Bumping threads?

On the point of bumping trade threads..

I have been part of several trading forums (yes, a forum especially for trading), and I can say that bumping topics is not something that is considered plain spam. There are rules about bumping, such as you should bump only when several days have passed, or new stuff are being offered / new bids are being posted etc. Plain bumping your thread every five minutes is spam, but bumps itself is a commonly used and accepted tool which is vital to trading forums. Some trading forums do not allow direct bumps, but instead ask the thread starter to make a new topic (depends on the nature of the goods sbeing traded, and the forum traditions). Now, we'd better have bumps than tons of topics with the same content posted by the same person every 2 weeks ehre in MD, right?

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' date='13 January 2010 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1263359390' post='52620']
I would prefer that they made a new topic every two weeks. So we know that the offer is still valid. Instead of my pm people about topics three months old that are still open seeing if it is okay to close it.
[/quote]

[i]A bit offtopic with the real purpose of the topic ( which was about dst), but since it is mentioned, I'll post my opinion about this again here. If mods think this will put the topic OT too much, please move these parts to a separate topic in the market forum.[/i]

I would personally suggest otherwise, especially if topics that are not getting active posts (but with offers that are still valid) are closed.

Making a new topic and closing the old ones will clutter the forum a lot, and it would be much easier if people just bump the topic instead of making anew one with pretty much the same content. [b]Edit[/b]: and people will know that the offer is still valid, because they were bumped. It serves the same purpose as making a new thread with the same content, without the effect of cluttering the forum with tons of threads. Besides, in your assumption that people should search for threads manually when looking for a certain kind of item, wouldn't it be hard to find the topic they need if the database is cluttered with so much topics because same people keep making a new one every two weeks? (note that my comment about making new topics every two weeks is to compare with how much better I think it would be if people used bumps instead. It's not about whether everyone with 3 months old topics should PM a mod asking for their topic to be closed or not).

Edit: added a line to make my point clear.

Edited by Udgard

• Root Admin

Removed bumping threads from the complaint about dst, since demotion was not something that dst personally did.

My view is that bumps show us easier what forum topics are open and closed.

Topics that haven't been touched for ages show that the user probably doesnt want them anymore, or isnt checking the forum.

And posting a new post every month would mean that topics are easier to see if they are still open, but it would fill the forum up very quickly and perhaps add more clutter.

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' date='13 January 2010 - 05:09 AM' timestamp='1263359390' post='52620']
I would prefer that they made a new topic every two weeks. So we know that the offer is still valid. Instead of my pm people about topics three months old that are still open seeing if it is okay to close it.
[/quote]

As Chewett said it would make a clutter. It would also be hard for players to know which threads are still alive and which are dead.

I say keep the bumping within the thread it concerns aslong as its not being bumped every minute. Perhaps bumping the thread only to keep the thread in the top 10 threads would be sufficient. <--This method has worked perfectly well in many forums without making a mess.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' date='13 January 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1263410888' post='52669']
Clutter? I don't understand what you mean. Those topics are put from newest to oldest in the search. I dont see how they can clutter anything. There may be more posts this way, but the topics remain up to date, and if the the poster forgets what he is posting, then the offer gets lost.
[/quote]

bumping will produce the same effects, with fewer posts.

Bumping has always been generally acceptable since the CTC section has been open it has been around along time. Making a new topic every couple of weeks with the same offers and so forth wouldnt that be spamming more than just a small bump, With new topics are you going to then ask mods to clean up the 4 or so topics youve made to sell 4-5 creatures?

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' date='13 January 2010 - 01:40 PM' timestamp='1263411620' post='52673']
And how is more posts with fewer threads better than fewer posts with more threads?

Fewer posts keeps the threads clean, and neat. While a thread spammed with bumps is annoying to sift through.
[/quote]

If the creator of the thread edits the first post, there's no need to sift through anything. If not, then I doubt that'd stop you from buying what you want to buy anyways. How long does it take to look at a post and see that it's just a bump? Not long.