SERVER ISSUE

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to donate as I have 40$ which is actually 20 pounds I can spend but my mum won't put it on het PayPal and take my money which would pay it off :( So I can't donate :S

• Root Admin

i am talking to a phone payment company now but things dont look so good, their tax is a huuuuge percentage of the payed sum (all do it like this) so even if i receive 0.5$/credit i still have to charge players more per 1 credit so this is weird, you have the feeling that you pay 10$ but actualy i get 3 ... its not that efficient and i think it will drain players and only to benefit from this will be the payemtn company. I will keep searching for mobile payment options but this remains right now something for later.

What other payement ways can you think of, what you use or saw in other games?

partly @ crissxcross

Paypal doesnt just accept credit cards, i've got an account with them on my debit card and that works perfectly fine, still free and everything as well.

The only problem i have is that i dont actually have any spare money in my account at the moment

am talking to a phone payment company now but things dont look so good, their tax is a huuuuge percentage of the payed sum (all do it like this) so even if i receive 0.5$/credit i still have to charge players more per 1 credit so this is weird, you have the feeling that you pay 10$ but actualy i get 3 ... its not that efficient and i think it will drain players and only to benefit from this will be the

that sucks man.,.. is there any other Phone company in romaina... cant be the only ofer

• Root Admin

current hosting agreed to keep us until 9 may so that we have time to move on the new server. ..but i noticed the game is slower so i supose they put some kind of restrictions. Playerlist is not loading well, other things work terrible, i know, it will be soon over.

New server should be done tomorow so expect a downtime in the next 2 days while we change nameservers and migrate to the new server.

After this migration i will start a very intensive optimization work on the game so probably there will be several interuptions , server resets, things like that.

After this server issue is solved, i will get back to regular development with new features, more things to the side bar, and a lot more, like usual, but until then i wont be replying to your emails regarding translations, xp resets, avatar drawings or whatever that will be, thank you for understanding.

I will however continue the adventure log .

• Root Admin

New server is not yet ready unfortunatly, it will be ready on monday i hope so untill then we are moving on a temporary backup server , that i dont know much about so it might be a terrible experience but its better than nothing at all.

• Root Admin

its almost done, it will take some time to become available in all corners of the world, anything from 0-24h :P ..but transfer is ready and game is functional right now, i will post back with a temporary url as soon as i finish testing.

• Root Admin

main url should point nwo to the new ip based url.

I expect new server to be ready on monday so we will move again then

let me know what you think of the speed of this temporary server..its not a small server either

Well, I don't see much of a speed change from before. But I never really do pay much attention to that unless it's a lot slower, since I have high speed internet.

Just wondering, where does this game get all its revenue? I understand that some players donate and that may help it keep afloat, but all the time and energy Manu seems to put into the game makes it seem like he doesn't have another job. I guess what I'm trying to ask is why isn't Manu bankrupt? Unless I'm a poor judge and the game actually brings in money.

• Root Admin

Well probably you think i am getting rich with this or something , so i will answer you..

game brings in money, about 40%-60% of how much it costs me, an i am talking strictly about money i have to spend on server and advertising, not my time or ocasional payments i make to artists or other non periodical costs. I am not rich , if you think i am, lol. I just love this project and put as much as i can in it. Think that i developed it over 4 years with no income at all (paypal option was added few month ago), and when i was employed i used to give my entire salary to others to make drawings and write thigs for this game. Now i leave from side projects i do except magicduel ...I am actualy having a very very dificult time working on both game and other projects so that i have some money too, but game has priority for me.

Since paypal has some kind of stupid regulations in my country i cant withdraw paypal to have it as cash here, so all money that is coming from players goes back in the game on different things, from ads, drawings, better server and so on.

If i had money i would have pumped it into advertising and make this game have 1million players by now :D

I can only hope the game will bring in more money in time , because that only means i can stop working on other projects and focus fulltime on this one, ....you realy have no ideea what i can do when i focus fulltime on a project :P ..you will have to login 5 times a day to keep up with the changelog LOL

I am so so happy that we managed to get this server for the game, i couldn't do it without your support, and i am not talking about buying credits in general , but the extra effort you put and subscribed even if most of you allready had plenty credits available.

The server means a big step for me, and will mean a big improvement for you as players also. Having our own server its like beeing independent from hosting rules and limitations...i could say NOW we are professional :D

Well probably you think i am getting rich with this or something , so i will answer you..

I guess I might've thought that, just because all of the talk about the cost of servers and needing donations made it seem like magicduel could be expensive to maintain-- not just the money but the time and work. I was never under the impression that magicduel could be making money, just because it is a free game and I tend to think that not many people donate in any game... Then I was looking at Manu's forum profile and I saw that the age listed was "26" and I was like "...whut?". I don't know, I guess I thought he was just a dedicated oldish (40 or more?) person who retired from some job and began a project with the money made from it. :)

On the subject of advertising:

Why is there no Wikipedia article concerning MagicDuel? Its free and like half the world uses Wiki. It just takes time to write the article.

K

game brings in money, about 40%-60% of how much it costs me, an i am talking strictly about money i have to spend on server and advertising, not my time or ocasional payments i make to artists or other non periodical costs. I am not rich , if you think i am, lol. I just love this project and put as much as i can in it. Think that i developed it over 4 years with no income at all (paypal option was added few month ago), and when i was employed i used to give my entire salary to others to make drawings and write thigs for this game. Now i leave from side projects i do except magicduel ...I am actualy having a very very dificult time working on both game and other projects so that i have some money too, but game has priority for me.

Since paypal has some kind of stupid regulations in my country i cant withdraw paypal to have it as cash here, so all money that is coming from players goes back in the game on different things, from ads, drawings, better server and so on.

If i had money i would have pumped it into advertising and make this game have 1million players by now :)

I can only hope the game will bring in more money in time , because that only means i can stop working on other projects and focus fulltime on this one, ....you realy have no ideea what i can do when i focus fulltime on a project :( ..you will have to login 5 times a day to keep up with the changelog LOL

I am so so happy that we managed to get this server for the game, i couldn't do it without your support, and i am not talking about buying credits in general , but the extra effort you put and subscribed even if most of you allready had plenty credits available.

The server means a big step for me, and will mean a big improvement for you as players also. Having our own server its like beeing independent from hosting rules and limitations...i could say NOW we are professional :(

Its a little time consuming. Also, you have to be perfect - use their format, reference, be objective (no schilling), no spelling or grammar errors. I've done it before but won't really have a lot of time owing to finals week. Any other volunteers? Anyone want to prep content and put it out there for edit? Otherwise I could commit to getting something up in the next 20 days, but everyone would have to live with what I wrote. See my other posts for writing style.

K

or JD, IRL

Its a little time consuming. Also, you have to be perfect - use their format, reference, be objective (no schilling), no spelling or grammar errors. I've done it before but won't really have a lot of time owing to finals week. Any other volunteers? Anyone want to prep content and put it out there for edit? Otherwise I could commit to getting something up in the next 20 days, but everyone would have to live with what I wrote. See my other posts for writing style.

K

or JD, IRL

It sounds fun, but I have no experience with making Wiki articles. (: I don't know; if it's easy enough then I guess I could do a little.