Viscosity Thread

Burns

How about this - viscosity builds up at some fixed rate, like now, but it goes DOWN whenever ap is used to overcome it. Once.

So a +40 viscosity spot burns 41ap then it is cleared down to -1.

Moving through a normal 1 ap space that is clear knocks it down 1 more viscoisty point each time anybody moves through -- forget this noise about once per hour.

My thoughts as a new player: Viscosity is extremely annoying and seems to only discourage exploring, which seems to be the main point of Magic Duel (at least at my stage in the game). All of the early quests I am working on are requiring me to explore new places, which I am really enjoying. However, most of these places are costing 40 AP to move one screen and I regenerate 30 every 12 minutes. So, I can move 3-4 screens per hour. While I was warned that Magic Duel is a slower paced game than I'm used to, this seems a bit ridiculous. Especially when the quests keep wanting me to go places where I have to wade through the viscosity (like the MDA Gardens).

Honestly, Magic Duel is already a bit frustrating for new players to figure out (since it's so different). I'm planning on continuing to figure it out, but I can see a lot of people giving up on it when they get stuck while exploring.

[quote name='Thrawny' timestamp='1310480755' post='87731']
My thoughts as a new player: Viscosity is extremely annoying and seems to only discourage exploring, which seems to be the main point of Magic Duel (at least at my stage in the game). All of the early quests I am working on are requiring me to explore new places, which I am really enjoying. However, most of these places are costing 40 AP to move one screen and I regenerate 30 every 12 minutes. So, I can move 3-4 screens per hour. While I was warned that Magic Duel is a slower paced game than I'm used to, this seems a bit ridiculous. Especially when the quests keep wanting me to go places where I have to wade through the viscosity (like the MDA Gardens).

Honestly, Magic Duel is already a bit frustrating for new players to figure out (since it's so different). I'm planning on continuing to figure it out, but I can see a lot of people giving up on it when they get stuck while exploring.
[/quote]

Hmmm Thrawny has a point - while most of us after a few months know where high viscosity may be expected and can find in-game occupations for the time, new players have mini-Tribunal every step of the way. Moreover, with new MP6 rules there will be less MP6s to heal new pleyers before they learn how to live without permanent healing.
Would it be possible to make regen timer 3x faster for MP3s? It would make it clear that MP3 is learning game basics and world exploration level.

The concept of viscosity has not been implemented as I foresaw. Currently, a player can enter a high viscosity area because the surrounding areas are of low viscosity, because it costs base AP + viscosity of current location to move. However, if locked locations are to be unlocked and allow viscosity guard them only, players may be able to enter these locations far too easily.

One solution to this would be that to move it costs base AP + viscosity of destination. Therefore locations with high viscosity would become inaccessible via the regular way.

The way I foresaw viscosity working was that to move it would cost base AP + ((viscosity of current location + viscosity of destination) / 2). This allows high viscosity to protect certain areas but with enough teamwork, players can lower the resultant AP cost between the two locations because viscosity would be calculated as an average between the two locations.
For example, location A and location B are connected by an arrow. Location B was previously a locked location but has now been unlocked with a max viscosity of +100. Location B's viscosity is currently at +98. Location A's viscosity is at 0. Base AP cost of the arrow is 40AP. Therefore current cost of moving from A to B is 40 AP + ((0 VISC + +98 VISC) / 2) = 87AP. Difficult for most players to access.
However if players worked together to reduce location A's viscosity... Location A's viscosity is reduced to -60. A few players with high AP have been able to get into location B; reducing it's viscosity to +70. Therefore movement cost is 40AP + ((-60VISC + +70 VISC) / 2) = 45AP. Now more players can access location B further reducing it's viscosity and effectively breaking the natural seal of the location; until the location falls again into disuse.

The above is completely hypothetical of how I would wish to see the concept develop. The example given has no current relevance, just how I thought it would work from Mur's explanation of viscosity locking locations.

Edited by The Warrior