Ranting about how MD is not RPG

dst

[quote name='I am Bored' date='09 November 2009 - 01:52 AM' timestamp='1257724376' post='47018']
the game is about role playing, not stat grinding[/quote]

Cut the cr**! If i read one more time about how MD is a RPG and not a PVP I will delete the entry instantly! Is is THAT hard to understand that it's NOT a RPG? Or at least not the common RPC you are all used with? Hey! I might even call it a FPS! After all i chase players all over MD to get a decent amount of xp these days! Shish...Who are the most known players? I will tell you: the grinders. Except Z and Tarq nobody from the so called "good RPers" are as known as the grinders. And they are know because they were also RPCs. Sorry but as I already said a thousand times: combat system is superior to RP system (which actually almost doesn't even exist). Shish...again...

[quote]Is is THAT hard to understand that it's NOT a RPG? Or at least not the common RPC you are all used with?[/quote]
That's exactly why I play MagicDuel. Not because it's not an RPG, but because it is not the common RPG I am used to. I play because it is an RPG with a community that actually role plays. PVP is certainly a large part of the game, but it isn't the game. And it is not what keeps me here.

[quote]Who are the most known players? I will tell you: the grinders. Except Z and Tarq nobody from the so called "good RPers" are as known as the grinders. And they are know because they were also RPCs.[/quote]
I may be an exception, but I know of very few grinders. I know they are there because others are constantly complaining about them (I'm not sure why; they don't harm the game), but I don't know who they are.

[quote]Sorry but as I already said a thousand times: combat system is superior to RP system (which actually almost doesn't even exist). Shish...again...[/quote]
You're right, there really isn't much of a role play system. But then again, there isn't much need for one. Just because we can hardcode specific rules for combat, that doesn't make it superior. It should be a part of MagicDuel, but I pray that it will never supersede the whole. MagicDuel is a microcosm, not just a battleground.

I reserve the right to remain silent and i'm trying my damnedest to keep the right... *hears something pop deep inside his brain* ahh crap... *takes a deep, deep breath*

Edited by cryxus

[quote]That's exactly why I play MagicDuel. Not because it's not an RPG, but because it is not the common RPG I am used to. I play because it is an RPG with a community that actually role plays. PVP is certainly a large part of the game, but it isn't the game. And it is not what keeps me here.[/quote]

YOU PLAY? I have seen you maybe 3 or 4 times in the last months. Just logging in is not playing. There are several so called players that log in just to get their active days. Nothing much. And if you log in and sit in a deserted place "researching" is not playing either.

[quote]I may be an exception, but I know of very few grinders. I know they are there because others are constantly complaining about them (I'm not sure why; they don't harm the game), but I don't know who they are.
[/quote]

This comes to support my above statement: you don't really play...

[quote]
You're right, there really isn't much of a role play system. But then again, there isn't much need for one. Just because we can hardcode specific rules for combat, that doesn't make it superior. It should be a part of MagicDuel, but I pray that it will never supersede the whole. MagicDuel is a microcosm, not just a battleground.[/quote]

Yes, the all time:"we don't need a coded system cause we have our freedom". Then why is HC so popular? Why are the shop crits so wanted? Why is everybody at the GGG training all day? Why do even crits exist? You can do just fine without them. After all you have your personal papers and the mighty asterisk feature (off topic:I just realized...nobody make a poem about the asterisk , yet they made poems things less important then this...).

You know, with battles is simple: you CAN become better and if you want you can defeat any player in MD. But with RP you have the god mod-ers and the new thingy Udgard wrote somewhere (bunnying I believe). And you simply cannot stop those players that are doing it. What was the response to this? RP training sessions. But how will you force a player to change his RP style? You cannot. So I see this as the major failure of the RP "system".Not to mention these trainings are subjective. There is no recipe for RP-ing! There are maybe just common sense rules. But if someone doesn't accept them then again, you cannot do anything about it.

Ha! I just had an awesome idea for "melting" both RP and battles. Check this: you fight a battle with someone. Then save the log and start commenting on it:

I invoke the power of <insert deity here>!
*<deity> grants DSTs 5% power making the tokens 95% effective.*
Caw 2 activated on my grasan. It gives me 34000 attack points.
I do haotic damage on <insert player name here>'s aramor. Aramor gets xxxxxxx damage and remains with yyyy life!
Ha! Got your aramor!
etc/etc

[quote name='dst' date='09 November 2009 - 02:07 AM' timestamp='1257728833' post='47023']
Cut the cr**! If i read one more time about how MD is a RPG and not a PVP I will delete the entry instantly! Is is THAT hard to understand that it's NOT a RPG? Or at least not the common RPC you are all used with? Hey! I might even call it a FPS! After all i chase players all over MD to get a decent amount of xp these days! Shish...Who are the most known players? I will tell you: the grinders. Except Z and Tarq nobody from the so called "good RPers" are as known as the grinders. And they are know because they were also RPCs. Sorry but as I already said a thousand times: combat system is superior to RP system (which actually almost doesn't even exist). Shish...again...
[/quote]
MD is not just an RPG. However if you claim it is a FPS you are making the same mistake as people claiming it to be an RPG. MD is a lot of things: roleplaying, creature battling, wish point gathering...
The reason good grinders are 'famous', is quite simple: they are good because they know how to beat your rituals and do it regularly, how can you not notice them except if you never do any battling? For roleplaying it is much more difficult. It takes at least two people to roleplay, or one shizo. When both people are good, they will produce an interesting story, which others might notice and participate in. If one is good and the other goes ooc or godmods, then you will most likely see the former person getting angry, going idle or giving advice on RP, none of which is good roleplay. And all of it requires you to read it, which you wont unless you are at least a bit interested in RP. So RPers will notice RPers, while grinders and everybody who at least has a single creature and is level 5 will notice grinders. (which excludes me, jay!).
Also: the fighting system doesn't look interesting to me. You all talk about 'tactics' but all i can see is a few creatures with useful skills, which means a limited number of possible useful rituals. For mp3 it didn't even require any thinking at all, since every headscontest you would get attacked with the best ritual that was available at that time. The dozens of people that did train months to win HC at mp3 before I went to mp4 all used the same kind of ritual, so if I wanted to have the best ritual, all I needed to do was copy it.
Certainly the RP system is lacking too, but don't be praising the battle system like it's the only thing that is perfect in MD. It is not perfect; nothing will ever be perfect because that would imply Mur wouldn't need to work on it anymore and the concept of the game is that everything is constantly changing.

First:I said I might call it a FPS. Too bad I cannot put a big sign called Irony on some of my statements.

Second: don't put words in my mouth. I never said the fighting system is perfect. Hell! It's faar, faar away from that. It was almost perfect BTE. I said it's better then the RP system. Waaay better. And nothing can change my mind.

To be honest I have no problem with the so called RP. Except the moments I read stupid stuff on the forum about how marvelous RP is and how awful grinders are. And I hate whiners:mommy, that bad guy has destroyed my rit, has stolen my heads and spanked me. Oh...and he/she stole my lollipop! And since that person gets frustrated he/she changes to RP.
I always said: fighters/grinders are waay more better RP-ers then RP-ers will ever be at fighting. For me they are just players that have no clue how to put up a decent ritual so they hide behind: I am an RP-er and I don't need to fight!
BUT...you see them at GGG leveling their crits. That's pure hypocrisy!

You say that there are just few good rits? How wrong you are... Just ask for the logs of the last fighting contest. You'll be amazed how many possibilities there are. I haven't had so much fun in months: the thrill of finding a counter for a really new ritual is amazing.
And now, with the new abilities of the old crits I expect new and fun things.

ps: I still believe my idea with commenting fights is the best for RP fighting

This is a very silly thing to be arguing about for this simple reason:

MD is different for all people, and some systems are better for some than they are for others. One person could say with absolute conviction that the combat system is better than the RP (dst) and another who views them more equally (kafuuka, I believe).

Which one is right? I would say that they are both right, just as every single person is right. Are those who say MD is an RPG right? Yes, although their wording implies something that I think they usually do not mean. MD is an RPG to those who play it like one, it is a FPS if you want to play it like that (though realistically, no one does), and it is a place to log in and look at the same picture every day if that is what you so desire.

As Tarquinus has argued in the past, the true beauty of MD comes when you integrate ALL parts of MD into one, that is the challenge it puts forth. Whether you rise to that challenge or not, in the end there is no punishment or reward besides those given intrinsically, and those should be more than enough to motivate someone to fulfill the challenge.

Grinders have a place in MD, as do RPers. So what if RPers call it an RPG... they only do so because RPing is the activity in which they participate; therefore it is no surprise that they view MD as an RPG.

Perhaps I am a fool, and MD is only one thing, one-dimensional, with one way to be played. Consider this also, if you so choose.

Awi

Edited by awiiya

Going into semantics: I never said you said it is an FPS, I said IF you claim it to be an FPS...

Back to serious business: people stealing your lollipops is way more annoying than getting spanked. And everyone that goes to RP because they can't stand loosing in battle is prone to bunnying/godmodding. Which ends in being ignored, lectured or outgodmodded (yes this can happen, especially if the one doing it actually has the silence spell, but it is not required); they loose in RP, which is a hard thing to do since death can be the most epic roleplay (if never resurrected that is). I doubt those people are the ones who debate on the forum for the very same reason: debates require at least one party to change their views.

I also said that at mp3 there were few good rits, before the tokens. I know there are more possibilities at mp4 and now with tokens and changing abilities... but that mostly supports my argument. The fun is in finding counter rituals. A couple of people test the new abilities, make new rituals and counters. If a newer person or one who has less time attacks one of the new rituals, they'll see how good it is and will be prone to copying it. At that point someone who knows the counter is bound to attack them sooner or later and poof free knowledge of the counter is granted. You've had the most fun in months because there are new rituals possible, does that not imply that you already tried all the evident old rituals, and the less evident and even most of the really tricky obscure ones?

Your idea about commenting fights is similar to what Tarquinus mentioned with [post='46582']"don't ignore the system".[/post]

See. I started an RP which commentated my skill, or lack of it, at fighting with my critters. For that to be shut down and railroaded with an Admin calling it SPAM hurt my feelings about how I see the game.

Me posts seem to be "me me me" these days... maybe its because I am too new to comment on anyone else's experiences. But DST, who died and made you head witch? What crawled up your butt? Quit yelling because someone else for seeing blue where you see yellow.

Simply put, you can criticise how someone might look at a painting by Picasso and can even add thoughts to their point of view. But you will never crush the uniqueness of the painter or the observer.

These people are right: live and let live. If people want to RP their experiences in MD, let them. If people want to ignore the RP route of MD, let them get on with their way of looking at it.

MD is a picture. The observers are you, I and everyone else here. If they see blue and you see yellow, who cares? Don't crush someone's creativity or their way of enjoying the game. If anything, add to it or help them.

[quote name='stormrunner' date='09 November 2009 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1257796721' post='47101']
but that is what dst does and MD would get more boring if she didn't. oh and I tend to agree with the don't ignore the system but I understand why people do it
[/quote]

And for this, I suppose we should say, "Thank you dst."

Awi

After writing a biiig post I deleted it.

You know what? Why do I care? After all I can ignore all this RP cr** and live my life without it. I am tired to repeat myself and try to prove something that everyone knows but it's easier to ignore it then to confront the truth.
You want to call MD a RPG? Fine, do so but don't start whining you got beaten when you call yourself a RP-er.And stop accusing players of bad RP-ing when they are not interested in this aspect of the game. And stop praising the RP system so much. It's a total <insert bad word here>. You only do it cause Mur said he wants a RPG. If he would say he wants a fluffy pink butterfly you would be praising the wings of the butterfly :D.

No, it doesn't always work like that: testing and then copying. Certain rituals have more then it meets the eye. Remember dead birds? Remember ghost? And a highly used rit : trees on regen.
As for testing rituals:I fail to see the relevance of your question.

Wolfmister: who died and made you head noob? You know there is always at least one option: exit.
Don't like it, don't play.
Crush your creativity? Are you kidding me? When I don't follow rules I am yealled that I don't follow them. When I do follow them and tell you you're spamming I get yealled at for "crushing the creativity".
I suggest you re-write your post and remove the insults. I never insulted you.

Oh, and I almost forgot:you have a warning.