Do you want to auction for your avatar?

dst

Do you want to auction for your avatar?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think there should be an action, it would negate the entire idea of everything at the MD shop being 1 credit. To prevent people who check first all the time from having all the nice avatars, you could have a lottery... Buying a ticket for 1 credit and 48 hours after the lottery starts someone is picked and has won the avatar. But than there are still two options, you get your credit back if you didn't win or you don't.

I really don't like the auction idea, but I also don't like the first come first serve system.
the first favors people with deep pockets, and the second favors people in certain time zones.

I have a different idea.
Keep the current avatars system the way it is, but allow people to "order" their own avatar, for an extra credit or 2.
For example, if I want a special avatar, I ask one of the avatar makers to do it, which costs me 1 (or more) credits
The avatar maker draws it and uploads it, and links it to my character.
I get a message telling me that the avatar is ready, and I'll have 24 hours to buy it from the shop, for the normal 1 credit.
During those 24 hours, nobody can buy it.
After that time, the avatar becomes available to everyone.

I have another option.

Once the avatars are ready, they stay there for say 24-48 hours, and several people can put in an interest to purchase. At the end of the period, it is either given randomly to someone, or it's given to the player with the most days...

i dont care, i only care to get some system to get awarded avatars, since i got awarded with custom avatar and it isnt finished yet, i should get it imeadetly, but still i have to buy it when it will be finished, and what if someone else get avatar which i worked to get it, and what if someone took my avatar on auction, all this would be for nothing

[quote name='stormrunner' post='17524' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:34 PM']dragoonus that is both a good idea and a bad one it makes sense but it's no better than the first come first serve system[/quote]

It means older players get priority (assuming it isn't random) it is first come first served... but first come first served to the game, as opposed to the first who gets online once new avatars are added. I suggest this because I think older players deserve an avatar before others, and if it were just to be random, somebody who has been playing only a few weeks may get an avatar and then stop playing a few days/weeks later... seems like a waste of an avatar (this is true of the current system also).

[quote name='Tremir' post='17521' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:08 PM']I really don't like the auction idea, but I also don't like the first come first serve system.
the first favors people with deep pockets, and the second favors people in certain time zones.

I have a different idea.
Keep the current avatars system the way it is, but allow people to "order" their own avatar, for an extra credit or 2.
For example, if I want a special avatar, I ask one of the avatar makers to do it, which costs me 1 (or more) credits
The avatar maker draws it and uploads it, and links it to my character.
I get a message telling me that the avatar is ready, and I'll have 24 hours to buy it from the shop, for the normal 1 credit.
During those 24 hours, nobody can buy it.
After that time, the avatar becomes available to everyone.[/quote]
I like this idea. I would certainly spend an extra credit or 2 for a custom avatar of my "design".

I have mixed feelings on this one. I don't like the idea of an avatar going to the person with the most money. So far, first come first serve seems most fair. To tell the truth though, I've personally missed an avatar that was made specifically for my avatar. I hate that someone else is wearing it. I hate that I can't have it, but then again if the price was $20 I would never have had the chance to aquire it in anycase.

While I really REALLY want my beautiful Penny Moon avatar, I'm willing to wait, negotiate, plead, and sit up random weird hours in the hope it's abandoned. What I really can't afford to do is spend money. First come, First served has disadvantages, but at least it's fair.

One idea that might help level the playing field (time zones make me crazy too): Rather than an announcement that says "11 avatars were released"....why not announce the release of avatars a day in advance? Then those who have interest can be waiting when they arrive. Even those that don't get the new avatars will have choices on the abandoned avatars of other players.

Personally I like the idea of an auction or a lottery. I think maybe the level 2 avatars should be the ones auctioned though and the level 1 avatars should still be first come first served. Either that, or there should be a shop item that allows people who buy it to get into the avatar part of the shop a day before everyone else.

Ideally I think there should be some manner of custom avatar system put in place, but at this point I think Manu's got a lot on his plate and this may not be a priority for him.

I think that two system should be implemented

Firstly, I like the idea of a lottery type system over a certain time period as this would make the system far fairer, but it would only deduct credits from the person who gets it. (It would also make it far more interesting and fun!)

Also I think that the paying extra for a custom avatar would allow people to help build up their character, But it should be somewhat restricted other wise who ever makes them wont be releasing any for the lottery.

Of course I'm personally no where near owning my own avatar but it would be nice to have that kind of system in place for when I can.

I think Lv2 Avatars can go to the Auction system, but Lv 1 should stay the way they are. That way everyone can get an Avatar through the Old system, yet if someone has alot of Credits they can try for some of the Special (colored) Avatars Available.

I agree with Glor a better system needs to be in place for Custom Avatars, but that will likely not be coming anytime soon.

• Root Admin

looks to me the option is clear.
level 1 avatars will remain at 1credit and level2 will be auction.
THere will be about 1/10 lvl2 avatars, or less. This is avrg..sometimes will be more lvl2 sometimes none, but in general thats the ratio.

lottery system could work somehting like more players submit for one avatar and only one is selected, however i fear things will be tottaly random and somehow the first come first served is better for lvl1 when you see an avatar and instantly get in love with it an get it. Hoping for an avatar and then losing it by bad luck its not something i like to much.

• Root Admin

having that situation just for the lvl2 avatars is more acceptable than for all of them. i think lvl1 should be instant buy (1 credit) and lvl 2 should be more ..competition. I wish i could supply an avatar for each player but thats obviously not possible so you have a few options,

- to have the avatar gallery most of the time empty
- to have a lottery for all avatars and then people will lose interes when picking an avatar the 100 time
- to have avatar gal empty like now (instant buy), without lottery but offer the lvl2 avatars as a bid over a number of days.

I dont see many other options realy. Having a lotery for avatars is the same as asigning one randomly just that its more cruel. With 1000 players participating and 10 avatars in gallery you will have a very slim chance to get one ...first time its ok, you lose, but what about after several times when you start to feel the lottery is 'stupid'.

I realy dont like having items priced over 1 credit in mdshop. The incresed value comes from how deep the item is placed in the shop, but given the current situation i seem to have no choice, the lvl2 avatar mdshop item is not deep enough to limit players from instantly getting a lvl2 avatar once one is up.

About custom avatars, i consider this as an option, will probably have a different fee as a normal avatar, fee shared with the artist creating the avatar, but i dont see this to happen before the new rpc admin is done and that will take a while.

As future developments its possible to use wishpoints as bidding currency or price for custom avatars (i will pay an equivalent to the artist) but again, these are long term plans, for now we need a solution to the empty avatar shop.

Also there is an other issue, currently avatars are payed and considered the same, even if some are much more dificult to do as others, having an auction system for the best avatars will allow me to reward the artists better for the better avatars.

Your optinions are very usefull, and i dont want to argue lightsage, but we have to be realistic even if not all of you afford an avatar or bidding for a lvl2 one.

I wouldn't call it an argument mur, and my previous comment might have been a bit too sharp. Trough I don't think custom avatars would solve the problem for there is simply a shortage of artist capable of delivering art of sufficing quality to be implemented into the game. Right now there are 225 avatars and 2458 users logged in in the last 48 hours that would mean roughly one avatar for every 10 players, leaving 9 out of 10 players without one. As I understand that the game's progress is more important than player avatars, there are just not enough artists to do both. A non-ideal temporary solution will have to be made.

eh eh eh, i say it is good that not everyone has avatar, let me explain, when you are going to attack someone you click his name then if he has avatar you automatically look at it and while attacker (you) click on it to get further to the attack button it gives you additional time like 0,5-3 seconds (attacker needs to be really amazed by avatar to keep looking at it for whole 3 secs, thats way you need avatar that is a masterpiece of artwork ^^ or at least 0,5 secs to click it and get as fast as you can to attack button) and defender will escape, so after all, having avatar gives you less chance to get hit while walking around in MD world :)) from my point of view this is just TOOOOOO huge advantage since to me it is the worst thing that can happen, to get killed while moving, so if you have avatar and you are hunting someone less chance you can get hit by someone else and bigger chance that you will hit someone you are hunting if he doesnt have avatar