Broken Pattern Puzzle - Invalid Solution

Fyrd Argentus

After hours of work I get reported for "possible illegal activity". What a prize!

Clearly the vectors are not linearly independent and more than one solution exists. So I've found a new one that Mur didn't put on his list of known solutions. Shouldn't that be something special?

If you're usine Internet Explorer, That might be the reason for which.. I also ecnoutered that problem..
Try the same solution and it should work on Firefox..

Edited by Redd

• Root Admin

yeah, i don't have a fixed list of solutions that work. If it works then its valid. That error means somehow the flash did not manage to send the right parameters to the validation script. You should try again preferably without a popup and on a different browser. Not sure why it happens.

Sry to ruin your dreams about finding a new solution ^_^

[quote name='Redd' date='13 March 2010 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1268496719' post='56340']
If you're usine Internet Explorer, That might be the reason for which.. I also ecnoutered that problem..
Try the same solution and it should work on Firefox..
[/quote]
This did NOT behave like a server problem. I allowed the pop-up, and I got one with a message clearly from MD (see attachment).

• Root Admin

[quote name='Fyrd Argentus' date='13 March 2010 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1268518361' post='56363']
This did NOT behave like a server problem. I allowed the pop-up, and I got one with a message clearly from MD (see attachment).
[/quote]

Obviously this WAS a server issue. You only get that message when it checks the solution and it is invalid.

Personally i want to see the popup with the error message. Because what i think you did was photoshop that image together. iv already proven that its simple to make a perfect finished one so your print screen doesnt prove you actually did it.

But as you did it, it will be easy for you to redo it since it takes understanding to complete it. Once you know the method it only takes minutes to copy it... That is if you did the puzzle in the first place.

I did it four times and would be happy to send scans of my notes as proof of solution, as if it was going to help anything. First time with pop-ups blocked, then again immediately with pop-ups allowed temporarily with result as reported (the pop-up was a big white field with one line which I copied and pasted into the attached word document, along with the screen shot). Third time was "later" as a test after reboot and pop-ups turned off, fourth time was with a newer computer running vista, but still internet explorer. Mur and Redd both say IE is the problem - I will have to try with FireFox some day. Since the "invalid solution" says my efforts were reported, you ought to have record of that, anyway. You insult me by saying you think I'm cheating here - why would I do that, and what could I possibly gain from it? By the way, I've reported other puzzle bugs to Cutler, and he had the grace to fix them..

There are multiple issues with running MD through IE, that is just one of them.

[quote]By the way, I've reported other puzzle bugs to Cutler, and he had the grace to fix them..[/quote]I don't want this to be a ganging up on you thread or whatever, but i am curious about this bit....had the "grace" to fix it? and Mur ....doesnt to sort the Broken Pattern/IE thing? Cos that sounds mildly insulting to me, but then it's late and i probably need to sleep at this point.

Well, the way you say it sounds as if you think cutler is someone who has access to the code....He hasn't though, only to his own clickables. The Broken pattern is entirely seperate from that.

As for 4 times, why not just try using firefox once then? Or send the solution to mur and hope he rewards you manually. I'd rather suggest using firefox first though, because that might take very long to happen.

Just to throw a quick word in. My puzzles are completely separate from the broken gazebo puzzle. They are additions to MD I have coded and like any complex piece of code bugs will pop up. If people PM me with an instance of a bug (that they can describe in enough detail so I understand what happened) I will try to fix it for my puzzles.

In almost all cases it is much easier to track down what is happening in Firefox (FF) since it has an error console which tells you exactly what went wrong (if its in the page code). Often though it is just problems with IE and not a problem with the page which is why many people suggest to try running the issue with FF. I am not a fanatic about what browser to use or not use, but many MD related things really do work much better (and more quickly) using FF.

Cheers,

Cutler

• 1 month later...