What Are You Reading?

MRHoly One

Book wise!

What are you reading now? Whats it about?

What have you read in the past that you consider a MUST READ!!

Im ALWAYS looking for new books to pick up and am interested in what you all read.

Thanks
MRHO

Edited by The Holy One

Yay! One of my favorite activities: reading :P.

Hmm..what am I reading? Right now I have a 1kilo book in my backpack with SCI-FI stories.
I love SCI-FI so normally I am a big fan of Dune(with prequels and sequels and stuff). And Ender's Game (with all it's sequels).

Also if you want a good laugh (but have the stomach for it cause at some point they get nasty) you can try something I enjoyed some years ago: some war novels written by a guy named Sven Hassel.

*looks at dune in his hand*me and dst read some of the same scary

oh and I read:star wars, star trek(not as much as I used to)R.A salvatore, some forgotten realms and other fantasy and a rather long list of manga

Edited by stormrunner

Roadwork - Stephen King, unfortunately in german, i'd have liked that one in english i guess... lots of nice swearwords *laughs*

my must-haves:

anything by Stephen King, especially Dark Tower-Cycle [changed my life, really] and The Stand
The Neverending Story - Michael Ende
Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
Perfume - Patrick Süskind
Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse
Sherlock Holmes - A.C. Doyle
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling [i was young enough back then when i started reading them, and the ends of 5, 6 and 7 still make me cry (if you want to know, i never shed a tear for Chedric =P)]
Enwor - Wolfgang Hohlbein, if you like fantasy and bloodshed, that might suit you, it's usually compared with Dune... well, you can't win against Dune, but it's close =)

uhm... i guess i could find some more, but my library is at home and i'm at college right now, so i can't check my favorites... those are just a few that jumped to my mind^^

Edited by Burns

God! I forgot about Perfume. I read it few months back and it's amazing.
And I also read all Harry Potter books :P
I have seen the movie for Never Ending Story. I need to find the book now :P

steppenwolf, perfume and dune would have had a place on my list too :P

ok, since there are so many great ones i'll just pick a few jewels from multiple genres:
hitchhikers guide to galaxy - d. adams
small gods; good omens - t. pratchett
the unbearable lightness of being - m. kundera
the old man and the sea - e. hemmingway
faust I - j.w. goethe
to complete the hesse must-read: siddhartha and narziß und goldmund (and if you like his style peter camenzind)
the lies of locke lamora - s. lynch (nothing world changing, just very well-written rogue themed fantasy)

[edit: @ burns: whats your opinion on the magical theater, the last part of der steppenwolf? many friends who read it loved the traktat des steppenwolf, but disliked the magical theater. i loved them both]

[edit 2: @ tarquinus: good omens is actually a co-work of gaiman and pratchett. if you like gaiman and could become friends with pratchetts style you might very well enjoy this one.]

Edited by Nex

Go and search John Steinbeck's "Sweet thursday". It can cure depression. I still try to adopt that easy-going-life-style. Any of his books worth reading.

Wow I love this topic, found allready 2 new-to-me boks!

Thank you!

Edited by GgSeverin

Recently read: [i]Latro in the Mist[/i] and [i]Soldier of Sidon[/i] by Gene Wolfe. Highly recommended for fans of historical fiction and Hellenic myth!

A selection of my must-reads:
[list]
[*] [i]I, Claudius[/i], Robert Graves. Funny, learned, and fascinating.
[*] [i]The Book of the New Sun[/i], Gene Wolfe. Difficult and demanding; possibly the best work of sci-fi/Fantasy I have ever read. Sent me to the dictionary hundreds of times.
[*] [i]The Chronicles of Amber[/i], Roger Zelazny. Fun, fun, fun.
[*] [i]The Sandman[/i], Neil Gaiman. Graphic novel (comic) format - Gaiman, an excellent writer, has yet to equal the writing he did here.
[*] The Aubrey-and-Maturin books, beginning with [i]Master and Commander[/i], Patrick O'Brian. This is literature masquerading as adventure stories, or vice versa. Superb. Can be read on any level, from surface to very deep. I read them with three dictionaries (English, French, and Latin) close at hand, though it is not necessary to to understand every word or get every joke to enjoy the hell out of this series.
[*] [i]A Voyage to Arcturus[/i], David Lindsay. Strange and portentous; Gnostic mythology presented as Science Fiction. Impossible to read without going a little mad.
[*] [i]The Gods of Pegana[/i], Lord Dunsany. Fans of Dunsany will also like [i]The Charwoman's Shadow[/i].
[*] [i]Eaters of the Dead[/i], Michael Crichton. Inspiration for the film [i]The Thirteenth Warrior[/i]; [i]Beowulf[/i] as you likely have not encountered it before.
[*] Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, especially [i]Tigana[/i], [i]A Song for Arbonne[/i], [i]The Lions of Al-Rassan[/i], [i]The Sarantine Mosaic[/i], and [i]The Last Light of the Sun[/i]. Kay gets better as he goes, but [i]Tigana[/i] is absolutely marvelous.
[/list]

I can echo other recommendations I've seen on this thread.

The [i]Dune[/i] books are quite good, though I would avoid the follow-up series by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

If you don't like Harry Potter, you may not know how to have fun.

If you think Tolkien is the grandmaster and R.A. Salvatore is any good at all, check out G.G. Kay, Lord Dunsany, and Roger Zelazny.

Edited by Tarquinus

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' post='30774' date='May 10 2009, 03:45 PM']George Martin is the greatest writer of epic fantasy, in my opinion...

check out "A Song of Ice and Fire" & "Hedge Knight"[/quote]
My wife loves Martin, but I refuse to touch [i]Song of Ice and Fire[/i] until the S.O.B. finishes it. :P

Hmmm...I need to make a list and then a trip to the book store. And the money I was planning to spend on buying nice high heels sandals will go on books! Hate you!

And I just remembered: Shogun. I devoured that book. I was in highschool and instead of paying attention to the classes I was keeping the book on my knees and reading.

Right now I'm waiting on George R. R. Martin's next book to come out in the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" I must say they are really great reads.

Another great fantasy series that I've read would probably be Sword of Truth Series and Wheel of Time series.

- Gauge

only scanned this thread, cos well it's late, or early depending on perspective

i've always bee too scared to read The Neverending Story, you can guess why :P

hmm, favourite books

I agree, Hitchikers Guide is a must

Lord Of The Rings, you have to survive the whole ''Gimli son of Gloin'' stuff on every single page to understand the beauty of the book though :P

ooh, anything by Garth Nix, awesome name and actually his birth name, it's fantasy magicy stuff, not entirely sure how to categorise books though. i particularly like the ''Sabriel'' trilogy by him

Noughts an Crosses i'm reading the forth book (latest) currently, google it to find out more :D

what else...oh yes, Neil Gaiman, ''American Gods'' i've actually read but the others look good as well, it's about the old norse Gods in a sort of battle against the modern Gods of Television and Money and such, quite fun. you might have heard of the film ''Stardust'' that's from a book he wrote by the same name.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head

I've been delving into short stories mostly; most novels that I find just don't hold my interest for some reason. Short stories though...I effin' love. Lately it's been a Steampunk Anthology i keep picking up, and a few anthologies by Stephen R. Donaldson (The Thomas Covenant Chronicles if you're familiar)

The last novel I read was The Stand, great read if you've yet to check it out. Also, if you like Gaiman you should check out his graphic Novel series, The Sandman. It's -at least- as good as American Gods.

lets see... a long list, so I'll just cut down to the authors, and their styles.

John Ringo: Military SiFi, Science fiction with the real Science in it, Military.

This guy is one of the best writers in my opinion, where it goes into the [i]Legacy of the Aldeetna[/i] series where earth is invaded,

[i]Paladin Among Shadows[/i] series is the books that follow a certain Navy Seal on his... Unusurall trips ranging from America, to Eastern Europe.

and the [i]Vorpal Blade[/i] series is the book he writes with Travis S. Taylor, a scientist that helps john with making the mook as real as possible.

[i]Star Wars: Darth Bane, Path of Distruction[/i] is a Star Wars book that comes before the movies come, (I.E if you played Knights of the Old Republic you'll understand better) And if you have such a brilliant imagionation, you can enter Bane's world and see evil, feel evil, and so on. (this can help you darker RPing folks out quite a bit)

The Poems by Edgar Allen Poe, I'm a fan of, jeeze, I have so~ many books to talk about... and yet... never enough time... :D

I'll look into your guys books at tital wave sometime.

[quote name='Grido' post='30789' date='May 11 2009, 12:29 AM']ooh, anything by Garth Nix, awesome name and actually his birth name, it's fantasy magicy stuff, not entirely sure how to categorise books though. i particularly like the ''Sabriel'' trilogy by him[/quote]

The triologie is actually called the old kingdom (and yeah, it's brilliant) and Shade's children is another really good book by him.

Then we have
Cherub series - Robert Muchamore
Bartimeaus triologie - Jonathan Straud

There's more good books out there but those are the series I actually read cover to cover

Hmm, lots of science fiction mentioned, I haven't ever developed a taste for the genre.

Right now I am reading:

[u]The God of Small Things [/u]by Arundhati Roy, about a family in India in the 1960's

[u]A Natural History of the Senses [/u]by Diane Ackerman, in-depth study the cuture and associations with the senses. Amazing.

[u]Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers[/u] by Mary Roach, just like the title says...what happens to cadavers...the research done with them, from the Body Farm to making diamonds out of loved ones. Really incredible writer, she makes dead people funny, but always in a respectful manner.

I flip through [u]The Complete Stories of Dorothy Parker [/u]often and am about to start [u]Caligula for President[/u] by Cintra Wilson.

Plus various dry, boring textbooks for school. [u]The Cultural Origins of Human Cognition [/u]was fairly interesting but [u]Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques [/u]and [u]The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law[/u] are really good for putting me to sleep.

I could talk about books all day long!

[quote name='dst' post='30776' date='May 10 2009, 04:48 PM']And the money I was planning to spend on buying nice high heels sandals will go on books! Hate you![/quote]

Nooooo, Dusty....books are great, but only high heeled sandals need love too!

@pamplemousse
If you read those PR books 4 school keep close Marshall Mc'Luhan and Noam Chomsky(the linguistic related topics) . Do not let you teachers notice that you read them ...

Edited by GgSeverin

noam chomsky. media. -> manufacturing consent :unsure:
(i'm aware that one could critisize this work for being influenced by political attitude to a degree which is considered undue for a scientist. even so, its well worth to read)

Edited by Nex

Books!!!*wide smile*
First of all, I read a lot of books that have been said here(it seems like MD players have a lot in common)
Second, I am with all kind of genres. I just love reading :)

So I recently read “The Diamond of Drury Lane” by Julia Golding. It's :good:

And my favorite was “ FoxFire: Confessions of a Girl Gang” by Joyce Carol Oates. :unsure:

I also enjoyed The Wardstone Chronicles by Joseph Delaney and “The Wheel of time” by James Oliver Rigney Jr. a.k.a Robert Jordan :)

And I could go on with books, but I don’t have the time… :)

[quote name='Lady Renata' post='30870' date='May 12 2009, 06:57 AM']Books

I also enjoyed The Wardstone Chronicles by Joseph Delaney and “The Wheel of time” by James Oliver Rigney Jr. a.k.a Robert Jordan :P[/quote]

I hear that Jordans wife has selected another author to finish The Wheel Of Time since Jordan passed.

Has anyone heard this as well and do you know who it is?

[quote name='The Holy One' post='31166' date='May 15 2009, 05:38 PM']I hear that Jordans wife has selected another author to finish The Wheel Of Time since Jordan passed.

Has anyone heard this as well and do you know who it is?[/quote]

Hmmm..I heard of this,but I don't know who the new one is.Also can't find anything new about it :P