Socially Accepted Resource Depletion

ChildOfTheSoul

Last night, I decided I would harvest some lumber. I'm not very practiced in gathering resources, I was just using a lumber saw that had been lent to me for a short period of time. Assuming that the goal was to avoid completely depleting a scene, I made sure to leave at least 1 of the resource that I was harvesting.

I thought I was doing a service, but apparently dropping it down to dangerously low levels like that is as frowned upon in most circles as completely depleting a scene, and got a few scary messages due to my misconduct.

I made this thread in hopes of establishing a benchmark that others can view to possibly avoid my situation, and to help them learn what is considered proper execution of harvesting resources.

I have heard from quite a few now that 66% is the appropriate amount to drop it to, at most. Can this be agreed upon? Is there anything else I should know before I try to gather resources again?

Edited by ChildOfTheSoul

It is adviced to leave a decent amount of recource not harvested, in order for the resource to regenerate daily faster for everyone to harvest that resource.

If you cut down production to 1/30, it won't regenerate much the next day. Whilst if you have 15/30 the next day there will be more again if not at max.

Your case was frowned upon because you did that in the resources of the land you are part of. Discuss it better with those of your land, come down to a solution as to what amount is accepted to be gathered.

The Dowsers in MB have done the same, keeping their water in normal amounts. In the Land of the East they had decided what was the appropriate amount of harvesting. For recources that can be taken only by those of the land, I am sure you can come up with a good plan.

Yes, I read it a couple more times after you mentioned it. It was never my intention to do anything malevolent, I believe that is clear by now. It is, however, my fault because I did not pay enough attention. I should have asked around before I began gathering resources. I just don't want anyone else making the same mistake. :)

[color=#808080][i]the amount of regenerated resource is 1/3rd of what is left ( by exactly 1/4th of a resource if depleted to zero)[/i][/color]
[color=#808080][i]if there's 1 left: next day it will be 2 (the fractions show only if resource is depleted to zero).[/i][/color]
[color=#808080][i]if there's half left: next day will be ~75% (15/30 -> 23/30)[/i][/color]
[color=#808080][i]if there's 2/3rds left: next day it's maxed (20/30 -> 30/30)[/i][/color]

[color=#808080][i]it's everyone's best interest to leave it between the 50%-66%[/i][/color]

[color=#808080][i]unless someone is a greedy Scrooge kind of person and wants the resources depleted... [/i][/color]

[i][color=#a9a9a9][size=2]edit:[/size][/color][/i]
[i][color=#A9A9A9][size=2]lol, 5 posts were written when I had the reply post opened :P[/size][/color][/i]

Edited by Shemhazaj

[quote name='Atrumist' timestamp='1325868245' post='100140']
How about the herrrrrbs??
[/quote]

if its in loreroot territory it falls under the same law as all other resources.
[b]To[/b][b] respect the forest itself and its bounty[/b]
No resources in the forest should be reduced to below half its capacity. In times of need you may petition the king to have this rule stayed, but you should only take in this manner once clear permission is given.

[quote][color=#808080][i]it[/i][/color][color=#808080][i]'s everyone's best interest to leave it between the 50%-66%[/i][/color][/quote]

I would recommend no less than 66% simply because there are more then. I don't harvest them beneath that.

And Golemus citizens (as well as Loreroot citizens) are emphasized not to deplete resources in other lands as well, so I apply the laws stated above to anywhere else. It would be nice if others would as well, including in places not in your land (such as Tribunal or MDA)

[b]"To be an ambassador for the land:[/b]
Golemus citizens are expected to apply these laws beyond Golemus."

People do care,
But until herbbaskets become only usable by lorerootians, there isn't much that can be done against the biggest depleter of them all.
Another way would be to allow landlaws also aply to non-citizens when they enter a land, and be subject to punishment by the ruler of that land when they break the land laws

[color=#808080][i]Atrumist, the fact that some people don't care and that the baskets are free for all to take doesn't mean no one cares...[/i][/color]
[color=#808080][i]there have been several forum topics on herbs(or general) depletion already[/i][/color]
[color=#808080][i]there has been an action when people left notes "leave the herbs to grow" and such.[/i][/color]
[color=#808080][i]the fact that it didn't change anything and such action failed doesn't mean no one cares...[/i][/color]

By "no-one" I not meant to the letter, in general people has not still developed proper conscience (or order) regarding to the herbs depletion, but they are just using them in ad-hoc manner. Off course , always will be exceptions out there so don't take it personally.

You do realize that Eon's desire for herb baskets means you can movelock her before the items return, use the land cleanser to move her out of the pickup point, and then since she doesn't want to miss out on baskets you can go crazy with the needle, don't you? And in the meantime, if you organize yourselves, you can also collect all the baskets so Eon can't take any.

Then Eon doesn't have a basket and is needled.

Complain all you want, the tools for this sort of thing have existed for a very long time now. All you have to do is organize yourselves.

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

the land cleanser can only move eon back 1 screen, and only when you win. Which is impossible for 99% of the people.

When you lose, he will be locked in place for 60 secs,. A prospect that is not frightening to anyone.
And eon is in an alliance. meaning he can only be attacked every 10-12 minutes.
(and the landcleanser might be bugged, not working, still need to test some more),
All in all the landcleanser is not usable on eon. And I'm not sure if its effective at all in defending a land. 1 scene back, waiting for the time out to attack again that person, means your target can easily pass you combined with the delay in chat for a person to show up.

[quote name='Tal' timestamp='1325869334' post='100148']
People do care,
But until herbbaskets become only usable by lorerootians, there isn't much that can be done against the biggest depleter of them all.
Another way would be to allow landlaws also aply to non-citizens when they enter a land, and be subject to punishment by the ruler of that land when they break the land laws
[/quote]
Herb baskets only usable by Lorerootians? When herbs were introduced, Mur said in the forum thread that herbs were meant to be available to anybody. I haven't heard anything that would suggest that is going to change. Land laws applying to everybody would be ridiculous. Different lands' laws contradict each other in a bunch of ways, an obvious one being any rule about torch competition, you have to walk in another land to score. Another would be protector laws and behavior laws and such. I'm not a robot to be reprogrammed by the ruler of the places I walk.

Edited by Pipstickz

la
[quote name='Pipstickz' timestamp='1325888854' post='100185']
Land laws applying to everybody would be ridiculous.
[/quote]

What is ridiculous about the laws of the land not applying to a non citizen when he is in that land.
When you move/visit another land, the laws of that land apllies to you as long as you stay in that land., even if you want it or not. Those laws not applying to people not from a land, but still staying inside the land is ridiculous.

[quote]I want herbs to be the most accessible resource[/quote]
taken from the herbs thread,
It doesnt say anything about it being available to anyone. only the most accessible one. Could as well mean the lots of large patches of herbs as it is now.
Making herbbaskets loreroot only would fit with the tools of other lands.

[quote name='lone wolf pup' timestamp='1325893453' post='100192']
Only citizens of the land can be punished by land laws however, anyone else can't be touched by the laws they are breaking. Taken from the Eon/yrth incident.
[/quote]

and that is the problem. You should be able to punish those who are inside your land if they break the law, regardles if they are citizens or not. If you break it and can get out of the land, your free, but when you go back in you would be a fugitive in that land risking punishment.