limited creature voucher from shop

Mallos

This "limited creature voucher" would be at the end of a shop section, maybe the timed or permanent boosters, you could have like 8 of them in that section. When purchased they are just a ticket in your inventory, but with the corresponding wish shop option chosen you can redeem them for a limited time available (anniversary) creature. Every time a new creature is made as well as for all the old ones that would be available through this ticket, you can add the corresponding wish shop option for that creature that will use these tickets to make that creature.

We already have wish shop options for creatures, while I think a wish typically outvalues the creatures, the wp itself is not the valuable aspect it is the ability to use it to get what you want that is valuable. What people want is subjective, but a lot of people want anniversary creatures and even more people have no avenue to obtain them. If you consider the scarcity of these creatures along with their value, why should anyone ever trade them to someone else? If I am to answer that, my idea is that they no longer care about what creatures they have, people who do care will not trade them away, so we are forced to wait until people stop wanting their things to obtain them. This option circumvents that process and is specifically meant to do away with the notion that things should be completely fixed in quantity.

Not a fan of this at all, never mind adding it to the shop. There are already plenty of interesting and powerful items in the shop, we don't need more, even if it also required earning wishpoints to use effectively. Being able to generate 8 of a particular creature each reset for a wishpoint is insane. That is potentially 24+ each year?

I also don't understand this notion, why everything should be available to everyone, equally - what is wrong with having something being difficult, scarce, or otherwise not available? Is that not part of the value and desirability? Not only that, there are plenty of chances to earn these things now - hell just login in for a year straight if you want a semi-rare creature, use that wish!

We've already seen what happens when you make something more available, in gold and silver coins... It just made them worth less and nowhere near as desirable as before.

no you can get 8 out of the shop each reset, they each take 1 wishpoint to use, the wishpoints can be sufficiently deep in the WP shop to deter alt farms, such as 5 or 8 wishpoints required to be spent before the wish is available.

What is with the notion that you need special things and nobody else can have them? Don't we play video games to have fun with stuff?

Here you should consider not that it is scarce, but limited or unavailable. Consider the portion of players who own a creature that has a fixed quantity who will never log in again for various reasons. Consider the portion of players who own a creature that has a fixed quantity who will log in again but will not sell it. Consider the portion of players who own a creature that has a fixed quantity and will log in again, but the price for them to sell it to you is too high, someone else will buy it. Consider the portion of players who own a creature that has a fixed quantity who will log in again and sell it to you. Then consider that you want that creature.

Edited by Mallos

• Root Admin
12 hours ago, Else said:

Also I believe no more past anniversary creatures can be made according to announcements.

This is correct.

39 minutes ago, Mallos said:

What is with the notion that you need special things and nobody else can have them? Don't we play video games to have fun with stuff?

Something to consider, which is why games/etc make some things rarer/harder is that the rarer things are, the more you value them when you manage to attain them. Studies have shown that a lot of the enjoyment in games and in life more generally is attained by getting something through effort. By spending time on something you value it more and get more enjoyment out of attaining it. With games there is an important balance between something being rare, and being too easy and "worthless".

To reference another game, In Pokemon Go some Pokemon can be shiny, the chance is quite low unless it is a special event so they are valued. A lot of players within the community get annoyed if suddenly an event is announced that makes a particular shiny more common, especially if they worked hard to get it. They also don't value the "easy" shinies as there is no skill/effort involved to get them. Some even get quite angry after getting the "useless" common shinies. There are also some players within the community that can't handle the fact that it takes effort to achieve some things and leave, they get frustrated by it. Thats fine, not every game is for everyone.

We actively monitor creatures available/active in the realm when we create quest prizes and similar things, the auction is based on some of the "wanted" items for example. If you think something is impossible/too hard to attain, let me know in a PM and I shall consider what we might do to change it.

In Pokemon Go you have shinies, which anyone can catch if they are lucky enough, but you also have exclusive event limited pikachus and squirtles with glasses etc, which if you weren't there you are square  or otherwise waiting for the devs to be kind enough to rerun the event.

If you say that they are not being created anymore, while also saying they will be auctioned, there is some discrepancy there. At least they can come from old stock but the reason I have to repeat "log in again" is that the stock is not infinite nor necessarily well balanced.

I would suggest you to try to get them at the auction or trade from someone with gold/plushies, definitely there is no guarantee you will get what you want.

I am ok with them being scarce as they are meant to be for collection, not combat, maybe I will regret saying this if I never manage to collect them all 🤣

2 hours ago, Mallos said:

What is with the notion that you can't have special things as everybody else must be allowed to have them? I mean, don't we play video games to have fun with stuff?

I considered everything in the wall of text - I just don't understand the problem? If somebody really wants something, they will find a way obtain it - from my point of view this is just dumbing everything down to the lowest, blandest common denominator. I only just obtained my first Morph this year - obtaining one was far more fun, engaging, and meaningful as a result of it taking so long and being such a chance opportunity. Why should that challenege be taken from other players? Why should it be easier to obtain a full set of Anniversary creatures, when I have been actively playing and trying for over a decade in order to maintain one?

As an aside, I am totally perplexed by the suggestions that Anni crits should be less limited... isn't that the point? Hopefully I'm just mis-reading that though.

1 hour ago, Ledah said:

What is with the notion that you can't have special things as everybody else must be allowed to have them? I mean, don't we play video games to have fun with stuff?

I considered everything in the wall of text - I just don't understand the problem? If somebody really wants something, they will find a way obtain it - from my point of view this is just dumbing everything down to the lowest, blandest common denominator. I only just obtained my first Morph this year - obtaining one was far more fun, engaging, and meaningful as a result of it taking so long and being such a chance opportunity. Why should that challenege be taken from other players? Why should it be easier to obtain a full set of Anniversary creatures, when I have been actively playing and trying for over a decade in order to maintain one?

As an aside, I am totally perplexed by the suggestions that Anni crits should be less limited... isn't that the point? Hopefully I'm just mis-reading that though.

If you can consider it, you can see it is placing the rarity at further and further links down the chain, I give four outcomes here, a lot of things can be boiled down to simple points like if/then and why, the why here is to me like why are you placing it further down the chain. The one that I object to is the non-infinite substances in a computer game like this, we have a special case that nothing is zero-sum if you don't want it to be and people still want it to be. I don't care how rare it is, it just shouldn't be gone from the world, why write the code for it when you will not use it?

Edited by Mallos

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, Mallos said:

If you say that they are not being created anymore, while also saying they will be auctioned, there is some discrepancy there.

No new ones are created, we always have X, but X are kept back and slowly distributed. I hope to always have a few to distribute either through "buy backs" or similar.

I like the idea of using shop tickets in conjunction with wish points to get some rare crit. I don’t think that it should be a anniversary crit as I would prefer to be active around MD anniversary to try my chance to obtain one. 

Although I am a bit sour because I missed all of the other anniversary crits, but to be fair I was offline for a little over 6-8 years. I am happy enough that I was able to obtain sufficient plushies this year to be able to get an anniversary crit. 

What if we continue with your original suggestion excluding ani crits.

food for thought ->

What would we have left that would be worth exchanging a ticket and a WP for?