What Number Am I Wp Puzzle Quest

cutler121

What number am I Puzzle Arcade Quest  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So over the last month I put together a few quests with a variety of different formats for people to try out and I thought I would post the results of those quests to both let people know how they turned out and hopefully get some feedback on what people thought about them.

If people could respond here about what you particularly liked, disliked, or what worked well or maybe would have been better if done differently, I will think about that for future quests.

In this quest, people had to go to the talking rock to start the quest. I used the talking rock as the "grand central station" of the quest and each person was initially told that there were 12 clues to a number you had to determine. Each clue sent people out to a clickable where they had to solve one of the twelve different logic games I made over the last few months. When people solved one of the logic games, that made a different color appear in MD and a new hint was revealed at the talking rock. After revealing all of the 12 hints, I programmed a text box to appear where people could submit their guess and if correct win the quest / activate the puzzle arcade.

I also wanted to keep track of which games were played the most and how often / who had won what games so I put up a statistics page which showed the number of people completing each one of the 12 logic games.

I had planned to give out 3 WP to the first three people to complete the quest, but due to a misplaced quote in my code, the first four people were told they won a WP so I gave all four a WP for being the first to finish the quest:

asryn
tankfans
kafuuka
smartalekrj

This quest is still available and people continue to solve different hint legs on a daily basis. To date nine people have completed all of the logic games and correctly guessed the number which activated the puzzle arcade for them so they can play new versions of any of the 12 logic games within MD whenever they want. These nine people are:

asryn, tankfans, kafuuka, smartalekrj, pipstickz, Mighty Pirate, xyxVULCANxyx, flangilaportium, rylailina

Also on the stats page are the total number of people starting the quest 209 people (included are some alts) with the number completing each leg:

74 people completed clue 1
37 people completed clue 2
46 people completed clue 3
48 people completed clue 4
35 people completed clue 5
30 people completed clue 6
29 people completed clue 7
19 people completed clue 8
27 people completed clue 9
25 people completed clue 10
30 people completed clue 11
29 people completed clue 12

I plan to leave this quest up and running for new people or people who just need a break and want to play one of the logic puzzle games. I know personally I have gotten addicted to a few of them and play them regularly myself even though I programmed them ;)

This was my first quest to use the new MDscripting functions and I wanted to try to make a fully automated scripted quest that used the clickable items and gave some more options to play logic games like the broken pattern gazebo puzzle.

Edited by cutler121

It's a fun quest, although for obvious reasons my opinion is biased, and it has been a while since i completed it. Luckily I still have my original pm:
I had most trouble with the spike puzzle. When you lack sleep, it is not obvious that you need to set all squares to be a spike, not just the ones needed to satisfy the numbers...

What's good about the quest is that the instructions are clear (most of the time) and the puzzles seem to be at the right level if you look at number of attempts and successes. What's a bit less imo is that it is first solve, win. I saw people start the puzzle when I finished and others had finished it before I even heard about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I gave you 2.
The reason behind it is because I am firm believer that nothing in the world is perfect (may it be game world or the world we dont have choice but to live in) besides where is perfection there is no space for improvements... (not to mention, perfection can be boring, I believe).

The other reasons are, as it was already mentioned some instructions could be a bit clearer BUT I also have to say that I was very glad to see your respond and clearing "Spikes" one up a bit for me yet just enaugh for me to comprehend what it demands of me (so that is a definitive + ).

The main backdraw to it would be that for those who werent around when you puted it up there is no actual reward (besides solving it and feeling a bit smarter about yourself wich is reward by itself ) but I am also aware that you can not change that or at least I think you cant... (maybe you should talk with Mur and ask him if he could sort thing out same way as the wp that is rewarded for the broken gazhebo thing? just a thought ).

Allas, I didnt solved all of them yet... wich is obvious and it will probably take some time to do so, since I am aware that I am not the smartest person on the world. :D

I am very pleased to see tho, that we can still play with it and is not closed persay since I am enjoying it and would love to see more of that sort of the puzzles around to test my "brain-capacity" at or simply stimulate my thinking process for a bit (since I believe that if one doesnt uses it frequently they tend to be lazy, haha ).

So.. yes, that would be all that I have to say... I think... Did I mentioned that I like them very much? :P

Greetings!

Even before the What Number Am I Quest came out, I have been answering puzzles at Cutlers page. I remember always asking him when will his new puzzle come out whenever I finish his puzzles. And I always liked all the puzzles he made. Not only did I like it, I enjoyed it a lot.

And because of that, I gave his puzzle quest a rating of 1.

May you create more interesting and enjoyable puzzles in the future.

Signed,
Rockistah
\m/

Edited by Rockistah

• 1 month later...

i think you are supposed to have exactly as many spikes pointing to an edge as the number in that corner implies...
eg, when a 4 is in a circle, 4 spikes have to point towards it, when a 1 is in it, you should get 1 spike pointing to it and 3 others not touching it

[quote name='Burns' date='14 February 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1266168371' post='54473']
i think you are supposed to have exactly as many spikes pointing to an edge as the number in that corner implies...
eg, when a 4 is in a circle, 4 spikes have to point towards it, when a 1 is in it, you should get 1 spike pointing to it and 3 others not touching it
[/quote]

Thanks Burns,

Yes that is correct, you also need to set a spike at every location. The last thing you need to do is to make sure there are no closed loops made out of spikes. This is the reason you won't ever see a 0 in one of the circles since you would have to make a closed look of spikes around it which is not allowed.

Cheers,

Cutler

I really liked all the puzzles in this quest. :0)

There was one though for which figuring out the answer to was very difficult since I didn't understand the instructions clearly - it was the puzzle where you have to black out the duplicate numbers in any column or row. I kept getting script errors on that one, so I was never able to finish it.

[quote name='Skie Anderson' date='16 February 2010 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1266338086' post='54599']
I really liked all the puzzles in this quest. :0)

There was one though for which figuring out the answer to was very difficult since I didn't understand the instructions clearly - it was the puzzle where you have to black out the duplicate numbers in any column or row. I kept getting script errors on that one, so I was never able to finish it.
[/quote]

What type of script errors and what browser were you using? The best thing to do is to close the puzzle down and reload the browser. Sometimes the javascript doesn't finish loading in time for the page to run properly, but if you reload that should fix it.

Cheers,

Cutler

• 3 months later...

lol i liked the puzzles but i think just as lady dawn said u have to talk to Mur about the quest rewards if you'd get a wp, I'm sure ppl would like to solve it more...

as for me, well i solved almost all of them, but then i went offline for about 3 months and when i came back everything i had done, vanished (i mean i went back to the PC like a new player and i had finished story mode and all) so i have to start all over, I'd rather not though, unless there's sth in it for me (aka talk to Mur about the wp reward)

[quote name='Pipstickz' date='28 May 2010 - 06:01 AM' timestamp='1275026474' post='60512']
There already were WPs. First four people to solve the whole thing got one, if I remember right.
[/quote]

Yes,

Pip is correct, there were four WP's given out to the first people to solve this quest. Since then something like 38 people completed the puzzle arcade quest. Unfortunately the puzzles are no longer around, they were taken down with the Astral Plane so this quest is no longer active.

In case people get a itch for one of those puzzles, six of them are now for sale in the apple store under the names:

Logix Arrows
Logix Cross
Logix Domino
Logix Rank
Logix Spike
Logix Summ

as well as a few new logic games which will be coming out shortly:

Logix Bees
and Logix Drops

Cheers,

Cutler

[quote name='argos' date='31 May 2010 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1275300388' post='60685']
then cutler, why is the astral plain down?? (i never had a chance to win a CTC competition)
[/quote]

Sorry Argos,

There is no more astral plane.

Cutler