Principles, Opus 1: a dissertation and proposal

In this realm doth exist of ten principles of magic.

Although these have existed almost since its inception, it seemeth that these, to the untrained wielder, exist only in description, and to add to the strength of tokens upon creatures that were bound to one in servitude.

In addition, one notes that presently there doth exist limit to these; one may not possess more than four thousand points in any principle, and, if it may be called thus, one may not master of more than five
individual principles. These are governed by unwritten laws of the realm, and enforced by the code that doth underly it, and shape it.

The aforementioned, I believe, were an illusion. Indeed, to claim mastery, or to be limited of one's principles by Mind-Power were as meaningless as to claim mastery over any force, or being - to purport to be so were to claim the status of a god, or other deity. For principles, like thoughts, feelings, and sensations, are impossible to quantify; they exist in the sense a memory exists, or a experience exists; these are qualitative by nature; yet do have elements that may be quantified.

To illustrate, if one were to observe of the Moon in passage, one doth notice of the length of its period, for which cyclicity may be quantified and of its luminance, for which light may be quantified. Yet these are not in true essence, principles, but the observation of their effect, in the same way that beings of the other-realm do quantify of suffering, or euphoria. While one may note, oft with absolute certainty, of the presence of these, one cannot compare one's pain directly with another; one may only offer meaningful comparison when one should consider the magnitude of the source.

Furthermore were the affirmation that one cannot merely limit herself to five; engagement and interaction of the realm necessitates of all ten. One cannot, in example, sip of the flask within the Graveyard and return to life without invoking of syntropic magic; yet one may do so without mastery thereof.

Thus I do propose of a revision in the Principles of the realm; for those who do value of strength in combat, a purpose in their being beyond that of tokens; for those who do not, a purpose in creation and discovery. But foremost, a revision that I believe is necessary for both - principles must be mutable; one needst of possibility to obtain, store, gain, and lose these with actions.

What, then, should mutability offer? One may obtain and store of these in exchange for heat; upon return to the land, magic returneth to the unbound master, in form of its beings.
This, I believe, should remain; the identity of the land were in part tied to those principles that it doth return. Yet, if one may then purpose of the stored principle, then one should be free to choose another in its stead. Thus may one consume of one's stored principles, to return them unto the land that did grant of it.

Once one has consumed of a principle, one may then acquaint oneself of a new, or the same, principle; by reading of principle documents, that were scattered of the realm - I have discussed of this elsewhere.

In essence, one may obtain, increase, and then expend, of these; similar to the way that one presently may do so of heat, in combat. I would think one should require to obtain the maximum within one principle (currently, at four thousand points) to suffice for a single use.

Of their function:

For those that do value of strength in combat, I propose a new set of equipment; the Domina Principii, each may be traded for four thousand points of a named principle. In this manner, those that do require completeness in this set must also obtain four thousand points of each principle. These should materialise upon revision of the named principle - that is, to read again of the Principle Document which doth pertain to the relevant piece.

The relative strength of these may be altered; this were merely a concept, and one should ignore of the figures insofar as they remain arbitrary.

Helm: 4000 points of Imagination (+100% maximum action points)
Chest: 4000 points of Balance (+1000 regeneration)
Pants: 4000 points of Cyclicity (+1000 briskness)
Gloves: 4000 points of Elements (+1000 power)
Boots: 4000 points of Transposition (+1000 initiative)
Primary weapon: 4000 points of Entropy (+1000 attack)
Shield: 4000 points of Syntropy (+1000 defence)
Ring: 4000 points of Light (+100% VE)
Ring: 4000 points of Darkness (+100% VP)
Amulet: 4000 points of Time (+1000 luck)

For those that do not value of their strength in combat, I propose:

For any single principle, at a maximum of 4000 points:
ten credits, for the first time this were achieved.

For two principles, at a maximum of 4000 points:
an additional Erolin sphere, for the first time this were achieved.

For three principles, at a maximum of 4000 points:
a permanent increase in one's action points by 100

For five principles, at a maximum of 4000 points:
Four regenerable casts of a spell at level 1

For obtaining all ten principles at a maximum of 4000 points (with note that one may only wield of five concomitantly):
a wish point shall be granted, for the first time this were achieved.

For specific principles, I believe one should be able to distil these, that they may be used as reagents; with four thousand points of a principle sufficient as a single, arbitrary unit of principle (as an item, such as "Distilled Cyclicity").

I would think these important for inner-magic - noting, indeed, that any realm shaping magic should require of many vials of various principles required, and that the magic-weaver should also exercise of expertise in this. But this shall be a topic for subsequent dissertation.

Edited by Aia del Mana

Spoiler

The problem is magic principles, once chosen, become part of your identity, so changing them should be a painful trial. Dying, temporary incapacity to perform magic, permanent loss of erolins or other debilitating effects would accompany something as replacing principles.

I remember a zen story I read long time ago (I'm not into zen, but the story is cute) in which the pupil starts showing off his knowledge about Zen. The master pours tea in a cup and offers it to the pupil, then asks him 'Would you like me to fill your cup?'. The lesson here is that in order to fill a cup, you must have an empty cup. I use this as argument to support the idea of principle replacement - it should be possible.

Not sure whether you want this topic clean (no answers), but you can ask mods to move this reply to another topic. ????

I'm all for the idea, the concept, and your proposed execution. Truly, it's quite well thought out. My only gripe however, would be in agreement with ungod. Replacing a principle shouldn't reward you in my eyes, it should have a price that must be payed.

An example if I may. I myself do not use tokens, a self inflicted law from a self inflicted wound a decade old. I picked principles that felt correct to me, of me, by me. This led to a uniquely my own set of principles, and they were not optimal for token fueled combat. If I had the chance to change and pick them all over again, however, I would be hard pressed to pick the ones that are "the best" for combat. Double anti freeze from two separate tokens and insane buffs all around.

I'd be tempted to replace a set of principles that is dear to me, literally makes up who I am as Fang (a literal mirror of myself but in this world) for an unbeatable upper hand in combat. And that worries me. Call me a fool for worrying that temptation would get the best of me but... if the option to change my principles from "me" to "power" is there, my morals and ethics would battle with my inner need for stacking the deck in my favor.

I know in my heart I'd be 90% inclined to keep myself as I am, but I'd do so only after obtaining the armour set you suggest here if it were implemented, since my crippling OCD and Completionist nature dominate my conscious mind. I like the idea. It's a great one. I just think wed need to pay a price for this ability, instead of being rewarded for being rewarded.