Clickable Objects Features

Udgard

Cutler, i've listed date functions in [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/5499-user-variables/page__view__findpost__p__47048"]this post[/url] there's one for year in there.

Principles would be a nice idea i think

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the things which can be done with the current set of clickable functions. There is almost no limit to what can be done. With that said there are a few things which would be nice if they could be added.

1) Test which principles someone using a clickable has.

2) Keep track of quest progress by having MDscript send a PM when a quest leg is completed.

3) Give and take items from within MDscript (mainly I am thinking about silver coins) to help implement a more robust MD economy. (But WP and other items would be nice as well)

4) Test Action Points in the user variables (as well be able to drain heat/AP/VP as conditions for some clickable events).

It would also be nice if inner spell documents were brought back as a way to reward some quests.

Cheers,

Cutler

PS Although this isn't exactly a clickable topic, The Achievements and Trophies seems to have stalled some time ago. It might be cool if there were a new Achievements or Trophy that had something to do with clickables.

1) I already said i liked :P

2) Would it not be possible to link quests to the post office, and get messages sent there? I could see potential exploits otherwise.

3) Really want this, be good for fully-automated quests

4) Soooo many abuses with that, even if i do want that, if you can drain, you can also increase, ans i can just imagine someone figuring out a way to do that

I'm in favour of all over Cutler's suggestions.

[quote name='cutler121']
2) Keep track of quest progress by having MDscript send a PM when a quest leg is completed.
[/quote]

A mail() function would be great, perhaps limit it so that it can only mail the scripter, rather than giving the ability to mail anyone.

[quote name='cutler121']
3) Give and take items from within MDscript (mainly I am thinking about silver coins) to help implement a more robust MD economy. (But WP and other items would be nice as well)
[/quote]

I brought this up a while ago for both item and creature transfers. I would love a function that can do it.
The question is how to prevent abuse, whether it is an intended abuse or not.

[quote name='Rendril' date='30 December 2009 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1262181159' post='51444']
I'm in favour of all over Cutler's suggestions.

A mail() function would be great, perhaps limit it so that it can only mail the scripter, rather than giving the ability to mail anyone.

I brought this up a while ago for both item and creature transfers. I would love a function that can do it.
The question is how to prevent abuse, whether it is an intended abuse or not.
[/quote]

Yeah the mail function would be fine even if it only could go to the script author. Actually now that I think about it, I could use the post office to mail messages to myself from within my MDscripted quests .... I hadn't thought of that :P
Of course that doesn't help anybody else do the same and this should be a simple built in function everybody can use.

I can think of a lot of quests and events where it would be appropriate to sacrifice some AP/VP/exploring pts/heat etc. I said drain since there could be ways to abuse adding these types of values. But I think with a little bit of care it should be possible to make a "drain" only way to do it.

A while back I was thinking about ways to link player stats into events but I couldn't think of a way to do that without totally making your stats available for all to see. That was one reason I settled on only testing principles. They are all capped so there is no real reason "size matters" and there are so many interesting quest / puzzle ideas which could be linked into your particular set of principles that this would open a whole new dimension of quests for MD. I really like the Willows shopkeeper quest and how it uses principles, and this type of quest idea could be made even more integrated into MD in some really cool ways.

Cheers,

Cutler

The new "auto-hide" on all scripts after two weeks makes it almost impossible to make any clickable features that are enduring. Some of the quests I have made (Puzzle arcade and astral plane) are ones which I had envisioned being a permanent part of MD.

There should be some way to make certain clickables "permanent".

Another issue with script upkeep is doing "daily maintenance". I have some routines which need to run once a day or so but I have running every time people use some of my clickables. A really useful edition would be a timed clickable option which could be set to run at a particular time. This would help reduce the complexity of some scripts as well as reduce the load on the MD servers for doing "upkeep".

Cutler

The same applies to many of my scripts, and clickables like the book of ancients, oak stories, hanging of mur etc.
Having the option of making a clickable permanent would defeat the purpose of the auto-hide, who can justify their script being permanant without it having to be judged by Mur?
I would rather have it auto-hide if the script's last use was 14 days ago, which in effect means nobody accessed in that time, of course "last use" needs to be more than merely viewing the clickable.

I think allowing a cron to be implemented for each script would cause too much of a load on the server and be easily abuseable but perhaps scripts can get a global cron (hourly, maybe daily run?) that we can schedule to.

[quote name='Rendril' date='07 January 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1262883661' post='52105']
The same applies to many of my scripts, and clickables like the book of ancients, oak stories, hanging of mur etc.
Having the option of making a clickable permanent would defeat the purpose of the auto-hide, who can justify their script being permanant without it having to be judged by Mur?
I would rather have it auto-hide if the script's last use was 14 days ago, which in effect means nobody accessed in that time, of course "last use" needs to be more than merely viewing the clickable.

I think allowing a cron to be implemented for each script would cause too much of a load on the server and be easily abuseable but perhaps scripts can get a global cron (hourly, maybe daily run?) that we can schedule to.
[/quote]

Yeah,

I was thinking that a single daily run would be sufficient for most any normal "upkeeping". If timed events could be set for short time periods that could be abused. Limiting it to once or twice a day (I was thinking also only one script per person) would allow all of the benefits this kind of script can have and not be exploitable.

If there were an "eternal" script, it would need to have a flag set by Mur which is for the most part never going to happen. Its just a shame that this made any kind of permanence in MD go away.

Cutler

that or you could have your computer set up to use imacros, and schedule it to run a script which would visit each page that needs to be edited, and press the save button, or you could also have it set up to visit a page with a script set up to do other things, you could set how often it would run, and it would solve those problems.... though i still think that a solution from mur would be the most effective.....

• 1 month later...

Can we do comments with more than one line? If, how so?

I just tried to make a clickie do something very tiny, without deleting the biggish codeworks already on it which i don't need currently, so i got meslef my php-manual, which told me to do big comment-blocks (to stop the unwanted codeworks from being executed) by using /*, which is unfortunately restricted language in MDS...
Is there another command for MDS? Or do will i just have to comment each line seperately with // and hope nothing breaks? >.<