Recipe Swap

Windy

Since the Christmas Card Exchange was such a hit, I thought I'd try something new. A recipe swap. The only drawback is the Metric System thing....Anyway, here's my recipe for Cream Puff Cake...Yummy!

1 cup water
1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Place water and butter over low heat until butter melts. Remove from heat and stir in flour until smooth. Add eggs one at a time using electric mixer. Spread in greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 -40 minutes. Allow the crust to cool.

Filling:

2 pkgs instant vanilla pudding (can be regular or sugar free)
3 cups milk
4 oz softened cream cheese
8 oz cool whip

Mix pudding and milk for about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese. Mix well.
Add cool whip. Spread on crust and refridgerate.

Note: Do not use reduced fat butter.

2 Minute Soup!

1 can of soup
1 can opener
1 spoon

Take 1 can of soup along with 1 can opener, and open the can of soup.
Insert 1 spoon into can and stir slightly.
Ready to eat.
Enjoy!

Cold Cereal!

1 box of cereal
1 bowl
1 spoon
2-3 cups of milk (dependant on size of bowl)

Take 1 box of cereal and fill 1 bowl with cereal depending on how hungry you are.
Take the milk and pour into the cereal filled bowl depending on personal preference.
Stir with 1 spoon and eat with said spoon.
Enjoy!

EDIT: I have done both of the above, best soup is Cream of Mushroom, and the cereal would have to be Reese's Puffs cereal <3

Edited by Yoshi

[quote name='Yoshi' date='29 January 2010 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1264788482' post='53579']
2 Minute Soup!

1 can of soup
1 can opener
1 spoon

Take 1 can of soup along with 1 can opener, and open the can of soup.
Insert 1 spoon into can and stir slightly.
Ready to eat.
Enjoy!

Cold Cereal!

1 box of cereal
1 bowl
1 spoon
2-3 cups of milk (dependant on size of bowl)

Take 1 box of cereal and fill 1 bowl with cereal depending on how hungry you are.
Take the milk and pour into the cereal filled bowl depending on personal preference.
Stir with 1 spoon and eat with said spoon.
Enjoy!
[/quote]

Silly boy....

• 10 months later...

I'm reviving this! :ph34r:

Miso is EXTREMELY healthy- it can help prevent cancer even! So, try this simple soup out. You've probably had it before!

Japanese miso soup:

[u]Ingredients[/u]
White miso paste obtainable from any and all asian markets
chives (preferably japanese leeks sliced into thin rings if you can get them)
medium tofu ([size="1"]prolly cheaper bought at said asian market- organic is 99¢ at mine compared to $6 organic at the standard grocery store :P[/size])
3/4 cup of boiling water

Optional: wet seaweed

Begin by putting water on to boil- or just filling a measuring cup with 3/4 cup of water and putting it in the microwave for 3 minutes.

Take out a small bowl that you will take the soup from and put about two generous (not monstrous, mind you) spoonfuls of miso paste directly into the bowl.

Take the whole, washed chives/japanese leeks and slice them thinly to a quantity that suits your own tastes.

Take the tofu out of the package and put it sideways to cut from the short side a half inch thick slice from the tofu. Cut this slice into cubes in sizes and shapes of your choosing.

Remove the boiled water from the stove/microwave, and pour about 3/4 of a cup of the water directly into the bowl containing the two spoonfuls of miso paste. (if you put too much paste in, you might have to add more water)

Add tofu and chives/leeks to the bowl and stir together, making sure the paste has dissolved well into the hot water.

Allow to cool for about a minute or so before drinking. The paste elements WILL settle in the bowl between sips, so be sure to stir before you drink.

Notes:
When storing the remaining tofu, when you cut the package, you can drain the liquid into the tupperware that you intend to store the tofu in to keep it fresh.

Japanese leeks are hard to get ahold of, and they are very different from regular leeks. So, if you cannot find japanese negi, chives will work just fine.

I highly suggest using white (白)miso instead of red(赤)miso for miso soup. White miso and red miso look identical, so you'll have to be mindful of packaging when you buy it- miso paste is very cheap. You cannot make miso paste yourself unless you are a 100 year old japanese great grandmother who lives in the country, so buying it is the only option, even in japan.

If you use wet seaweed (which will come packaged wet), just take a pinch of it and put it directly into the soup if you use it. You should probably dry off the excess packaging juice before you put it into the soup itself.

You can always add other things to miso soup- what I've listed here is what's traditionally in it. However, there's no rule stating you can't add anything else, and often times in japan they do add other things, such as mushrooms, sweet fried tofu, and other things as different styles of miso.

Enjoy! :D

Edited by Aysun

Stuffed Mushrooms

From a couple dozen mushrooms, pull the stems out of the caps, and cut a little bit of the lip of the caps to make nice "cups.

Slice the stems & trimmings into little disks that crush easily.

Mix roughly equal amount of stems, mayonaise and crumbled up crackers (prefer Ritz) and mash & stir until everything is broken up well.

Slowly add as much red pepper (cayenne, paprika, whatever) as it takes for you to taste it. It will get stronger when cooked. You can put a touch for color on top later too.

Put all the caps on a metal tray and fill each with the mix.

Bake on something like 350-400 F (177-205 C) until the mushrooms start to get soft (maybe 15-20 minutes). The more you cook, the more disgusting they look, but the better they taste!

Yumm!

[quote name='Aysun' timestamp='1291539700' post='74471']
^ What kind of mushrooms do you suggest for this? Portabella?
[/quote]

I am thinking he meant the white button mushrooms. Portabello mushroom heads are not deep enough, I don't think and they are a very meaty mushroom.:blush:

• Root Admin

there is a very common problem in countries such as mine..ingredient names. Most of the times i can't do any of the recipes i find because they have one or two ingredients that cant be found on this market. Thats just a side note.

Find a way to integrate this somehow in md, anyhow..a good example is making pictures of the food you cook and post them here, with MD somehow, depending on what you cook of course. If you get this somehow better integrated i can sponsor it with some wp codes so you can reward people participating.

in any case its a sweet idea, i love cooking ideas..too bad i eat more than i spend time cooking.
oh...and can't deny i enjoyed yoshi's joke :))))

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' timestamp='1291601940' post='74594']
there is a very common problem in countries such as mine..ingredient names. Most of the times i can't do any of the recipes i find because they have one or two ingredients that cant be found on this market. Thats just a side note.

Find a way to integrate this somehow in md, anyhow..a good example is making pictures of the food you cook and post them here, with MD somehow, depending on what you cook of course. If you get this somehow better integrated i can sponsor it with some wp codes so you can reward people participating.

in any case its a sweet idea, i love cooking ideas..too bad i eat more than i spend time cooking.
oh...and can't deny i enjoyed yoshi's joke :))))
[/quote]

I totally forgot about that issue, Mur. I have a recipe that I would like to share called Cream Puffs that any international should be able to make. The ingredients are just flour, water, and eggs for the Puffs. However, the baking part will be an issue, because it depends how your oven works. Some have to put them on the middle rack, others top or bottom.

The cream part of the recipe is just Vanilla Pudding (Not instant) and Whipped Topping. Don't use generic. Use Cool Whip if you can get it or something of equal quality. Stay tuned!^_^

My friend and I borrowed this from a website and made some various changes to the recipe, otherwise the original can be found [url=http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/recipes/easy/cookev3.tdf?0]here[/url].

Vegetarian Indian Curry- approved by a very dear friend of mine from Pakistan. :)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin powder
4 medium red potatoes unpeeled and cubed small.
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon onion powder (also add to taste)
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon hot spice mix (garam masala)
2 tomatoes chopped
1/3 small yellow onion sliced
1 cup water
salt to taste (the tomatoes will really suck up the salt so watch out)

1) Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
2) Add the potato cubes along with the dry spices and salt. Mix well. Cook until the potatoes are cooked and somewhat shrunk.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes, sliced onion, and water.
4) Cook covered stirring at intervals, on medium to medium-high heat for about 7-10 minutes.
5) Boil down uncovered, stirring periodically, until the liquid is at a consistency to your liking.
6) Pour over cooked basmati rice and enjoy!!

Curry, as I know it, is not meant to be like weird yellowish water. It should have some thickness to it. My friend says her family adds a bit of flour to the curry as a thickener, but we discovered, in making this, that if you let it boil down some, taking it off the heat and letting it cool a little will bring it to the right consistency. To a degree, this is trial and error at first, but you really can't hurt the curry as you try.

This recipe originally called for a mango paste which we were unable to find. Instead we used hot mango relish as a side item to the finished curry(I *think* it's mango chutney but I could be very wrong about this). The brand is Patak's, extra hot, and if you live in the US you should be able to get this at your local grocery store (we got ours at Publix). It's really an AMAZING relish to use on the side- all you need is a pinch of it on the side, scoop a little on your spoon, grab a spoonful of rice and curry, and it's delicious! So, I really highly recommend it!

------------------------------------------
Punjabi homestyle basmati rice, serving two.

1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon of olive oil
onion powder to taste

Take a cup of basmati rice and put it into a bowl. Rinse the rice about three times and then fill the bowl with water over the rice and leave to soak for about thirty minutes.(Note: For basmati rice, presoaking really is mandatory. I made it without soaking it once and it came out quite badly, so be sure not to skip doing it!)

While the rice is soaking, take a small pan, put in about one tablespoon of olive oil on about medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add half a thinly sliced onion and begin to fry, stirring occasionally. You'll want to cook and stir the onions until they grow dark- some that are black but not extra crispy are just fine. Turn off the heat and wait for the rice to finish soaking.

After the rice is done soaking, drain the water from it carefully. There are now two cooking options:

For those with asian rice cookers:
Place the rice into the bowl of the cooker and pour two cups of water into it. Select the option for white rice and either normal or fast speed- either is fine. Half way through the cooking cycle (or until the water has been soaked up by the rice), open the cooker without turning it off and sprinkle onion powder onto the rice to taste while adding the cooked onions, stirring both into the rice. Close the cooker and allow it to finish until the rice is done.

For those without rice cookers:
Place the drained rice into a medium sized pot and add two cups of water. Cover the rice and put it on high to boil for about five to seven minutes. After that, reduce the heat to simmer for about 15 minutes. About halfway through the 15 minutes (or until the water has been soaked up by the rice), add the onion powder to taste and cooked onions to the rice, stirring it and returning the cover until the rice is done.

Serve the rice with the curry and extra hot mango relish! 8D

Edited by Aysun

[quote name='Yoshi' timestamp='1292953875' post='75842']
Made this awhile ago for breakfast, it was goood... picture recipes work too? >.>
[/quote]
i love this, cheesy vanilla toast im Sure is not my thing... but i like the way youve used your own pictures to do the recipe,ive never seen anything like it!

i want someone to bake MD shaped cookies! or has this been done before

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Asterdai' timestamp='1293571745' post='76227']
i love this, cheesy vanilla toast im Sure is not my thing... but i like the way youve used your own pictures to do the recipe,ive never seen anything like it!

i want someone to bake MD shaped cookies! or has this been done before
[/quote]

Tell me, Darling. What sort of shape is MD?:P

[quote name='Windy' timestamp='1297896686' post='78944']
Tell me, Darling. What sort of shape is MD?:P
[/quote]

It'd be a cube, with a blob around it, and a tree-ish edge, and ..um... Shading? :wacko:
I'd go with bar-cookies cut into cubes.... or petit fours. That seems most appropriate.
with gummy bear heads, and little cinnamon-hots (for torches).

Aww heck, lets jsut make it an all you cna eat buffet at the UN building, that should cover it all.