Do you want to auction for your avatar?

dst

Do you want to auction for your avatar?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='lightsage' post='17602' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:24 PM']yeah well... I have my ways but they're like bugs, not aloud to tell =p

PS yours is nr 123 dst =p[/quote]

I'm 208, the way I found out wasn't much of a bug though...

I have just been looking through all the avatars and there are couple of really good ones I have not even seen yet in the game or I have not seen for a long time. It seems that becouse of the current system they are lost for good or at least when the players decide to come back. Maybe there could be a way for people who stop playing to return their avatars to the MD Shop? That way there would be maximum use of the avatars there are.

Mine is 120 by the way, I started with 16 then went on to 56 and finally changed to 120 which I will keep for my character. So I have given $3 for avatars so far.

i had the hardest time finding somthing to make if not directly to a person.

Now i'm a little more free and i look around for active players. i ask what they'd like.
If you dont play...i dont see you...you can pick whatever u see in the shop if its availeble. But then there is the next point.

I dont know bout the other artists, but i usualy spend 20 min/character just figuring out how to represent what they like to play. I for one dont like the idea of a metal bunny carefully sculpted on a guy with the name "notexistingdude"...but then i have no choise in the matter.

-daily voting for months becouse u cant steal your parents credit card...and then the rich dude runs with it. Dang...what was all the voting for then?

-you can play MD completely free... and then there is this? power to the bling? i think its a negative step.

-personalized? hey, i'm all for it! ask and thou shalt receive...someone else ran with it? I'l do it again!
however, after spending an hour working the avatar out, i'd like the person in question a 24h chanse to go and get it. Dont have it after then? I supose its not such a big deal then...open to all

-lev 2 avatars auctioned...now there is that fine line between "i bough myself 15k of vitality" players and "i spent 3 months making omlets for vitality", the second one wil have way more satisfaction in what he buys, and therefore more funn out of it. I dont even think they should be in a shop...they should be rewards.

-another point i have not found yet: how long is the auctioning? 2 days? 2 weeks? until the next batch of avatars? 2 days can keep prices relatively low. But longer times wil have inactive credit card users just overbid u again and again.

-In most economy's rare stuf is high price...these cost the same as the rest. U'd like to see economy in the game? by all means go and auction! But i'd hate for this game to gain the feeling of being a second job...

...long story short, keep going as it is. Program deleted players to lose there avatar back to shop.
use wishpoints for personalized avatars. dont auction in fear of economy!
in most economy's rare stuf is high price...these cost the same as the rest. U'd like to see economy in the game, by all

PS: its 6am by now...drawing avatars, but forgive me if i'm a bit "direct" in this post.

• Root Admin

SoulTear, you say you spent 3$ on avatars so far ... well just that you know it costs me 3$ for each avatar in game and in general players buy it once so they spend 1$ for it ... well except of amorte that insists to work for free, but i will find a solution to that too ;)
There is no real gain financial for the game in buying avatars other than a quality gain because unique avatars make the game special and i simply love the ideea.
Having avatars expire could be a solution to free them, but i think it will ruin the "legend" part of a the game where a player writes history with his character and then someone else comes and takes his avatar because he was on vacation or away a longer period.
An other option i was thinking on was to have avatars just for subscription, that could be an effective financial solution but i still don;t know if its too moral.

For now i will go with 1$ avatars and simply try to cover the costs of additional avatars and push this as far as i can..for now.

Amorte, you say lvl2 avatrs should be rewards, thats a interesting point, but because the rewarding system is not yet objective and its up to some people and rpc's that decide that, i dont think its something to be done yet ..maybe with the new wishpoints system could work

The real big importance of an avatar is the influence it will have on a possible role, custom avatars, even if i dont allow that now, will be something very common after the artists team will be larger and there will be an better way to controll rewards. Ideal is that the avatar comes as an acomplishment of your role or as part of a quest, like this only dedicated and smart players would have one and not only the rich player.

however, for now, i have to think of recovering the money on the avatars so that i can ensure a constant flow of new ones, and also to find a way of keeping some avatars allways in mdshop. Imaginge new players that buy the avatar upgrade and then the see there is no avatar there, not today , not tomorow ..thats much worse than selling avatars at a higher price!

I am still waiting for the votes and your comments on this to decide what to do, so far my thoughts are to create lvl2 avatars auction based and lvl1 as usual, but as i can see in your reactions you wish for the avatars to remain as they are now, regardless of level..if so, so be it... i will wait more before taking any decision.

Sory if unapropriate, in your shoes I would do this:
1# Avatars are apearing 4 times a year. Announce one month before that in the days.... avatars are gonna be sold in auction.
2# Have a big (maybe 200) number of avatars at that date. (For a player is important to have many choices!)
3# Sell at auction those claimed by many players
4# Sell by 1$ those remaining.

5# See if you're closer to profit

Mur, your point about avatar cost just makes me think that my earlier idea was a good one.
If it costs you 3$ for each avatar, why not pass the cost to those of us who want something specific?
keep the generic avatars as they are, but allow us to ask for specific avatars, make those avatars ours without having to be lucky enough to be online when they are uploaded, and let us pay the 3$.
I'd gladly pay that amount for an avatar that was created for my role.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Tremir' post='18114' date='Oct 9 2008, 01:54 AM']Mur, your point about avatar cost just makes me think that my earlier idea was a good one.
If it costs you 3$ for each avatar, why not pass the cost to those of us who want something specific?
keep the generic avatars as they are, but allow us to ask for specific avatars, make those avatars ours without having to be lucky enough to be online when they are uploaded, and let us pay the 3$.
I'd gladly pay that amount for an avatar that was created for my role.[/quote]

I have to agree with Tremir... :drinks:

Also I have opted to take only credits not cash so there is no real loss to the game financially. And it takes me on average about 2 hrs./avatar, some much, much longer. having 2 hrs to myself is not always easy. So I work on them when I have the time. Also, if you are having to wait for an avatar, be patient, it takes some time and my list is very long.

20 mins. Amorte...Wow...sometimes it takes me weeks to get the design right...you are too talented. stop it at once. :rofl:

There are other possible systems that can incorporate many of the great ideas posted here. leave the level 1 avatars as they are, first come first served only with an age requirement of say 100 days, and- if and when the player has been offline for more than 6 months, then retire that player and reset the avatar.

make lvl 2 avatars a higher price; they are lvl 2 because they are better than average, so pay 2 credits for it and set an age of 180 days. Make another lvl. "Custom Level" and charge 3 credits, no age requirement. Have the design contracted, directly with the artist you want, and when it is done then it is placed in the custom gallery under that players name.
I would suggest that no other programming be needed here. We can use the honor system...When it shows the players name for which it was created then only that person (who also payed 2 credits for it in advance) can buy it for the remaining 1 credit. If some one takes anothers Custom...then they will lose it and the credit they spent.

As for colored avatars this should also remain as it currently is...a reward for some at Manu's discretion and a 10 credit purchase for the fat cats among us. -_-

The pics are just for fun. :yahoo:

BlackThorn

• 7 months later...
  • Root Admin

[quote name='Death Bell' post='34788' date='Jun 25 2009, 02:33 PM']like some1 said if its possible to pre order our avatars with extra cost like $2 extra or sumthing will be nice.[/quote]

No, This isnt going to happen since Mur said he wouldnt allow this.

you can request avatars but not buy ones early