What Are You Reading?

MRHoly One

The Trial - Franz Kafka

Not everything I read is that depressing though. I really like the discworld novels by Terry Pratchett and the hitchhiker's guide series by DNA, which like any good trilogy consists of five parts.

finally back at home, with my library^^

some more _really_ good reads:

Tolkien : The Hobbit
John Dickie: Cosa Nostra (Documentation AND novel, one of the best things i've ever laid my eyes on... but not for suitable for everybody, if you don't like the Mafia, you won't like that book, either)
Declan Hughes : The Colour of Blood (Ed Loy is the hardest of all hardboiled PIs ;-))
Wolfgang Hohlbein: War of the Angels (Good vs. Bad on highest level)
Sergej Lukianenko: Watch (Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch, Last Watch)
Stephenie Meyer: Twilight, all parts^^

I am mostly a Stephen King and Dan Brown reader. Recently a few people I know are trying to feed me with the Dune books, which I actually enjoy VERY much.

[quote name='Lady Renata' post='31167' date='May 16 2009, 01:43 AM']Hmmm..I heard of this,but I don't know who the new one is.Also can't find anything new about it :P[/quote]

Brandon Sanderson, author of the Mistborn series, was asked to finish the last book of the Wheel of Time. (dunno how good he is tho, never read any of his work)

Anyhow, I posted just so [b]The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson[/b] [needless to say, my fave fantasy book of all time] be seen and hopefully be read by those interested. :)

[b]God's Debris[/b]
[i] ~A Thought Experiment~[/i]
By: Douglas Adams
[b]
Tuesdays with Morrie [/b]
[i]~An old man a young man and life's greatest lesson~ [/i]
By: Mitch Albom

[b]Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse[/b]
By: Robert Rankin
(Actually all Rankin is good - Firsan reminds me of the characters from his Brentford Trilogy :P)

[b]Radical Nature [/b]
By: Christian De Quincy

[b]The Tao of Pooh [/b]
By: Benjamin Hoff

[b]Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance[/b]
By: Robert M Pirsig

edit - nearly forgot: The Preacher comics, The Crow comic and Vampire Hunter D series of books.

Edited by (Zl-eye-f)-nea

how could i forget about Mitch Albom :P

Tuesdays With Morrie
The Five People You Meet In Heaven
For One More Day - have this book somewhere but haven't read yet, sure it'll be good though :)

I don't know what to say,but Twilight it's really goood XD
I'm one of those who enjoy vampire love stories :P XD
And Twilight was really good,tho most of the guys hated the movie and the books but you heard about 90% of the girls talking about it...XD
Edward Cullen!!AA!! :lol:

And read the first 12 chapters of the 5th book which barely appeared on fan forums :)

[quote name='Sage' post='31259' date='May 16 2009, 07:24 PM']No please... Don't start also!!

*hates girls around him saying edward is sexy*

XD[/quote]

But..but..but he is! :lol:
Kidding!!! xD

I really don't see what those girls see at him.I never thought he was that handsome.Am I strange? :blink:

[quote name='Lady Renata' post='31260' date='May 16 2009, 08:33 PM']But..but..but he is! :lol:
Kidding!!! xD

I really don't see what those girls see at him.I never thought he was that handsome.Am I strange? :blink:[/quote]

You are not strange, you're just Not Annoying! xD

I don't know the English tittles but these are some of the books I read and enjoyed:

[b]El Druida del Cesar[/b] by Claude Cueni.
[b]Los Reyes Malditos: El Rey de Hierro[/b], by Maurice Druon
[b]El hombre que hablaba de Octavia de Cádiz[/b] by Bryce Echeñique
[b]Cien años de soledad[/b] by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
[b]La vida es sueño [/b]by Pedro Calderón de la Barca
[b]Noches blancas[/b] by Fiódor Dostoievski

As a teenager I enjoyed reading Science Fiction's authors like Robert Silverberg, Clifford D. Simak, Brian Aldiss, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, L. Sprague de Camp, Arthur Conan Doyle, Franz Kafka. (No one of my age did so I was a bit "Science Fiction nerdy" kind of girl)

K

Edited by Kriskah Arcanu

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Sage' post='31259' date='May 17 2009, 01:54 AM']No please... Don't start also!!

*hates girls around him saying edward is sexy*

XD[/quote]

i know why he says that!

BUT EDWARD ISH SHO AWESHOME!

*drools*

doesnt anyone read sidney sheldon? And ayn rand?
And jeff archer?

i would suggest a few books-

1. Master of the game- sidney sheldon

2- If tomorow comes- sidney sheldon

3- Tell me your dreams- sidney sheldon

4-Mutation- robin cook

5. Invasion - robin cook

6. Fountainhead -Ayn rand

7. We the living -Ayn rand

8. The kite runner- khaled housseini

9. Not a penny more, Not a penny less- jeff archer

10. Kane and abel -jeff archer

11. Prisoner of the key- jeff archer

12. Any short stories written by jeff archer

13. LOTR

14. The inheritance series- chris paolini

15. Brida - paulo coehlo.

these are some of the best books i have read till date.

Talking of strange coincidences: I read some posts here about Wheel of Time. Few weeks ago I go visit my parents and I look at what my mother was currently reading: surprise surprise! First book of WoT (and even strange is that we bough the books together -meaning I was with her in the library- but I never paid attention to what she actually bought (no idea why..) :D

And now I read WoT (don't remember the name of the first book and I am too lazy to go look) :P

i'm really into experimental litrature lately, mostly constrained writing in the tradition of l'ouvroir de littérature potentielle. some pieces i can really recommend:

[b]cadaeic cadenza[/b] by mike keith.

"Cadaeic Cadenza is a short story of about 4000 words composed in Standard Pilish, in which the length (in letters) of successive words in the story "spells out" the digits of the number π (Pi) - in this case, the first 3835 digits"

it starts with a version of poes "the raven", rewritten in pilish. brilliant :) also, the story itself plays nicely with its constraint.

[b]la disparition[/b] by georges perec (english: a void, translated by gilbert adair)

it's a lipogrammatic novel, written completely without using the letter "e".
not only a remarkable example of constrained writing, but also a great story itself :) and again, really witty play with its constraint. oh, did i mention the english translation also contains a very atmospheric version of "the raven"? :(

Edited by Nex

MUST READ:

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Sort of a Sci-fi book. About a retarded man named Charlie. Read it!

*looks down to see dst* Awww thats disappointing. Such a good book

Edited by adiomino

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' post='34031' date='Jun 19 2009, 05:24 PM']The Time Traveler's Wife[/quote]

My wife loved that one.

Currently I'm reading D-Day by Steven(Sp?) Ambrose. I just finished Pegasus Bridge by the same author and I loved "Band of Brothers" also by Ambrose.

Best books ever... Lord of the Rings by Tolkien.

Others that are highly enjoyabled:

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, the book that made me change my mind about Architecture as a career.

Dragonlance Chronicles by Weis and Hickman

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

The Everlasting Man by G. K. Chesterton

1984 by George Orwell

Architecture: Form, Space and Order by Francis D. K. Ching

1001 Nights

There are others, but I'd have to think of them. Enjoy.