Viscosity Thread

Burns

Currently, viscosity increases way too fast imo. Specially in places that are not accessible to everybody, the AP-cost goes up like mad. It's quite hard to keep routes open singlehandedly when you have to walk them every 6 hours to stop visc from eating you alive -.-
I'm thinking about places like Oak-Tower, GG laboratory, Fenth's Wielder, Tunnel of War etc.

But right now, viscosity increases so fast that one person alone can't even stop it, let alone decrease it. I've been at Storm Docks at the time i posted, with viscosity +20, now i returned, 90 minutes later, to find visc +22.
In generally locked places, this means visc will always be on +40, even when you take a walk there every single hour. That's just too much.

I'm sure viscosity is being worked on as I write this, but still thought I should mention this.
It seems I saw viscosity rise from -12 to + 14 in the Trial of Agony today in less than two hours.

(does give some extra meaning to the place :P )

Edited by Azull

• Root Admin

there is still a problem with the way it regenerates, i will look into it later tonight if i can. I am not sure what exactly the problem is.
There are two timers that decide when it icreases but it seams they are working mixed and i cant tell which one is wrong, would be helpful if you(any) of you could tell me at what intervals exactly does it increase. For that you will need to go in remote places so that nobody goes through the observed location by accident. thnx.

00:20 28
00:25 28
[color="#FF0000"]00:30 30[/color]
00:35 30
00:40 30
00:45 30
00:50 30
00:55 30
[color="#FF0000"]01:00 32[/color]
01:05 32
01:10 32
01:15 32
01:20 32
01:25 32
[color="#FF0000"]01:30 34[/color]
01:35 34
Tested in a remote location in the maze. 2 with every full and half hour.

Just now, Knaty's vacation house, outside the arrow says 160-28 (negative viscosity) but upon entering, the screen says local viscosity is +34.

I did get in on normal ap, so the former figure is probably what was executed.

4 per hour is not exactly better than 2 per 30 minutes <.<

Maybe it needs to be considered to give different places a different timer. Right now, the highways all constantly have -40, and everything else constantly has +40. One person crossing a scene per hour is nothing in No man's and Marinds, but in the maze, the MDA gardens and such... You never get such a rate, especially not once the viscosity increases.
The announcement said that the intention was to make rarely visited places less accessible, but does 'less than once per hour' qualify for rarely enough to be almost inaccessible?

I think i got a bad understanding on how a player influences viscosity: to me a player entering a location decreases viscosity by 4. Which means, he should see no more than +36 visc after entering the place. However viscosity was +40 in Champions Dome right after I got in.

Also, there was a player idling there, which makes me believe the viscosity should ahve been lower than +40 anyway...

Anyone care to explain to my weak mind?

Thanks!

It decreases when you leave, not when you enter. It did decrease when people entered the scene before, but that didn't work perfectly for some reasons. So, idlers can't decrease viscosity now, and it only decreases when you leave a place, not when you come.

to me the change happen way to often. I am trying to go between places in golemus and find i can only move 2 steps before my AP is gone.
Golemus is not traveled often and the system is a great idea but the difficulty of movement is a hassle.

could we not have this change happen once ever 12 hours on location like this?
as if i travel all of golemus (that will take half a day to do) then log off and come back the next day
I have to do the same chore again

Personally, I think instead of viscosity per location, it might be better viscosity per groups of location (for most places) instead. Majority of "normal" locations within the realm could be grouped under one viscosity, with separate viscosity sets for hard-to reach locations. So for isolated places like Necro and golemus, the high AP costs would be applied on entry to the area via the "gate", but once inside movement becomes easier. Special location sets could then exist inside, such as inner kelletha as one group, oak tower interior as one group, inner necro as one group etc.

I like the current solution. Seems like the idea to help fight viscosity is to generate some economy in the realm based on multiple guilds and resources to be gathered - some in distant lands. I would like it more to make exploring rewarding to all (some auto pick-up resource)

At the moment viscosity increases way to fast in the remote areas, and is constantly at -40 in the more crowded areas. Perhaps rather than dividing the world in places with faster and places with slower growing viscosity it would be better to make viscosity increase faster when its lower and increase slower when it's high.

[quote name='samon' timestamp='1310395106' post='87609']
At the moment viscosity increases way to fast in the remote areas, and is constantly at -40 in the more crowded areas. Perhaps rather than dividing the world in places with faster and places with slower growing viscosity it would be better to make viscosity increase faster when its lower and increase slower when it's high.
[/quote]

Hmm, instead of making Land citizenship adjust the viscosity of a land, I wonder if "times visited" could be used somehow. Perhaps a cube-root or such, so that visitng a place very often would reduce the overall Viscosity as it currently does, Plus adjust your own movement there by a small amount. Having a square-root or larger-root modification would prevent things from getting too easy and 'diminishing returns' to make larger adjustments harder to gain... (math folks can suggest appropriate algorithms here, but hopefully you understand the reasoning).
Otherwise, I agree, that gaining two points an hour, and only losing 4 points when a character walks through, it is currently a losing battle for my alt to even try "Saving a scene" as the regen counter must refill twice for every two steps I take, preventing a reduction in the Viscosity of a scene for longer than a few minutes before it also "regenerates".