Md Creature Card Game

cutler121

[quote name='Grido' date='06 April 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1270572500' post='57737']
Could there be some counter for how many card rounds have been played, to see how long the game is?
[/quote]

Yes that could be added.

After this round of the competition is over I will look into adding something like that.

I have been working on upgrading the computer player some more. I had some mislabeled cards before which was making it play strangely. Hopefully that should be all fixed now. From the scoreboard though it looks like the computer was holding its own even before the update.

Cutler

Edited by cutler121

I don't know what you did, but i hardly stand a chance against the computer. Perhaps you could think of balancing the difficulty for each MP? After all, MP3 and MP4 doesn't have the best of cards so they could win without losing a card. I have fricking Barren Souls, although i removed them from the deck and they are MP3's cards. It's quite strange in fact. :blink:

• Root Admin

[quote name='Elthen Airis' date='06 April 2010 - 07:19 PM' timestamp='1270581587' post='57744']
I don't know what you did, but i hardly stand a chance against the computer. Perhaps you could think of balancing the difficulty for each MP? After all, MP3 and MP4 doesn't have the best of cards so they could win without losing a card. I have fricking Barren Souls, although i removed them from the deck and they are MP3's cards. It's quite strange in fact. :blink:
[/quote]

There is a lot of stragity involved in the game, and as long as you play with always picking the stat which has the highest "ranking" (based on the other cards) then you can win most of the time.

Well, I played with strategy..and the AI seemed inhuman, as if it KNEW what I had in hand.

Not picking according to what is "generally the best stat", but almost seemed as if it took a look at my hand and then played.

I mean, a bird, vs angien.

Every other stat it loses or ties. Yet it picks attack. Generic best option is defense. Why?

If it's designed that way oh well...but then again i would lose many more games in future. I admit though that I can win by using strategy as well, but..meh. That takes the level of playing not to a play, but more a war.

[quote name='Chewett' date='06 April 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1270582217' post='57745']
There is a lot of stragity involved in the game, and as long as you play with always picking the stat which has the highest "ranking" (based on the other cards) then you can win most of the time.
[/quote]

Yeah. Choose the best ranking of an Aramor or a Barren Soul. Alright, 30 power sometimes wins. Scout? Elemental Egg? Believe me that strategy doesn't work. And what's more, 1 loss of mine means at least 5 cards combo by the computer. And yes, i also believe it knows what card i have in hand, rather than playing based on highest "ranking".

Well if you have 60% chance, what about MP4s without the regeneration stat, or even more MP3s without power. Then again, everyone has the same difficulty so i guess it's quite alright. But getting 100 wins is absolutely impossible in any case.

[quote name='Shadowseeker' date='06 April 2010 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1270588181' post='57758']
Wrong..after the first 20 turns you may get annihilated. Because once your card is unable to win in any stat, it's over at times.
[/quote]

True, except for MP3 its only 10 turns. :cool:

The default plays also have a large impact on how "well" the computer is able to play blind. The better able you are to rank the different stats compared to the composition of the play deck, the more educated your guesses can be. This allows the computer to modify its play style based on what has been played.

What some of you point out is also true. If I were to build in a "known" card order then the computer would have no guessing required. So it could play even better than it does now, but the ability to rank the current card compared to a default deck as well as the current deck does well enough.

The first time I released the CCG many people complained that the play was too easy when I had built in a gentle learning curve for how quickly the computer increased in difficulty. Also I had set the computer to not go for the kill. This round, I made the computer ability increase much more steep and the computer is now set to go for the kill, no more mister nice guy. :blink:

But with that all said, if you understand how the cards are distributed you can still beat the computer most of the time. If people still think it is too easy though, I can make the computer player better.

Cutler

[quote name='Elthen Airis' date='06 April 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1270583499' post='57751']
Well if you have 60% chance, what about MP4s without the regeneration stat, or even more MP3s without power. Then again, everyone has the same difficulty so i guess it's quite alright. But getting 100 wins is absolutely impossible in any case.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say absolutely impossible, there is a chance. But I feel confident enough to "put my money where my mouth is" that the computer player is good enough to beat everyone at least one time in 100 games.

The 1 Gold bounty is still there for anyone who is able to play 100 perfect games.

Cutler

-How long with the contest run?
>-How long WILL the contest run?

Simple typo ^^

And I still would like to pick out my OWN cards to use and not have them get all jumbled up :blink:

EDIT: Is the AI different by person, or is it general, and is it the same for each MP?

Edited by Yoshi

[quote name='Yoshi' date='07 April 2010 - 02:25 AM' timestamp='1270607144' post='57765']
-How long with the contest run?
>-How long WILL the contest run?

Simple typo ^^

And I still would like to pick out my OWN cards to use and not have them get all jumbled up :blink:

EDIT: Is the AI different by person, or is it general, and is it the same for each MP?
[/quote]

The AI is the same for everyone, but it will be changed after this round of competition is over to improve the play experience.

This round started on day 93 and runs until the end of day 100. (Updated on the info page as day 4 to 11).

Cutler

PS What do you mean jumbled up?

Jumbled as in the cards that get picked for me, and the cards that the AI pick are shuffled between us. I would like to try a few rounds starting with JUST the cards that I choose. No compulsory starters, no cards from the computers deck, just mine.

Oh, -How long with the contest run? is on the score section.

Edited by Yoshi

[quote name='Yoshi' date='07 April 2010 - 04:23 AM' timestamp='1270614213' post='57768']
Jumbled as in the cards that get picked for me, and the cards that the AI pick are shuffled between us. I would like to try a few rounds starting with JUST the cards that I choose. No compulsory starters, no cards from the computers deck, just mine.

Oh, -How long with the contest run? is on the score section.
[/quote]

I have updated the first post on this thread with the complete set of info for the CCG game so people no longer have to read through everything to find the game rules.

The current jumbling as you call it is what makes the game fair. If you only had the cards from your deck, people with rare and upgraded creatures would have a dramatic advantage over others. As it stands now "New players can beat older players with the correct strategies", this is what MD fighting should ideally be about. For the competition, that won't change.

After the competition is completed, I could put up a CCG training link that lets you play with different card arrangements such as the one you suggested.

Expect the competition to evolve over time and feel free to make suggestions even if they won't be implemented like this one.

Cheers,

Cutler

After reaching the 100 game limit, I played one game. After that game I can no longer play. I'm at the score page, I click " Let the games begin! " And it takes me to the ctc adding area. And it says:

You cannot edit the deck while you are playing a game.

I go to play, and it takes me to the very last move I did in game 101. Making the only thing I am able to click being the "Winner Yoshi".

It then takes me to the Astral Project scene. I click the lightning bolt, takes me to the score page and repeats the process.

[quote name='Yoshi' date='07 April 2010 - 06:49 AM' timestamp='1270622945' post='57770']
After reaching the 100 game limit, I played one game. After that game I can no longer play. I'm at the score page, I click " Let the games begin! " And it takes me to the ctc adding area. And it says:

You cannot edit the deck while you are playing a game.

I go to play, and it takes me to the very last move I did in game 101. Making the only thing I am able to click being the "Winner Yoshi".

It then takes me to the Astral Project scene. I click the lightning bolt, takes me to the score page and repeats the process.
[/quote]

Once you have played 100 games you can't play anymore until the competition is over.

I have enabled the deck builder page for people who have completed all 100 games and removed the play CCG link so you won't go to the game when you can no longer play.

I also simplified the color scheme. There is now an orange line. People above the orange line are eligible for the WP and people who have played all 100 games are shown in MD red. Finally people eligible for the 1 Gold challenge are shown in gold.

Cheers,

Cutler

I found this beneath the CCG (literally behind the cards, where the location error was before):

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 6291456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 131072 bytes) in /home/magicdue/public_html/dlg/dlg.rpcqdocread.php on line 303

Edited by apophys

The CCG Competition seems to be well underway with over 1,150 games played so far, so I wanted to make sure people know that the competition for this month will end tomorrow April 11th at Midnight server time.

At present the following people are placing for the WP rewards.

MP3 - Manum with 61 wins out of 100 games played
MP4 - Apophys with 59 wins out of 97 games played
MP5 - Manda with 36 wins out of 54 games played

At the end of the day on April 11th the competition will close for this month.

Next month another CCG competition will start again on the 4th of May until the 11th of May.

Expect some minor changes in the AI play to keep things interesting. Most likely the skill level of the AI will be scaled back so there is a more gradual learning curve closer to what was in place when the CCG game was first released. But for the most part the computer AI won't make any more of the "dumb noobie" mistakes people were complaining about previously.

Hopefully people enjoyed this first competition.

Also the three WP winners from this round (decided tomorrow) will be able to play again next month, but will not be eligible for another WP reward.

Cheers,

Cutler