What Are You Reading?

MRHoly One

[quote name='GlorDamar' post='34044' date='Jun 20 2009, 02:47 PM']The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, the book that made me change my mind about Architecture as a career.[/quote]

i kinda thought you must have.. Your charecter did in some ways remind me of roark. He is so awesome.. I could write an essay on him and yes ellsworth toohey. Read atlas shrugged? And anthem? You might like them coz you liked fountainhead..

As for stephen hawkings.. He is a one man army when it comes to brain. That man is not human!

• 4 months later...

I had to resurrect this topic. I just finished a trilogy which was absolutely amazing! Try them!

The author:Stieg Larsson
And the books:

* "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"
* "The Girl Who Played With Fire"
* "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest"

I love this topic.

Right now I am reading:

[i][b]The Unbearable Lightness of Being[/b][/i] by Milan Kundera
[i][b]War Paint[/b][/i] by Lindy Woodhead
[i][b]Kundalini: Evolutionary Energy in Man[/b][/i] by Gopi Krishna
[i][b]My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead[/b][/i] edited by Jeffery Eugenides

And a zillion boring school text books too.

wow, a lot of my favourites have been covered here (Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Douglas Adams, Milan Kundera, Garcia Marquez, George Orwell, Dune series - right now i'm reading the prequels -, Ender series etc.)
I'll add a few random must-reads from my latest reads:
Haruki Murakami - Kafka on the shore, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle
John Niven - Kill your friends
Milan Kundera - Immortality
Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea - The Illuminatus! Trilogy (and anything else by RAW)
Alex Boese - Elephants on Acid
SF:
Peter F. Hamilton - Pandora's Star, Judas Unchained, The Void trilogy
Dan Dobos - Abatia trilogy (Romanian, for Dune fans)

Edited by Totenkopf

I'm always in the middle of way too many books.

The Science of God - Gerald Schroeder
The Limitations of Scientific Truth - Nigel Brush
House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
The Magician's Nephew - C.S. Lewis
The Best Poems of the English Language - Harold Bloom

Roger Zelazny - Amber ( 10 books)
Lois McMaster Bujold - The Curse of Chalion
- Paladin of Souls
- The Hallowed Hunt
Brandon Snaderson - Elantris
R.Scott Bakker - The Prince of Nothing - * The Darkness That Comes Before
* The Warrior-Prophet
* The Thousandfold Thought
Howard V. Hendrix - The Labyrinth Key

• 3 months later...

I just finished [i]The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay[/i] by Michael Chabon and I highly recommend it. It took me a while to finally begin it, and a while to actually finish it too, but it is so worth it.

I didn't think a book about comics, Nazis, golems and Houdini could be so deeply moving! It also won a Pulitzer, for those of you that are in to accolades.

Finally found time to read Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown to see what the fuss was about back then when it came out. Actualy I expected more out of it, but wasnt bad either. Now I want to get hands on Digital Fortress. Not so long ago I was consumed by Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

Other than that, Sherlock Holmes of A.C. Doyle , love everything of Edgar Alan Poe, Tolkiens Lord of the rings (before the movies came out), Harry Potter is a fun to read [i](altrough I was completely blocking it in times where people were frenzy about it)[/i], Agatha Cristie works are nice to pass time with, read some of Star Wars and so on and on with a dozen of things from my country.

Edited by LadyDawn

[quote name='pamplemousse' date='11 March 2010 - 11:16 AM' timestamp='1268327763' post='56226']
I just finished [i]The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay[/i] by Michael Chabon and I highly recommend it. It took me a while to finally begin it, and a while to actually finish it too, but it is so worth it.

I didn't think a book about comics, Nazis, golems and Houdini could be so deeply moving! It also won a Pulitzer, for those of you that are in to accolades.
[/quote]

Interesting... I hope i can find it here in Mexico

I just finished World Without End by Ken Follet, awesome, couldnt stop reading same with The Pillars of the Earth.

Edited by Kriskah Arcanu

after an hour of going through my library, I found an ancient paperback book labeled 'Dante's Inferno'

Quite an interesting book. provides translations, meanings to ancient Latin, various phrases that would not normally be recognized unless you have read many Renaissance books and/or have an additional book on old-style English.

three other books I found, dating back to the 1920s. with old embossed leather coverings in hardback.
one is labeled [i]'women of America'[/i], a history book giving details and stories of patriotic, shapers of America's past.

[i]'Elle's history of United States'[/i] volume 1 (number faded away, but it covers prior independence day.)

and a old illustrated [i]'museum of antiquates'[/i] book. all coming from around the same time period of production, give or take a few years.

and a bunch of Spider Robinson books, for all those wonderful puns that I love.

huh quite a few Alaskan history books, a bunch of Robert Heinlein books, Redwall series, star wars books, and an 1/8 of the library has Baen labels, and an original Times Magazine from the 1950s covering WWII, and of course...

harry potter books, Narnia books, and a dictionary.

alot of the more older si-fi books are too high for me to reach

[color="#8B0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"]I just finishes a book called "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton

Now I'm reading the 4th graphic novel in the Vampire Hunter D series. I read the books, too.[/font][/color]

[i]A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court[/i] by Mark Twain.

Good book I read around a decade ago; my favorite. Maybe I'll reread it someday.

[i]The Dark is Rising[/i] series by Susan Cooper.

[i]Artemis Fowl[/i] series by Eoin Colfer.

I haven't read a good book in a long while; these all I read many years ago.

Edited by apophys

• 3 weeks later...

Reading:
1. Harrison's Principles of internal medicine Vol. 1 and Vol. 2.

2. Hutchison's manual of clinical medicine

3. Macleod's manual of clinical medicine.

4. Davidson's Textbook of Medicine.

Opinion: Please do not even think about reading them. -__-''' -grumbles-

Good ones on the other hand:
1. Jeffery Archer: The prodigal daughter

2. Edgar Allan Poe: Poetry and Short stories.

3. Austen: Pride and Prejudice

4. Robert Jordan: Shadow rising

5. Jeffrey Archer: Paths of Glory

The Hobbit - J.R.R Tolkien

Abarat - Clive Barker
http://diterlizzi.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/abarat1.jpg
^Love the cover of the one version of the book, the name is the same upside down.

Edited by Yoshi

Just picked up hardbound copies of Stephen Lawhead's "Dragon King Trilogy". I had read them in middle school and recently had a sudden revelation that I loved them and need to read them again. I'm three quarters of the way through the first book, "In the Hall of the Dragon King" and it's even more fantastic than I remembered.

Ever read "The Bartimaeus Trilogy" by: Jonathan Stroud
Books:
"The Amulet of Samarkand"
"The Golem's Eye"
"Ptolemy's Gate"

A large quantity of it derives from lore mixed with filler in information supplied by Jonathan Stroud. There is also a large quantity of comedy if you bother to read the subtext when its coming from Bartimeuses view.
Its been a while since I read it which (I did in high school). However for anybody that likes darker fantasy books its a must read.

[quote name='Kamisha' date='31 March 2010 - 06:12 PM' timestamp='1270051934' post='57252']
Ever read "The Bartimaeus Trilogy" by: Jonathan Stroud
Books:
"The Amulet of Samarkand"
"The Golem's Eye"
"Ptolemy's Gate"

A large quantity of it derives from lore mixed with filler in information supplied by Jonathan Stroud. There is also a large quantity of comedy if you bother to read the subtext when its coming from Bartimeuses view.
Its been a while since I read it which (I did in high school). However for anybody that likes darker fantasy books its a must read.
[/quote]

I did, all of them and even if they are a bit for the younger audience they are more than great!!!

OT: Lilith from the Cristoph Marzi - very strange stuff but good

Edited by Blackwoodforest

• 1 month later...