Consecutive Daily Login Bonus

Grido

I'm not going to comment too much on this because I find these tactics sleazy. Very effective no without a doubt but still sleazy. This often causes games to become very sticky because they want to gain that incentive even sometimes in cases when they have no actual intention of playing the game for any actual reason. Its a psychological thing that you can exploit very well. For examples  I can list a few (tribal wars, The west, erepublick, and anything that works on a very limited energy system (I don't mean in the 200 range I am talking about like a limit of 5 that  you get once an hour so you have to log out and revisit on a schedule. As for the methods that you choose to use here I always see simple actions as better than more complex actions.

It is sleazy, yes. But it's also required to keep the number of people up. For instance, you'll have those who'll log in for the first time, take one look at the first page and leave. Then you'll have those which will run around for a few days and do the same. The latter example tried to give the game a chance, but with no incentive, they left. So the purpose is to keep them around long enough for them to have the chance to be introduced to more of what the game can offer. The more they are introduced to more of the game, the more chances they'll stick around. :P

yes, the mini-quest idea is great.

Make it "the quest of the day".

And have another "quest of the week".

But then ... it all comes back to coding and deciding on what quests & rewards are fit for all.

Dailies are a very common feature in MMOs such as WoW or GW2. Probably for a good reason too.

Oh, so this is about upping it to make it more beneficial to players?

It's about changing it so that you get more for each day in a row you log in, to encourage you to not miss days and stick around.

The tactic may be sleazy, but it's a tactic that works, which is why so many games use it. It's not about grabbing money (like some of the other sleazy tactics that are used are), just increased player retention.

... for example if a player gained burst in that day (raw example), he gets something little bit extra.

Speaking as someone who began as an avid fighter/creature collector, I think it took me five months to find out about, and achieve, my first burst?

well if chewett can allready measure and "score" activity (which makes perfect sense to me because the server gets a small burst of information from your computer any time you perform any type of action (and usually has to respond with sending some information back)) then you could just say you need to do X amount of actions (of any kind) to prove you were active on that day. You don't even have to tell players how many actions they have to take and you can have some actions give more points than other. Just have an "activity bar" that fills up a bit every time you do something and when it reaches 100% you get the daily bonus.

edit: this way someone could do a little bit of fighting, a bit of talking (RP or just casual chatting), a bit of exploring,... and not focus too much on any one thing

Edited by powle

• Root Admin

well if chewett can allready measure and "score" activity (which makes perfect sense to me because the server gets a small burst of information from your computer any time you perform any type of action (and usually has to respond with sending some information back)) then you could just say you need to do X amount of actions (of any kind) to prove you were active on that day. You don't even have to tell players how many actions they have to take and you can have some actions give more points than other. Just have an "activity bar" that fills up a bit every time you do something and when it reaches 100% you get the daily bonus.

edit: this way someone could do a little bit of fighting, a bit of talking (RP or just casual chatting), a bit of exploring,... and not focus too much on any one thing

Yeah I need to improve what metrics I store but the basic system is now all set up properly.