Announcements Projects

Chewett

• Root Admin

The announcements Project is moving on, and again i am leaning towards moving it all onto the wikia.

The current idea for this is:

Each announcement gets its own Wikia page, with title: "Announcement <ID OF ANNOUNCEMENT>"

Then it would quote the announcement, And include a part for a summation of it.

Categories would be added based on stage, priority (the colour of it) and type.

Any Comments on this? I have a script to add all of the pages to the site automatically so dont need to do it manually, And it will also be able to do large scale changes based on if we want to change format and such.

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1328532315' post='103631']
Categories would be added based on…type.
[/quote]

You might mean this, or have this in mind already, but we could have a 'Table of Contents'-ish page that groups similar ones together with links to the full announcement page? Group all of the announcements that deal with elections together, or Christmas, trading regulations, legal cases, the MD Birthday, random acts of Mur… Just something so it's easy to go to the page and find all of the similar announcements. That would be nice.

Edited by Brulant

• Root Admin

if you look here: http://magicduel.wikia.com/wiki/Chewett

You can see at the bottom there is various catagories such as: http://magicduel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Forum_Moderator

These catagories allow dividing announcements into various groups. Currently i have already grouped a number of announcements into various catagories such as:
Heads Contest
Torch Contest
BugFix
Feature
Annnouncement
Punishment

Which would allow looking specifically at all punishments, or HC results.

These catagories would be easily changed based on further discussion among people who wish to help at the wikia and the community.

This means you can look at all the similar announcements and such.

[quote name='Seigheart' timestamp='1328533557' post='103632']
That would be awesome.

However, would Ctrl + F still work? Or would there be a decent search engine for the site? (haven't been on since it first came out so I don't know)
[/quote]

I think the search engine on the site works "pretty well", if you find any problems with it tell me, although i cant do anything, i can submit bug reports to them.

There would also be a page that would link to every announcement, with a small summation of it, meaning you could search for key words and find announcements related to it.

Well, there are quite a few announcements and only a few pages on the wiki. Wouldn't this kill the random page function? I picture myself always jumping to a random announcement page. Other than that, I think it would be a good idea to move them over to the wiki.

You say you want them moved, and not duplicated? Meaning they'd be removed from the site and placed on the wiki?

• Root Admin

[quote name='ChildOfTheSoul' timestamp='1328542937' post='103641']
Well, there are quite a few announcements and only a few pages on the wiki. Wouldn't this kill the random page function? I picture myself always jumping to a random announcement page. Other than that, I think it would be a good idea to move them over to the wiki.
[/quote]

Yes that is something that i was wondering about, 2100 pages will obliterate the random function.

[quote name='ChildOfTheSoul' timestamp='1328542937' post='103641']
You say you want them moved, and not duplicated? Meaning they'd be removed from the site and placed on the wiki?
[/quote]

No, really i was thinking of copying them over regularly, I have written scripts to parse it and format it.

It's massive, would need constantly updating, grouping, mentioning which announcements are outdated or irrelevant/wrong (that'd be individual looking, checking, editing). Oh and also linking to other pages from them.

If done ~right~ then great, but to do right it'd optimistically take several months I'd reckon.

I've already created a summary of all the announcements that deal with rules and rule related technical changes, so it would be a fairly quick process to state which ones where currently outdated/irrelevant. Linking would take a long time, yes, although you could do it automatically useing keywords for the most part.

Its a big project, but I think the majority of the hard stuff is already done.

now wouldnt puttin [b]all[/b] announcements on wiki be kind of useless, since like almost 10% of them are usual system announcements that say things like hc started, second hc phase started, torch started, spells reset, items reset, and things like that, imo those can be cut out which will reduce good amount of things needed to put up there, however result announcements from hc and tc should be put up, as for all those unneeded announcement, ya could make one article of each type, and then just list its number, date and time, ie its header, rather than makin article for each one of those announcements separately

and... umm addin festival category would be good? afterall there are bunch of festival announcements and xmas and similar festive event like announcements

• Root Admin

The idea is to have a comprehensive list, so that various pages can cite the specific announcement regardig it. The idea would be to use some of the infomation in specific pages such as one showing all of the TC winners and such.