n00b needs info PLEASE!

Burke

Hey guys,

So I stumbled onto Magic Duel completely by accident, and I've fallen madly in love with it.

But I do. not. understand. it. at. all. :(

I simultaneously love the fact that it's so free and open, and am completely disoriented by it.

Are there specific native races to the MD world? Do I have to choose one of these for an RP character? Am I required to RP? Am I required to do my own character art?

What's the best way for me to solve quests or find clues?

Are there NPCs, or is the world occupied by pre-set triggers and other players only?

How do *you* contact other players inside or outside of the game?

I've noticed there are groups, clans, associations, guilds, what have you. Where are these found? How do you join? How do you choose?

Yeah. So. Tons of basic n00b questions, and I don't know where to look for answers.

Any info you can offer will be appreciated!

Thanks for your time and your attention!

Communication:
in game - click on their name and click on send message that comes with their avatar (some has no avatar)

forum - same like any other forum

Live Help Operators - There is a button on the right of your screen that says that

You can get loads of information from reading the forum, but if you want a more personalised touch, use the LHO button, or go to the park where there will be players there who will answer your questions in chat

Lemme give this a shot as a fellow noob.

[quote name='Burke' timestamp='1298858462' post='79696']
Hey guys,
So I stumbled onto Magic Duel completely by accident, and I've fallen madly in love with it.
But I do. not. understand. it. at. all. :(
I simultaneously love the fact that it's so free and open, and am completely disoriented by it.
[/quote]

This is a common feeling. Don't worry, it's perfectly normal. :D "It's a wonderful world…"

Are there specific native races to the MD world? Do I have to choose one of these for an RP character? Am I required to RP? Am I required to do my own character art?
[/quote]

Nope, there's no specific race. You can be anything that you want to be, though the majority of the beings are human or humanoid at least ;)
There's no requirement stating that you have to RP, but it makes everything a lot more fun and enjoyable. I would recommend trying it. However, you don't need a massive backstory to be a successful RPer, just interact with people! ^_^
You can decide to do your own character art, but it's not required.

[/quote]

Ask around! People will generally point you in the right direction. :) But we don't spoil, so don't try and press for answers to quests or puzzles.

Are there NPCs, or is the world occupied by pre-set triggers and other players only
[/quote]

No NPCs, as far as I've found (Besides the Willow Guards, opening shades, and Loreroot guards). It's all player driven ;)

[/quote]

In game I use private messages by clicking on people's names then clicking the "send message" button. Outside of the game, I either private message through the forum or use an Instant Messaging Client.

I've noticed there are groups, clans, associations, guilds, what have you. Where are these found? How do you join? How do you choose?
[/quote]

Mostly they are found by going to each Land's capitol and clicking on one of the things in it until you get some alliance icons. If you click those, then you get more info on them.
OR
You can find players who are in Alliances (they're the ones with pictures by their names) and clicking the scroll under their name that looks like an upside down V. Generally there is some information in there.
You can join an alliance by speaking to members inside of it and seeing if they want you.
As to how you choose… you just sort of go with whatever one feels right to you! :))

Anyways, I'm sure I've spawned more questions so feel free to keep asking.
If I haven't answered something to your satisfaction tell me so and I'll try again!
Hope this helps! ^_^

Edited by Brulant

Hi, I will try to answer some of the questions you have. Others will certainly come and fill in where I cannot provide an answer.

[i]There are no specific races native to the MD world, in fact back a few years ago no one really played any races. We are just humans (well, there were people who played a dog, but that's 1 in a 1000 :P ). You are not required to choose any race for an RP character, feel free to play just a normal human (taking into account the strange circumstance that our character finds him/herself at the beginning of the story mode). There are no requirement to RP, at least not in the sense of traditional RP games where you need to play a completely different character. Play a role, not a character! There is an avatar shop that you can access so you are not required to make your own character art, however you can also choose to do one yourself and it might be approved to be used as your own personal avatar.[/i]

[i]Really depends on the type of quests, but mostly either asking around (there are some quests that would require you to do so, be careful as some quest creator may prohibit this and see it as cheating though. Just make sure with the quest giver 1st) or internet research/googling.[/i]

Are there NPCs, or is the world occupied by pre-set triggers and other players only?
[i]There are a very small number of NPCs that you can fight (for just one battle each), but 99% of the game is player interaction.[/i]

[i]You can private message a player, however to do so you need to click on their name, meaning you have to meet the person first. You don't need to see the person directly though, players leave 'footprints'; their name will stay on a spot for a few hours after they pass. You can also click on that footprint and you will be able to choose to message them. Once they replied, you can keep their PM so you can reply to them again anytime.
Another method is by contacting the person via this forum's PM feature, that is, if that player checks the forum often though.[/i]

[i]You join by contacting the member of the group and applying (or applying on their subforum). You can see a brief description of these guilds/alliances on the subforum for each of them. Do note that most groups have a criteria for accepting people, and here we have a mentality that people should join only if they are interested in the guilds/alliances' cause, not just for the sake of being in an alliance. There really isn't much [/i]other advantage you get by joining one and there are risks involved, so don't rush to join one unless you are sure you're gonna like being in there.

Yeah. So. Tons of basic n00b questions, and I don't know where to look for answers.
[i]Don't worry, we're all new once, and you'll find a lot of people willing to help around here :)[/i]

Well, I'm not exactly a veteran, but I do seem to be the first one to see your post (unless someone else is typing as I speak and posts before me - [b]Edit - three replies posted while I was typing. You're a hot topic![/b]) so I will answer to the best of my ability.

Re: Specific races to the MD world.
No. You can be whatever you want to be. There certainly are angiens and drachorns and knators and grasans and other types of creatures you will find in your travels. That said, players are include humans and faeries and spiders and yetis and even formless intangibles. You are only limited by your imagination.

Re: Roleplay
You are not required to do anything. You will find that a great many people in MD get very involved in RP and the game and community is based off that roleplay. You are certainly encouraged to find and develop your role. It's a close-knit community and people will know who you are.

Re: Character Art
You will eventually be able to select an avatar from a group of approx. 500 avatars currently available. You can also draw your own avatars and submit them to be your own avatar or to be sold to the avatar pool for credits. Other art that you do will be valued and many players post elements of their art on their player pages (seen as little documents when you click on players names). You will find your own player pages as you explore the realm.

Re: Quests
There are a few in-game quests, most of which you will begin in the Paper Cabin. Most quests, however, are player created. These quests can be found in a number of places. There is a quest page here on the forum. Some players have a quest page among their player pages, which detail active quests. You will find some quests just by clicking in the right place. One suggestion would be the hut at heresy lane. There are also a number of players who have built tutorial quests for new players like yourself. I highly recommend you visit with Mya Celestia at the Paper Cabin and ask her to begin her tutorial quest.

Re: NPCs
This game is occupied by players and pre-set triggers. Some of these triggers could be considered NPCs (like the fellow who gives you player pages), but generally this is a game filled with players. At one point there were RPCs (roleplay characters) who were players filling an NPC role, but that has not been the case for as long as I have played (about 6 months).

Re: Contact
Players can be contacted in-game by on screen dialog or with messages. If you click a players name, you will see an option to send them a message along with the rest of their information. Here on the forum there is a way to contact players you do not see in-game. Some players have different forum accounts than player names, so you just need to make sure you know who you're looking for.

Re: Alliances and Guilds
Alliances are the official grouping system in MD and joining an alliance is a big step. First off, when you have joined an alliance, you can be attacked by any member of any other alliance, even if they belong to a higher mind power level and are far more (or less) powerful. Alliances give certain bonuses and alter your gameplay in a variety of different ways. I can't speak too much about alliances because I have never belonged to one. Alliance membership is denoted with a tag and an image accompanying a player's name and information. Choosing an alliance is a very important step in determining your place in the community and alliance jumping will not win you many friends. There are other loose groupings like guilds which are more informal and connect players with common cause or friendship. There is also land citizenship, which can come with an alliance or by directly contacting the king and asking permission to become a citizen. The king will likely require you to convince them that you deserve to be a citizen. Finally, there are also knowledge collections. These are documents shared between groups of players and I know next to nothing about this, having joined none and been granted access to very few.

If you have any other questions, I will answer as best I can. Be well friend and welcome to MagicDuel!

Edited by Rumi

Welcome to the wonderful world of MD.

I think most of the detailed answers have been given before, but as a fellow n00b myself (less than 1 month old), I would like to add my 2cts.

To enjoy this game the most, don't ask too many questions at the beginning. Just explore it like a newborn you are. Be patient, read carefully the hints that pop up at top right of the screen.
Explore, see what you get to do.
Explore, talk to people you meet.
Explore, see what you have missed the previous time you,ve explored that location.

After a while you will be able to set some goals to yourself. And that will open new possibilities, and you will explore more and discover more. And then you will decide what you want to do next. Not all players have the same goal in MD. It's so open and free that possibilities are really huge.

Good luck!

Thank you all very much for your input and your advice!

I gather from many of your responses that I might be "jumping the gun" a bit by trying to set down rules where there are none. It's good to know that I haven't missed anything and that I'm "doing it right" by not exactly knowing what I'm supposed to be doing. :)

I have a feeling I'll be around for a while.. this is an intriguing game and I'm very glad I found it.

Thanks again for your replies!

[quote name='Fyrd Argentus' timestamp='1298915875' post='79724']
Welcome, Burke.

One word of advice - try not to claim to have supernatural powers that you can't back up with actual game mechanics [s]or strong role-playing in chat.[/s] It looks silly.
[/quote]
+1 to what fyrd said. Well, I'd personally go a step further and scratch the strong roleplaying in chat part, as anyone can roleplay having a power. But all talk but no mechanics supporting behind it is totally silly IMHO.

[quote name='Udgard' timestamp='1298952187' post='79762']
+1 to what fyrd said. Well, I'd personally go a step further and scratch the strong roleplaying in chat part, as anyone can roleplay having a power. But all talk but no mechanics supporting behind it is totally silly IMHO.
[/quote]

Agreed! I've gamed with far too many a Mary Sue - and my desire for attention in-game is pretty much equal to my desire for attention out-of-game: I like to be present, but not necessarily the focus of anything.

Besides which, I've never understood the appeal of pretending to be perfect, all-powerful, or impressive. If someone else happens to think I'm any of these things, good for them - the delusional sods ;) - but in all likelihood they'll see me for what I am.

• 3 weeks later...

1. The names that appear in grey are people who have recently visited your location. You can PM those people in the normal way. You can also reply to old messages or get a friends list from the MDShop.

2. In your creature page, there is a referal link above your creatures, the CTC section is right near that, the link says "here"

[quote name='Pipstickz' timestamp='1300498495' post='80861']
1. The names that appear in grey are people who have recently visited your location. You can PM those people in the normal way. You can also reply to old messages or get a friends list from the MDShop.

2. In your creature page, there is a referal link above your creatures, the CTC section is right near that, the link says "here"
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. But that means that if I don't know where the person I want to contact is, then I can't contact 'em?

• Root Admin

[quote name='Wolfram' timestamp='1300521400' post='80875']
Thanks for the advice. But that means that if I don't know where the person I want to contact is, then I can't contact 'em?
[/quote]

Yes, This isnt likely to change since Mur (the creator) once said (i think) that he likes the fact you can only contact someone if you find them, already have a pm from them, or have previously met them and added them to your friends list.