Ranting about how MD is not RPG

dst

[quote]YOU PLAY? I have seen you maybe 3 or 4 times in the last months. Just logging in is not playing. There are several so called players that log in just to get their active days. Nothing much. And if you log in and sit in a deserted place "researching" is not playing either.[/quote]
Yes, I play. I may have been busy in real life lately, but when I log in, I do play. I login, and then I stick around. And while I often sit in deserted places, it is not by choice. Sure, I could easily go to the GoE, GGG, or the Marble Dale Park. But the quality of interaction in those locations is often lacking. Those who are not idle are busy with combat, and when they do talk, it involves elements of the metagame. Of course I, a roleplayer, am not always interested in such discussion. I am a serious fellow (Pamplemousse has kept a tally of the number of jokes I've told, because the first was so unexpected) and often very quiet, but I do interact when spoken to, or when discussion around me piques my interest. And I do sometimes take part in combat, but to me, it just isn't as fun as other things.

[quote]Yes, the all time:"we don't need a coded system cause we have our freedom". Then why is HC so popular? Why are the shop crits so wanted? Why is everybody at the GGG training all day? Why do even crits exist? You can do just fine without them.[/quote]
I don't believe I said that. I dislike freedom and godmodders as much as any other (which is one of the reason I spend my time in far off locales; godmodders tend to like audiences). As for the question, "Then why is HC so popular?" it is not because the combat system is so great, but because competitions are fun (especially if you are successful).

[quote]Is is THAT hard to understand that it's NOT a RPG? Or at least not the common RPC you are all used with?[/quote]
The point is that MagicDuel is an RPG. You're right that it is also more than that. You're upset with me and others with views like me, but the fact that we are here should tell you something. No, not that you are wrong, but that you are not right either.

Anyone else find it ironic that dst is being close a troll and the rest wants to flame really hard?

Anyway, I believe most people don't get this game as it is.
If one has to put it into a category, one that doesn't even really fit but is the closest one there, it would not be RPG.
It would be MMORPG.
Slight difference there.

In the sense that MMORPG has a single system, most of which eventually ends up in pvp.
pvp requires npc's, but interaction with others as well. As such, the RPG and grinding are set into [u]one system[/u]. But because people are put into pvp mode from the very start the result is that a lot immediately do something else, as the point and sense in duelling, even though it's called Magic frigging Duel, becomes slightly less plain.

The result is something quite extraordinary as the system of MMORPG's goal and interaction changes for MagicDuel. In the sense that one can choose to forgo the pvp and go for the Magic part of the game, whereas others simply keep grinding and go for the Duel of the game.
In the end however it is inevitable that grinders and rp'ers eventually come together again, primarily because people quit, others get bored and once you are bored or are at the top of your game, you get bored as well.
And once you are bored, you explore the other parts of the game. It's only natural.

So please.

Shut up.

That wasn't directed at anyone specific, ¬_¬, please don't ban me dst. ¬_¬
:D

:D It seems MB blew my plan away :D
I did a test: I chose a sensitive subject and I said almost all the bad things I could about it. I knew I will hit egos and I did. :)
You have no idea how much fun I had yesterday writing and then reading your replies. I was a troll and you all took the oportunity to releas your wrath :D.

I do this from time to time. I like to see what egos I can touch and in what way. I did it in the past and it helped me a lot. When they are provoked people get angry and speak their mind (rare case in MD if you ask me cause most of the players are hypocrites :)).

MB...:) thanks for blowing my cover as a nice lil' troll.

@Wofmister: you still have that warning :D

[quote name='Metal Bunny' date='10 November 2009 - 06:24 AM' timestamp='1257852244' post='47136']
Anyway, I believe most people don't get this game as it is.
If one has to put it into a category, one that doesn't even really fit but is the closest one there, it would not be RPG.
It would be MMORPG.
Slight difference there.

In the sense that MMORPG has a single system, most of which eventually ends up in pvp.
pvp requires npc's, but interaction with others as well. As such, the RPG and grinding are set into [u]one system[/u]. But because people are put into pvp mode from the very start the result is that a lot immediately do something else, as the point and sense in duelling, even though it's called Magic frigging Duel, becomes slightly less plain.

The result is something quite extraordinary as the system of MMORPG's goal and interaction changes for MagicDuel. In the sense that one can choose to forgo the pvp and go for the Magic part of the game, whereas others simply keep grinding and go for the Duel of the game.
In the end however it is inevitable that grinders and rp'ers eventually come together again, primarily because people quit, others get bored and once you are bored or are at the top of your game, you get bored as well.
And once you are bored, you explore the other parts of the game. It's only natural.

[/quote]

I agree with you MetalBunny, I think MD is not understood by most. I feel this is due in part too Mur's language and writing barriers and to how he envisioned and setup the game. It is too unique for the average gamer and not what they expect to find online.

Mur seems to have created and tried to run MD as a local gaming group leader (GM/DM) would run a game for his friends. Except MD is unique in that Mur obviously coded it and put it up online for hundreds or thousands to try and play it. It’s clear that he gave it the love, attention to detail and uniqueness that any good GM would do for his gaming group. There is nothing else on the net like MD the only thing close would be the forum clubs where players RP in a similar manner but in forums. But even then MD is more unique then those sites and games. MD’s style of role-playing is more like live action role-playing where players have to be directly involved in making the story evolve and it’s not based on stats and dice rolls. This is where I think most players misunderstand MD and how to roleplay in it. MD’s combat system is also unique but as you said MB players don’t have to fight in order to RP. Players could stay MP3 and RP just fine but then they would be limited in game area and never reach higher MP levels and get spells etc.

I think Mur did a great job with MD and tried at least to pull off something thousands of others have tried to do with forum clubs and failed. He created a world with the classic RP table top feel and attention but for hundreds and even thousands of players to join. But sadly I think most players see it as an MMO more than anything else and miss how it should be played. Mur could help in this area by doing a few things but right now he seems focused on playing with the combat system which even for role-players is nice to have and gives players something else to do that fits within the theme of MD. Although I think players should have access to magic a bit sooner, it is Magic Duel.

Anyway, I think most players miss the mark in figuring out what MD is and how it should be played which creates tension, misunderstands and turns players away. Looking at Mur’s half sober rants and the scattered forum and archive information bits, MD has a lot to offer. I think it needs to be repackaged in a manner that better communicates to players what it is and how it should be played. Maybe then it’d have more success and less people arguing and being frustrated or bored. Maybe….

[quote name='awiiya' date='09 November 2009 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1257795078' post='47096']
This is a very silly thing to be arguing about for this simple reason:

MD is different for all people, and some systems are better for some than they are for others. One person could say with absolute conviction that the combat system is better than the RP (dst) and another who views them more equally (kafuuka, I believe).

Which one is right? I would say that they are both right, just as every single person is right. Are those who say MD is an RPG right? Yes, although their wording implies something that I think they usually do not mean. MD is an RPG to those who play it like one, it is a FPS if you want to play it like that (though realistically, [color="#0000FF"][b]no one[/b][/color] does), and it is a place to log in and look at the same picture every day if that is what you so desire.
[/quote]

[quote name='Wolfmist' date='09 November 2009 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1257796331' post='47099']
MD is a picture. The observers are you, I and everyone else here. If they see blue and you see yellow, who cares? Don't crush someone's creativity or their way of enjoying the game. If anything, add to it or help them.
[/quote]

Since awiiya mentioned my name (even by mistake), I will reply also:

I see MD in a totally different way, I see MD as a park. I log in, I walk, I meet people, I do something bad (sometimes), I play mind games with my friends and then ... relaxed, I go to do my daily RL life.

So :) this is the most interesting game for me because I can play fights even without logging in (in my mind).

Also, as dst already said, good rituals are hard to find and best ones are always a spark away ;).

Anyway, see you ... maybe on the beaches of GG or on the deserted lands of Necrovion or even at a bbq at Bob or somewhere in Lore.

hmm, enough bla bla for today :P

[quote name='dst' date='10 November 2009 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1257859330' post='47140']
:P It seems MB blew my plan away ;)
I did a test: I chose a sensitive subject and I said almost all the bad things I could about it. I knew I will hit egos and I did. :)
You have no idea how much fun I had yesterday writing and then reading your replies. I was a troll and you all took the oportunity to releas your wrath :)). [/quote]
I fail to see much wrath has been released, I think only two persons used anything remotely similar to swearing and one of them was you.
It is also hard for you to play the troll, because I assume you will actually read my arguments and try to find a loophole, while trolls only shout. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered answering.