Magicduel New Year 2016 Lottery

Eara Meraia

Dear MD-ers!

Tiny men are busy as hell and Santa is undusting his cloak. Christmas is already in front of our doors and New Year is coming very soon! Treasure Keepers want to contribute to overall festive mood by announcing a New Year Lottery 2016!

Lottery tickets, which you can by from me (Time Patrol) in game for 2 sc each will contain 4 random generated numbers (I will make sure that there will be no doubles). You can buy as many tickets as you want to!

The lottery will take place at Gazebo of Equilibrium at January 1. 2016 at 22 ST.

If you got a lucky ticket you might get following prizes:

4 correct digits - a Shade!

3 correct digits - an aged reindrach!

2 correct digits - a Sharptear!

It is obvious that the numbers need to be in correct order and next to each other (next to each other means if winning combination is 1234 you got a ticket 1284 you will NOT get a reindrach but a sharp, if you get a ticket 1238 or 8123 you will get a reindrach). But if you would get a ticket with all 4 correct numbers but in different order, we might get you some consolation prize ;)

For those who could not be present at the draw I will post the combination on forum so that they can check later.

The procedure is simple: I will roll a 1 digit die 4 times for a winning combination. If nobody gets the first prize with this combination I will roll again. Second and third prizes can be obtained from both winning combinations but only once per ticket!

Treasure Keepers wish you good luck and happy holidays!

PS: the lottery idea was inspired by Dutch annual New Year lottery, which seems to be a good tradition in here and maybe we will make it an MD tradition too, if you guys like it.

For clarity, I take it there's only going to be one winning number? As in just one set of dice rolls on the day (provided someone wins first go)?

If winning number is 1234, and I have 2348, do I still win, or does it have to start with the same number, as well as being in the correct sequence?

LE: Oh, also when are you normally around to buy tickets from? I'm going to buy some regardless of your answers to above, but they're good to know :)

Edited by Grido

1) if someone wins a shade in first roll there will be no second.

2) you still win because your numbers are in correct order and next to each other.

3) I will we at GoE every day except Sunday and Monday starting 22 ST unless some emergency happens. With those who cannot come at this time we can arrange a personal date. I will also be present at other times randomly.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks a lot Mur. It cannot happen with current rules that somebody wins  shade twice but if you want to sponsor a shade in any case we can change the rules so that I keep on drawing until somebody will get a main prize.

• Root Admin

thanks a lot Mur. It cannot happen with current rules that somebody wins  shade twice but if you want to sponsor a shade in any case we can change the rules so that I keep on drawing until somebody will get a main prize.

After discussion with all the sponsors :P

• Root Admin

if i understand right, the winner must get the exact numbers, right? so it might be that nobody wins , or many win, but there are just limited rewards. I was not refering to same person winning same thing, i mean if someone gets the numbers right, they should still win something... or at least thats how i see it

I don;t want to flood the market with rare crits, just to sponsor a reward that is very unlikely to happen anyway

• Root Admin

if i understand right, the winner must get the exact numbers, right? so it might be that nobody wins , or many win, but there are just limited rewards. I was not refering to same person winning same thing, i mean if someone gets the numbers right, they should still win something... or at least thats how i see it

I don;t want to flood the market with rare crits, just to sponsor a reward that is very unlikely to happen anyway

See original post Mur:

Lottery tickets, which you can by from me (Time Patrol) in game for 2 sc each will contain 4 random generated numbers (I will make sure that there will be no doubles).
Edited by Chewett

I think the easiest thing right now is to keep everything as it was initially announced. For the next year I will make sure to contact you, Mur, beforehands and discuss possible sponsorship.

Also, because this is my first lottery, after it is done, I ask everyone who participated and feels like giving some feedback to post in this topic your suggestions and we will consider them for the next year.

Winning combinations for MD New 2016 MD lottery are:

If you got one of those tickets you won a shade

If your ticket contain one of the following number combinations>

you won a reindrach!

if your ticket contains one of the following number combinations:

you won a sharptear!

According to my statistics we have

- no first prize winner (unfortunatelly)

- 1 second prize winner

- 22 third prize winners

To get your prize please write me a pm in game or forum pm with your winning ticket number.

Thanks everyone for participation and as I stated before feedback is welcome!

Happy New Year everyone!

• Root Admin

Its a nice contest, i can supplement the rewards next time if needed

How many participants?

just a thought, i think there could be a way to connect land treasury to this somehow

Also note..don't roll the dice with me in the scene as the results might be not so random, i won't go into details now, just don't :)

I don't know if its pure luck or you did an actual estimation of the chances, but the way the rewards got distributed is perfect. No first winner is fine, makes it so much more special for when one will be, and just one second prize. I am still not sure if this is because you picked just one or there was just one

i can supplement the rewards next time if needed

great! I will contact you for sure.

How many participants?

15 participants and around 170 tickets sold. I think next year we try to make a clickie for selling tickets, then it wont be dependant on my online times.

don't roll the dice with me in the scene as the results might be not so random

good to know...

I don't know if its pure luck or you did an actual estimation of the chances

I gave it some thought beforehands of course, but you never know how it will go in the end. All winners were chosen randomly :) There was only one second winner.

I would like to remind all participants to check their tickets (if they didnt do it so far) and claim their prizes. I have some more left to distribute.

2/10000 chance to win the 1st prize, 170 tickets means the host has 9660/10000 (roughly estimated, it should be 0.9998^170 = 0.9666 if identical allowed, or 9830*9829/(10000*9999) = 0.9663 if not allowed) chance to keep the prize. 

To be a non-profit commercial event (zero-sum game I mean), the first prize should worth around 2sc/(2/10000) = 2500 sc. 

The same way to deduce the fair value of 2nd and 3rd prizes:

2nd: 

Chance to win: 80/10000, value: 2/(80/10000) = 250 sc

3rd:

Chance to win: 1800/10000, value: 2/(1800/10000) = 11.11 sc

My suggestion is to increase the rolls of combination and change the prize accordingly. Otherwise it is a losing game for the participants for the long run. 

And actually the participants could pick their own combination, identical or not, which would be more interesting but wouldn't change the winning possibilities. (Image for enough long time, it might happen that someone win 10 or more shades, lol). And the more important is it will save you tons of time from generating digits one by one. But just take the records. 

Anyway, for a holiday event, it is fun enough:) 

Edited by yokin