tip about aged creatures

Muratus del Mur

• Root Admin

Aged creatures might become more valuable than they are now. If you plan to sac them now it might be a good idea to wait a bit longer and see what i mean. This is not an announcement because idk when or how exactly they will become more valuable, but its a 'tip'. The age of creatures needs to become more valuable in terms of its influence to other things in the realm, to balance certain other more recent developments.

For those that enjoy seeing md in terms of a fine balance of interacting factors, i can give them a clue. Shared items do not require player age but give the power to handle resources, breaking any connection between a players age and its amount/value of his items....

As the new feature seems to be still in idea phase maybe there is still some time to reconsider...
Balance is a fine concept - but as it is I believe MD is very much inbalanced towards geriatry already. There were quite a few major developments that were basically closing the door wide open so far: drachs, angiens, top crits levels.... Also, crits aging independent from character aging. They all create situation, where activity is secondary to the characted registration time. I understand one reason is to help MD build its own identity and myths, based on players that are active the longest.
You are right - resources changed the balance a bit, they may change economy more - we shall see. Still, no amount of resources gathered and currently available cauldron goods will buy a single drach old players have abundance of...
I am enthusiast of making crits more unique (like: registering their number of wins, transfer history - see new ideas section).... but I do not like the idea of rewarding just the fact that somebody recruiited them very long time ago.... It's further inbalancing the game towards age vs activity.
Unless the hinted development is a part of a major change rewarding activity too.

Edited by xrieg

• Root Admin

[quote name='xrieg' timestamp='1315080451' post='91341']
As the new feature seems to be still in idea phase maybe there is still some time to reconsider...
Balance is a fine concept - but as it is I believe MD is very much inbalanced towards geriatry already. There were quite a few major developments that were basically closing the door wide open so far: drachs, angiens, top crits levels.... Also, crits aging independent from character aging. They all create situation, where activity is secondary to the characted registration time. I understand one reason is to help MD build its own identity and myths, based on players that are active the longest.
You are right - resources changed the balance a bit, they may change economy more - we shall see. Still, no amount of resources gathered and currently available cauldron goods will buy a single drach old players have abundance of...
I am enthusiast of making crits more unique (like: registering their number of wins, transfer history - see new ideas section).... but I do not like the idea of rewarding just the fact that somebody recruiited them very long time ago.... It's further inbalancing the game towards age vs activity.
Unless the hinted development is a part of a major change rewarding activity too.
[/quote]

you relise nearly ALL the drachs that were recruited, were killed off becuase mur didnt want them to be that easily available. As an old player, Not one who has a lot of coin, I disagree totally, Because some of the newer guys have much better, older and rarer creatures than me. As an example, My first drach was won in a quest, This was after MANY people younger than me had drachs, darks, windy's. Because i am not a trader, i dont move around my creatures for maximum profit and dont have the cash to buy stuff.

Eon isnt old, but he has all these cool creatures. Nearly every festival and christmas TONS of creatures are given out, many to people who then dont survive the next year in MD. I dont see your point at all.
As for your point "register date is more important than activity" i only see creature age as that being effective, Since you clearly dont know about what we had avalile back then, And if mur said he might make it more important? so what? I read this as an idea, a thought of his. You relise that 4 years ago Mur said that he "though" Chapter three would be released?

Perspective and actually finding out some infomation before making sweeping foolish judgements are needed Xrieg, You are a nice guy, But damn you complain.

xrieg, I've been here 1052 days and I have one GG drach. Yoshi has about half of my active days (522) and he has two or three, as well as a morph and I'm sure other goodies. I have about 20 gold and I doubt I could buy a drach, because nobody wants to sell them. YOU should consider yourself lucky, because unlike every other younger player you were chosen to collect memory stones, so you have a way to get coins.

I have to partially agree with xreig. Since with the latest developments the door has been closed on many things (I'm not saying it's wrong !!) including the angines (people who take there own time to develop crits has a distinct disadvantage because now to upgrade these one needs to be MP6) and dracs (I have one I must say).... I think it is closing the door on the newbies who actually cannot spend much. I'm 928 old and I don't have any thing rare than the drac that I got from DeathRing before he left the game. So unless the age issue balances out properly it should not hand a distinct advantage to the vets. Because I'm off the view that vets are overly powerful in MD which is not what this game advertises.

Edited by Synex

Hmm are we talking game concept or who has bigger... drach? With proper selection of particular examples one can 'prove' about anything. And yes - I am filthy rich newbie all considered and _not_ complaining about my poverty.
To summarize as my previous post was apparently too long:
In my opinion MD is already strongly rewarding those who registered long time ago (crits aging, limiting access to powerful crits or their expansion) and no further developments in this respects are necessary.

Quite obviously such developments are necessary, because people get rich and strong very fast and forget to do anything for the community on the way.

Undoubtedly you consider yourself very active, with all that being online and grinding away the day. But how many quests have you created? How many events managed? How often did you do something to move the realm?

Some people spend a lot of time with MD and create something interesting and worthwhile, not just their own stats. These should get rewarded for their continued effort, and not just the people who spend a whole lot of time with their stats and alts. And beyond doubt, rewarding age promotes this cause very well. For example, Metal Bunny has done the most exquisite quests you could find, Awii writes brilliant stories, Tarquinus does poems and event management. A whole lot of time the server can't track because they are not even online when working for MD. People spend weeks with hardly any online time, and still do a lot more than all the grinders together. These get their share of the pie with age rewards.

There are alot MD player who are not able to play more than a fee hours per day, so why should anything be shifted to the side of "reward activity" more than it actually already is. I would say activity is already the most rewarded aspect in MD. So if you push MD more into the direction -> "who is sitting most of his time in front of his computer get most rewarded" MD would be a "game" like all the others out there. I played several MMORPGS over the last 9 years and without exception the activity was the most rewarded aspect ingame. Well there is nothing wrong with it, but if it´s possible to have a balance in this issue it would be much more efficient and satisfying for all the casual players too.

Activity is the most important factor in MD but from my point of view it should no be push any more into this direction.

Menhir

[quote name='Burns' timestamp='1315120870' post='91386']
Some people spend a lot of time with MD and create something interesting and worthwhile, not just their own stats. These should get rewarded for their continued effort, and not just the people who spend a whole lot of time with their stats and alts. And beyond doubt, rewarding age promotes this cause very well.
[/quote]
Consider all cases. Crits are collectible items and battle crits. Old crits are valuable currently in both categories. It generates warehousing alts - storing crits to allow them to age. For quests rewards, later play, alt abuse, whatever. Also every now and then some old player surfaces - with no recollections how to set up rits but with maxed drachs and angiens - that can get easily very difficult to beat for new players with comparable number of AD and activity. Is is current status (and do not imply I complain about it - I attempt to decribe my doubts only about the hinted new development). The described development would only make matters more pronounced. People you mentioned - active players - will also benefit.... I take it you consider recent changes - WP for days - unimportant.
Final note... You write about contributions (to MD cummunity)... It seems to me MD community is shrinking - despite all effort: ads, LHO etc. See events and quests turnover (WP-grade quests - before WP inflation - 2-3 participants). MB list of legends has more names than current number of active players. I do not think another development making it more difficult for new players to compete against older players will help here

[quote name='xrieg' timestamp='1315157984' post='91436'] It seems to me MD community is shrinking - despite all effort: ads, LHO etc. ....[/quote]

The complexness of MD is from my point of view the biggest problem if you try to understand why it´s so hard to get new players. I speak from my own experience. It´s now close to 1 year that MD found me and I have to admit it was a long and hard birth and still I´m not 100% sure if we are really fitting together. I can imagine alot new player feel the same way. There are so many different things you have to learn until you reach the point where you feel something we normaly call "fun", wich I doubt is the aim of Mur´s creation. But most of humanity is depending on this feeling. If you don´t enjoy doing something you will stop doing it, and you will start looking into a different direction. MD is not a game but I thought it was and I believe other people think in the same way. So if you put new player´s into this discussion it´s not about aged creatures any longer ... this comes much later. This whole topic is interesting for aged players, cause we are talking about aged crits. New Player are not interested in compete with the older ones, they have to find out what all this is about and there we have things like "sorry this would be a spoiler" or the "elite" - feeling you get easily as a noob if you meet some of the aged folks. The whole creation get more complex every day wich is on one side very good but on the other side of the coin harder to tune in ... but this turns into an offtopic direction now so I better stop here.

Have a nice time.

Menhir

[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]MD [i]is[/i] a game. this need to prove otherwise proves vice versa... the other thing is what you take from the game to your real life...[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]while i do agree with Burns that you should award dedicated players to keep the game alive, to keep traditions, to keep history - you won't keep it alive without pupil having possibilities to excel their masters. we have enough dead culture examples of this sort. now all the ideas i've heard except Xrieg's sounds like Greek mythology - God's are immortal, people... well, they're people. guess what? it's sort of dead...[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Xrieg is right. you can award elders, just make it achievable for everybody, not like the old joke of sort "we are opening tomorrow"... and there are already enough of that, just most of them even without "we are opening"...[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]in short - this game is totally newbie unfriendly. players might be (might be not), but the game is NOT. and it moves the same direction. old community tends to die (not in direct meaning, of course).[/font][/size]

[quote name='Pipstickz' timestamp='1315205088' post='91468']
Yes, but we don't even know what Mur is planning OR how it will work, so why are we arguing so much without even discussing the topic at hand?
[/quote]

Agree. We should stop or we will hear Mur´s loud laugthing soon in our ears.

Everything changes all the time, so nobody needs to be afriad off, including myself of course.

All the best.

Menhir

[quote name='Pipstickz' timestamp='1315205088' post='91468']
Yes, but we don't even know what Mur is planning OR how it will work, so why are we arguing so much without even discussing the topic at hand?
[/quote]
Aye, remember what happened when he introduced the idea of creatures keeping experience on transfer, and then how that ended up working in the end.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Kyphis the Bard' timestamp='1315228873' post='91479']
Aye, remember what happened when he introduced the idea of creatures keeping experience on transfer, and then [b]how that ended up working in the end.[/b]
[/quote]

You mean, that ended well in your opinion?

[quote name='Kyphis the Bard' timestamp='1315446068' post='91699']
Yes, I do think that the MP level requirements for creature advancement is a good idea.
[/quote]

No I do not think its a good idea. All this thing did was to make the super active and stat grinders such as the frequent GGG super privileged.

• 11 months later...

Nothing happened yet regarding creature age. Most shared items nowadays require landloyalty though, which I see ass an advanced form of age, so perhaps the increased value of age is no longer needed.