What Are You Reading?

MRHoly One

The Secret Teachings of All Ages

- probably the most important book ive ever bought. if you like dan brown's, this one is the real deal.
[img]http://www.manlyphall.org/wp-content/uploads/manlyphall-org_secret-teaching-of-all-ages.jpg[/img]

wow, Magnus X, I have this book too..i hadn't read it yet, but the person who gave it to me said that it's interesting and i should read it.

And you tell about it here, so it must be interesting...

[quote name='Allyce' date='11 August 2010 - 06:36 PM' timestamp='1281512186' post='65724']
wow, Magnus X, I have this book too..i hadn't read it yet, but the person who gave it to me said that it's interesting and i should read it.

And you tell about it here, so it must be interesting...
[/quote]

must be a sign from the gods Allyce ;) go pick it up and savour life's mysteries! ........;)

-first 3 Foundation books were great and only read the first of the Dune books, also amazing. my top 4 sci-fi books. Ender's Game is up there though, maybe rounds out the top 5.

-Zelda, Ocarina of Time...just had to beat the water temple for my niece a couple o' weeks ago, and i forgot how much that part sucked. worse when your dropped in the middle of what she was already doing...like 15 years after i beat it. some friends just bought me the one with the train on DS.

-Dan Brown, i knew a chick in college who said she went to Exeter when Brown taught there...kinda crazy...never read his stuff though. Tom Hanks' ridiculous haircut in the first movie + rampant fanboys yelling you gotta read this + desire to be cool by not being trendy = well, not reading anything by him. yeah, i'm a jerk.

also, i haven't read a book for like 3 months...i can feel my brain atrophying.

[quote]-Dan Brown, i knew a chick in college who said she went to Exeter when Brown taught there...kinda crazy...never read his stuff though. Tom Hanks' ridiculous haircut in the first movie + rampant fanboys yelling you gotta read this + desire to be cool by not being trendy = well, not reading anything by him. yeah, i'm a jerk.[/quote]
Whilst i'm not a huge advocate of the book, the fact they put an american actor who cant do an english accent right, in the role of an Englishman completly ruined the movie for me, the book is a lot better than the film considering you can imagine a better english accent, though it is a bit twist and turny with the random stuff he makes up and pretends to be true ;)

[quote name='Tarquinus' date='10 May 2009 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1241987933' post='30773']
Recently read: [i]Latro in the Mist[/i] and [i]Soldier of Sidon[/i] by Gene Wolfe. Highly recommended for fans of historical fiction and Hellenic myth!

A selection of my must-reads:
[list][*] [i]I, Claudius[/i], Robert Graves. Funny, learned, and fascinating.[*] [i]The Book of the New Sun[/i], Gene Wolfe. Difficult and demanding; possibly the best work of sci-fi/Fantasy I have ever read. Sent me to the dictionary hundreds of times.[*] [i]The Chronicles of Amber[/i], Roger Zelazny. Fun, fun, fun.[*] [i]The Sandman[/i], Neil Gaiman. Graphic novel (comic) format - Gaiman, an excellent writer, has yet to equal the writing he did here.[*] The Aubrey-and-Maturin books, beginning with [i]Master and Commander[/i], Patrick O'Brian. This is literature masquerading as adventure stories, or vice versa. Superb. Can be read on any level, from surface to very deep. I read them with three dictionaries (English, French, and Latin) close at hand, though it is not necessary to to understand every word or get every joke to enjoy the hell out of this series.[*] [i]A Voyage to Arcturus[/i], David Lindsay. Strange and portentous; Gnostic mythology presented as Science Fiction. Impossible to read without going a little mad.[*] [i]The Gods of Pegana[/i], Lord Dunsany. Fans of Dunsany will also like [i]The Charwoman's Shadow[/i].[*] [i]Eaters of the Dead[/i], Michael Crichton. Inspiration for the film [i]The Thirteenth Warrior[/i]; [i]Beowulf[/i] as you likely have not encountered it before.[*] Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, especially [i]Tigana[/i], [i]A Song for Arbonne[/i], [i]The Lions of Al-Rassan[/i], [i]The Sarantine Mosaic[/i], and [i]The Last Light of the Sun[/i]. Kay gets better as he goes, but [i]Tigana[/i] is absolutely marvelous.[/list]

I can echo other recommendations I've seen on this thread.

The [i]Dune[/i] books are quite good, though I would avoid the follow-up series by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

If you don't like Harry Potter, you may not know how to have fun.

If you think Tolkien is the grandmaster and R.A. Salvatore is any good at all, check out G.G. Kay, Lord Dunsany, and Roger Zelazny.
[/quote]

[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Little late on this, but - I completely agree with the 'demanding' part of Gene Wolfe. That series is incredible. I couldn't get through Latro in the Mist, though. I'll have to check out some of the other books on your list![/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Shadowseeker' timestamp='1281043049' post='65190']
You need...a walkthrough for zelda game? Shame.

Something I haven't seen yet..I don't think anyone will mention either, because I think it is a german book.

Maerchenmond. By Hohlbein.

I could list quite a few more, but I admit the Askir series got me hooked right now, by Richard Schwartz.
[/quote]

Well, I went half way through the game without the walk through, but got to the point to where I was tired of missing out on the skulltulas and various other hidden goodies. So, walk through it is!

Reading currently: Sacred Places by Sarah Ann Osmen.
Surprisingly it's actually an interesting read, if you happen to care about strange religious practices, taboo things, and sacred religious sites in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Abbey" by Dan Dobos - I had recommended this previously to Romanian-speaking sci-fi fans, and today i found out it was translated to English and available on Amazon for 9$ the kindle version and 12$ the paperback. If you like your sci-fi dealing heads-on with religion, ethics, cloning and first contact, you'll seriously love this.

http://www.amazon.com/Abbey-Dan-Dobos/dp/0982432984 - you can also read the first chapter for free online here (on the right side, where it says kindle edition - read first chapter free)

This is definitely in my top 5 sci-fi series (it's a trilogy) of all times, along with Dune, Ender's Game and Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth saga (Misspent Youth, Pandora Rising, Judas Unchained, and The Void trilogy - the last part of which, "The Evolutionary Void" I just downloaded yesterday :P)

I would say the 5th in the top 5, and probably the one that got me to start reading sci-fi when i was a kid, would be A.E. Van Vogt's "The world of Null-A" (i.e. non-Aristotelian logic), which is also a trilogy which I just found out was expanded on by John C. Wright (the bugger that wrote Orphans of Chaos, another pretty cool trilogy :D) - this one's a mixed bag, it has been called by some "one of the worst allegedly-adult science fiction stories ever published" and highly praised/defended by Philip K. Dick, but I suggest you at least read the first novel and pull the wool over your own eyes :P

Edited by Totenkopf