Adventure Log 1.1

Ren

AL - be honest please  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Ren' post='20343' date='Nov 19 2008, 01:30 PM']...
Don't think of the AL as a changelog. Think of it as...rumors that you hear when you're sitting in a common room, enjoying your tea or coffee or water or beer.
...[/quote]
It's near impossible to relate in-character what happens in the adventure log though, because if it isn't about something that's happening in a secluded area it's something that information of would sound very strange indeed. And if it is something that's easily common knowledge, I'm still almost reluctant to suddenly know it until told in-character because it almost feels cheap to do so.
"You hear about what happened to phrog yet?" "Nah. Who'd you hear it from?" "...some... guy. At... the pub. Yeah." "..."

I didn't say the analogy was perfect. :) Although, you'd be surprised how many people don't read the AL, or even know it exists...that you can astound with your knowledge of it. haha...

Anyways, you don't have to be such an extremely hardcore roleplayer that you won't acknowledge something unless someone tells you about it in character...and if you want to be, why are you here talking about this at all? It's against your character to meta-game...

You shouldn't take everything I say (or anyone..) so seriously and literally. Sure, to a character, Marind's Bell might be a large town. But, it's not like you can't easily say you ride a knator of impossible speed so that you can get anywhere quickly. The realm is large, but it's not so large that you can't take a step outside of the Sanctuaries that everyone holes up in and say "hello realm!"

[quote name='Ren' post='20393' date='Nov 19 2008, 10:44 PM']Anyways, you don't have to be such an extremely hardcore roleplayer that you won't acknowledge something unless someone tells you about it in character...and if you want to be, why are you here talking about this at all? It's against your character to meta-game...[/quote]
I'm here to tell you what I feel about your log.
[quote name='Ren' post='20393' date='Nov 19 2008, 10:44 PM']You shouldn't take everything I say (or anyone..) so seriously and literally. Sure, to a character, Marind's Bell might be a large town. But, it's not like you can't easily say you ride a knator of impossible speed so that you can get anywhere quickly. The realm is large, but it's not so large that you can't take a step outside of the Sanctuaries that everyone holes up in and say "hello realm!"[/quote]
What I'm saying is that it creates inconsistencies. Of course liberties can be taken to incorporate the AL into everything else. Of course it's affecting the game world. I can't explain knowledge of what was said 6 hours ago still floating in the air for others to see in game-either, but I call them whispers and let them go too.
Did you read my post and get the point of it? I'm guessing you did from the response. I'm not taking your analogy literally, I'm using it because you're the one who set it up. I didn't think you'd mind so much. Sure, I don't have to be a roleplayer, but I think that's most of the point of the game isn't it? I don't feel comfortable with the tone of your post. It's almost like you're saying that my roleplaying style is bad because I'm trying to reinforce something that it looks like you're aware of or that even getting in-character once in a while is a bad thing.
[quote name='Ren' post='20393' date='Nov 19 2008, 10:44 PM']Although, you'd be surprised how many [b]people don't read the AL, or even know it exists[/b]...that you can astound with your knowledge of it. haha...[/quote]
It's a nice little set of stories, don't get me wrong. There's simply no incentive. There's no incentive to sit and listen to anyone else either or play the game, but it's all a matter of what you find fun. The AL, while it might be expansive and a little bit interesting to watch affect the game once in a blue moon, is not something I'm keeping track of.

Hmm.. just a bit of something though.
I really liked the old AL character support thing, where the task given is to help the chracter solve a secret of the game (as happened with Mt.Kelletha adventure). The last few riddles were more like puzzles, which, while people still need to think a lot for the answer, has a pretty narrow possibility for correct answers (yes you can guess with a very wide possibilitym but only a limited number of answer would make sense). Of course, this also happened in the past, say like.. the Morpheus riddle part, but I'd love to see more of mt.Kelletha kind of adventure that opens up a LOT of posiibillities for new theory crafting. We still have a lot of places like that which can be used for it like, say.. the [spoiler]temporal vault[/spoiler]?
i do like the riddle type as well, but we're already getting a lot of riddles from RPC quests, so I'd love to see more of the Al adventures requiring theory-making =)

Soltis I was just poking fun at your motives for posting. Again, not so serious. :D

Udgard, I definitely agree with you..although, those come up much less often. I rather hope to make use of both the quests and the game secrets. That way we get lots of places for people to participate...and occasionally awesome results. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay! I'm finally back. :) I'm not almighty important enough for Manu to give me an announcement like Shoeps though. :D Thanks for the cookie. :)

Treehill....what exactly do you mean by changing the AL through a doc...You mean going back in time on its pages to edit it? You most likely won't get the ability. Manu is rather touchy about people who aren't the original author editing things...or so I've heard. :)

[quote name='Ren' post='21806' date='Dec 12 2008, 06:14 AM']Okay! I'm finally back. :) I'm not almighty important enough for Manu to give me an announcement like Shoeps though. :D Thanks for the cookie. :)

Treehill....what exactly do you mean by changing the AL through a doc...You mean going back in time on its pages to edit it? You most likely won't get the ability. Manu is rather touchy about people who aren't the original author editing things...or so I've heard. :)[/quote]

No im saying like using an spell doc to do something with someone in AL....like curing phrog,since the docs are made for that

Just a suggestion, I was trying to read back through the AL and it was very difficult with all the different threads all over the place...

It would be [i]very[/i] helpful if there was a way to view just one thread at a time. This doesn't seem like incredibly much to code, and it would make reading the AL a lot easier.

Awi

Well, in terms of rearranging them, they're like this so you see what happens "in real time" so to speak. I'll see about getting something to read complete threads by themselves though. It is a nice idea.

I also think it would be helpful to create an option to view the entries from oldest to new. I might be slow or something, but it took me a while to figure out that when viewing all the entries at once in the separate window, you have to scroll all the way down to reach the first. Quite confusing. I read some spoilers, unhappily. :)

Both of these are great ideas that will be dealt with soon hopefully. (Though, not quite as soon as we hope. There are more pressing matters first). I believe the two will be combined. The completed branches will be rearranged oldest to newest in their own section (somehow, somewhere). And the ongoing branches will remain as they are. That's the idea for now anyways. We'll see what ends up happening. -_-

• 1 month later...

Alright! We've started separating the AL branches up and putting them in order as well! In the process we are also reediting many of them to correct spelling and grammar that we missed from long ago. Of course, the process takes time. We only have the Golemus Wizard and RJ's Dragon quests so far, but the others are being worked on. Thanks for the idea!

[url="http://md-archives.com/categories/Archives-of-Legends/Official-Documents/Adventure-Log/"]Adventure Reconstruction[/url]

• 4 weeks later...