Architect's Rendering

GlorDamar

Here is an initial rendering of the dojo grounds. It will look a little different when it's finally built (like it will be in game style) as there's still a fair amount of design work to do. I've designed the building and the training grounds, but I need some suggestions for the kinds of things that should be put in there.

MD-Dojo.jpg

Here's a few examples of things I've sketched up.

post-1954-1220799286_thumb.jpg

A practice dummy

post-1954-1220799296_thumb.jpg

What the actual beam/column connections might look like

Your input is appreciated.

GlorDamar

The Architect

I like it!

Maybe could add a oriental and decorative chair in the middle of the shaded area. Also a red carpet with golden lines on the side running right through from the entrance to the the chair. On either side of the carpet, there would be dummies and things. Also the colour scheme would be red and gold with the walls, flat light grey blocks of stone for the floor, orange like colour for the roof. Maybe the pillars/walls could be decorated with whatever you want the dojo to be themed, for example, a Tai chi training ground would be simple and things would mostly be made of wood and things.

My ideas ^^

I disagree with the Carpet Idea, Carpets outdoors.... just badness.

It looks as though you have gone with an Arena Format, so here are somethings I think of when I think or Arenas (Dojo Style)...

- Weapon Racks, a Must have, Preferably with a Little of Everything.

- Perhaps a Small Raised Arena for the Matches (Could be Simpler, like a Ring of Rocks)

In terms of Decoration: (some of this Might be Overboard and take up too much Space)

- Banners with Symbols and Characters (Ying-Yang is common)

- Dojo's typically have a small Shrine

- Water Features, Martial Arts and Dojos are all about Finding your Center, and Inner Strength. Often this means Meditation in some way. Water is great for it's soothing effects in this Regard (Don't forget a Little Green as well).

If its a rendition of the Park, where's the fountain?

no, it's not the park. This would be a new location. Probably somewhere in Mardind's Bell or No Man's Land.

Also, it's not so much an arena as it is a practice field. I think the floor may be sand or smooth paving stones with grass growing through some of the joints. The steps are places for people to sit and watch while the sides will be targets or banners (I like that idea) or dummies or something like that. I also like the idea of a water feature / meditation area. Maybe a zen garden... I also intend for the building to be all wooden with a kind of chinese type of joinery. Fairly simple though, not the elaborate stuff.

Yea the Oriental Feel is what I was getting from it as well.

On second thought, I agree the Whole Arena idea is a bit Theatrical for a Dojo...

Keeping it simple Sounds good. I kinda Half picture it as a Bit worn down as well, like a Few Practice Dummies Lying on the Ground in Pieces, possible from a Dojo Trainee who didn't know their own Strength... "Worn Down" might be the wrong words, more like "Well Used"...

Yea the Oriental Feel is what I was getting from it as well.

On second thought, I agree the Whole Arena idea is a bit Theatrical for a Dojo...

Keeping it simple Sounds good. I kinda Half picture it as a Bit worn down as well, like a Few Practice Dummies Lying on the Ground in Pieces, possible from a Dojo Trainee who didn't know their own Strength... "Worn Down" might be the wrong words, more like "Well Used"...

Well Used... I hadn't really thought of that. Good idea.

• Root Admin

pleare remember the location has to be very VERY well integrated with the current drawing style and locations. we can talk about possible locations, or even a new map EAST... just dont do work without thinking about things because they are important if you want the location placed in game.

pleare remember the location has to be very VERY well integrated with the current drawing style and locations. we can talk about possible locations, or even a new map EAST... just dont do work without thinking about things because they are important if you want the location placed in game.

Hey, you know me. I won't let you down. The computer rendering is just the backdrop I use to get the perspective right and then I do the hand - pencil drawing to create the game style. I'll post the background when I get it done and then you'll see.

YOU'LL ALL SEE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAA!

Okay, I was thinking I'd just show the completed project, but I thought I might share a little bit about how I go about this, so here's the base drawing.

post-1954-1220929521_thumb.jpg

After this I will add the background - sky, trees, etc.

Then I'll start putting in the details - practice dummies, archery targets, banners, flags, people, etc.

Once I get all of those pieces drawn, I'll put them together in photoshop and the dojo will be complete. I'll post more as I get it done.

Oh, and a little PS to Mur... I could REALLY use the ability to freely visit all of the map. Screenshots just don't give you the feel of how one place moves into another and how they should associate. Not to bother you during the festival, but MAN... that would be nice.

no, it's not the park. This would be a new location. Probably somewhere in Mardind's Bell or No Man's Land.

I saw this a while ago and let Glor know I liked it. I've written to him extensively, so I won't make more than a few token remarks. I like the oriental feeling with a shrine, weapon racks, training dummies and dummies with armor, a place for meditation.

LOCATION: It must be Marind Bell. The No Man's Land option vanished a few hours ago. I cannot divulge why, but if negotiations go as planned, there will be a dramatic change with regard to the No Man's Land Dojo. Stay tuned. As for the Loreroot dojo, Neyla and the high council have plans for something which Mur has apparently approved. I have no idea what those plans call for though I expect to learn soon.

I know where shall it be!

From Marble Dale park, go left, to the Marble Stairs.There is a free way to the left. I think that it's a perfect playce, since: it's close to the center of MB, just 2 move from Marble dale PArk, and Just 7 moves from the Capitol. And thats not a central place like the MD park, so the passing players who don't obey the laws of Dojo will not make killing Sprees.

Thats my idea.

Keep on the drawing, i like it Glor!

I know where shall it be!

From Marble Dale park, go left, to the Marble Stairs.There is a free way to the left. I think that it's a perfect playce, since: it's close to the center of MB, just 2 move from Marble dale PArk, and Just 7 moves from the Capitol. And thats not a central place like the MD park, so the passing players who don't obey the laws of Dojo will not make killing Sprees.

Thats my idea.

Keep on the drawing, i like it Glor!

That was where I was thinking too, either that or accessed off of Willow's Walk

May I suggest no escalators or steps, just at the same ground level? (so that it will look like a real dojo *grins* )

I wanted the steps for people to sit on and observe the training and combat. I also chose the solid platforms to fit with the chinese earth oriented construction. I'm going to go a little bit of a chinese/european middle ages hybrid here. I think that will fit in with the game well.

I wanted the steps for people to sit on and observe the training and combat. I also chose the solid platforms to fit with the chinese earth oriented construction. I'm going to go a little bit of a chinese/european middle ages hybrid here. I think that will fit in with the game well.

Okies :D

But there's no sitting in a real Dojo, you either fight or do warm ups you Don't sit, I took Judo for a few months that's how I know this hon, if you sit in a dojo it's because you're doing floor excercises but if you sit & do nothing you'll get a reprimend by the teacher & a few punishments (push ups etc). *shrugs* Was just trying to help with the visualization, to make it closer to reality.

Okies :D

But there's no sitting in a real Dojo, you either fight or do warm ups you Don't sit, I took Judo for a few months that's how I know this hon, if you sit in a dojo it's because you're doing floor excercises but if you sit & do nothing you'll get a reprimend by the teacher & a few punishments (push ups etc). *shrugs* Was just trying to help with the visualization, to make it closer to reality.

I appreciate that and I know what you mean, the difference here is the manner in which the in game dojo actually seems to function. I should put some mats in for floor exercise though, that's a good idea.

Glor, I should be paying more attention. Time in-game has distracted me from the forums.

I have been meaning to ask you... I would like there to be a large Yin-Yang symbol someplace. On a wall or on a standard. The idea came from my apprentices and it is good. I think we may be doing something else with the symbol as we get a little further down the road. There are many projects I have been putting of until the end of the festival. Mur and Shoeps have been busy enough without me pestering them about stuff.

About the steps: Please, please keep them. I appreciate Bloodmoon's knowledge of real world dojos. They are my inspiration and what she says is correct, but this is MagicDuel. In creating the dojo I am teaching much, much more than martial arts. In a way one could say teaching combat is just a way to get people into an environment designed to teach other lessons. This purpose is working and being refined. In any case, the depressed center and steps divide the space up and suggest that more is happening than simply training exercises and duels. I particular, I am inspired by the Way of the Samurai. The word means "servant." To enter the life of a samurai one adopts a life of service to others. A well trained samurai would have studied calligraphy, a musical instrument, poetry, social graces, and a lot more. And, oh yes, Mastery of weapons.

When I look at the dojo, I see the Mistress and Her apprentices standing in the back or wandering through and making a correction here or there. In one corner adepts sit in lotus position and meditate. In another, there is a well and student's drinking pure water. Along one side a group of students are all practicing the same sequence of motions. Elsewhere there are discussion of philosophy. That's the dojo I believe I have created, it is a busy, industrious place. This is a vision, something to be pursued. In the weeks and months to come I see training dojo staff to handle things more diplomatically, to encourage greater participation, etc.

Things have been slow, yet I have been watching what happens in the dojo, analyzing problems, meditating on possible solutions. SageWoman and Meru Chi, my apprentices, as wise women with training in the ways of spirit. We've been discussing many things (while not trying to rescue Sage from Khal and all).

Glor, I am going to need signs. Scrolls on the walls with the rules, announcements of upcoming guest teachers, e.g. DST, AqlBeast, Wodin. I need to discuss the maintenance of the sign contents with mur, but these two scrolls, at the least, need to be added. If there are other scrolls there will be quotes from Sun Tzu, Miyamoto Musashi, and from Daoist and Buddhist tracts. There may also be examples of calligraphy, brush and ink paintings, etc. You provide the scrolls, I'll find content and try to have it change on a regular basis. This is what I recall at the moment. Loreroot dojo will have the alliance symbol and the yin-yang.

Previously I had said that this dojo could not be in No Man's Land. The deal has been struck and Mur and Shoeps notified, Adv. Log. scheduled and all that. An existing site has been chosen in No Man's Land. When it shows up in the AL, you will see there are historic reasons for this site and it's principle teacher.

Has anyone been assigned to the the Loreroot dojo yet? I may be getting ahead of things, in asking about this. I know Neyla has Mur's approval and my participation, but I have no idea if any request has been made yet.

There's a few hints of things to come in the weeks and months ahead. That wraps it up, I think, I probably need to see a guy about that altar...

::Calyx waves goodbye and blows kisses to all::

::exit::

Wow, that was much to read Calyx.

Shouldn't it be an idea to put the names of the "Sensei's" on the scrolls on the wall?
About the dojo in Loreroot, I have never been to Loreroot, but I think that since Loreroot is more like a forest, shouldn't it look like a forest Dojo or something, Instead of sand or Stones, Pillars and stuff more like wood, trees and that kind of stuff.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Morquor' post='16454' date='Sep 11 2008, 05:44 AM']I know where shall it be!

Thats my idea.
Keep on the drawing, i like it Glor![/quote]

I second to that. As the Dojo being on Marind Park, it is easy access to players who don't like to obey
Dojo rules.