'd rather not argue over semantics. Obviously the current ruler, the "Demon of the East", who is trying to pass the crown to someone else, would not grant somebody in his land the title of "Duke", it doesn't theme with his own title. The official name of the position can be figured out later, it was just the best fitting word I could think of.

PS: This is not a rebellion, or an attempt to take power from anyone. Please do not construe it as such.

While I don't care as much for who and why leads the East, and I still uphold my position that outsiders have no business in arguing how another land is ruled... 

May I suggest a "Regent"? Instead of a duke. Until someone is elected as true King, you could have someone lead the East in Mur's place - Mur remains the "King", but the Regent takes care of everything to make Mur's life easier.

My question is, has any of this even been discussed by anyone in the East?    No CT i know of has had any contact with you either about some "diplomatic leadership".  So where did this come from?  Or are you simply stating something out of your own mind, hoping that the rest of the East will follow?

Seems to me like it would be a good idea to talk to other Easterners before making a post like this for the public.

Edited by phantasm

• Root Admin

My question is, has any of this even been discussed by anyone in the East?    No CT i know of has had any contact with you either about some "diplomatic leadership".  So where did this come from?  Or are you simply stating something out of your own mind, hoping that the rest of the East will follow?

Seems to me like it would be a good idea to talk to other Easterners before making a post like this for the public.

This is the discussion for members of the east. Personally I feel this is the best way to contact all of the members of the east. Please lets keep the drama down Phan.

I made it clear I'm not trying to grab power, I tried show that I'm trying to do something for the good of others, and still you find a problem with it? I'm insulted, a little hurt, and extremely frustrated.

If nobody wishes to discuss the idea (not the name of the position that doesn't exist, and not the manner in which I put the idea forth), this topic can be locked.