MD Awards 2015 - Categories

You will find below the list of categories that was used for the MD Awards 2014, feel free to Add, remove, or modify any of those listed. I will strike out any that are decided to be removed from the list.

New categories are also encouraged, and will get added to the list if there's no/negligible objections to it and multiple people want it included. This is the purpose of the thread, to come up with a final list of categories, remove and add as you decide, I'll just edit the list every so often.

As you're doing these, please be aware of this thread as we are running the general rules concurrently with these discussions.

Categories:

Adventuring Award
For the person most dedicated, or who perseveres most at quests. Not necessarily for completing, or winning the most.

Best Beautification

Given for the highest quality of artistic contributions given to beautify the realm, be it personification of papers, contribution to avatar gallery, or item depiction.

Champion Fighter
For the person considered to be the best fighter in the realm, this does not necessarily have to be the strongest fighter in the realm, but the one that uses the combat system to the best effect.

Fossil of the year
For the player who has been around so long they have turned into a fossil. The player must be visibly active over the past year, and on the veterans list in game.

Helper of the Year
For the player deemed to have been the most helpful. The area of helpfulness the player focusses on can vary. The voter should realise that even though they may not get on with, or have been helped by one of the nominees, this does not mean that the player is not indeed helpful.

Most Addicted
For the player who just can't leave MD for more than a minute without needing a fix.

Most Popular
Given to that most charismatic player who has attracted the largest and most consistent following. Not to be given to the most powerful or prestigious member of the realm, but rather the most well-loved.

Outstanding Service to MD
For the player thought to have done the most to contribute to MD over the year. This can be in any field.

Pre-eminent Role Player
For the player deemed to Role Play the best. The player does not have to stay in character all the time to win this award (though it may help), rather when they do role play it is to the highest standard - this does usually go in hand with remaining in character.

Prime Quest
For the player seen as creating the best quest over the past year. Just because a voter did not manage to complete the quest, does not mean it was a bad quest necessarily, the voter is asked to take this into account when voting.

Rookie of the year
For the player deemed to have made the most progress since they started their account. The player must have created their account since 1st November 2014 and have more than 20 AD at the time of voting. By progress it is meant a step towards a defined role or position (not necessarily official) within the realm, or integration within the community to a large degree.

Top Techie
For the person credited as creating the most popular MD-scripted event or script.

If you feel any of the descriptions need updating or otherwise changing, please say so here as well.

If you are good at art, and fancy helping out with something for this, PLEASE contact me regarding, I'll try to compensate you for your time and effort.

------

Schedule of Events:

Friday 30th October - It Begins (Rules Start) Here

Sunday 1st November - Categories Start Here

Monday 9th November - Rules End

Friday 20th November - Categories End

Saturday 21st Monday 23rd November - Nominees Starts Here

Tuesday 1st Wednesday 2nd December - Nominees Ends

Friday 4th December - Voting Begins

Monday 14th December - Voting Ends

Friday 18th December - MD Awards Ceremony

All previous MD Award threads can be found via the topic-tagging system under "MD Awards" if you don't know how to get to that, look just below the title of the thread and click on the words below the Started by.. line.

Edited by Grido

• Root Admin

That's quite a nice way to change newest newb to make it fairer and more open, previously it was pretty biased towards people who have been around the whole year and this means more people have a chance and not just the first year. I like it!

Indeed, please keep this to a category discussion rather than anything else.

More feedback on Rophs suggestion?

(Rophs, I assume as Chew does that this is a modification suggested for Rookie award?)

Any other categories people want to discuss? Remember they can be added, removed, or modified as shown above.

I think rookie of the year should keep its name, (Dst called me a noob many times, so I'm afraid I'll be publicly shamed by getting nominated :P) maybe even loosening up the requirements a bit.

Around a year and a bit more, case by case basis, depending on the public perception, after all it's all about the public recognition?

Most improved player sounds nice and can be pondered upon as a new category.

I'd prefer Roph's suggestion as a new category. Rookie is a meaningful award to the new players, and if they are in the same category as everyone else it leaves far too much competition for them to have a practical chance of winning.

I like the idea that a rookie is capable of winning Improved Player, but given how these awards tend to skew towards being a popularity contest, I definitely see the need for them to have a category older players are excluded from.

Anyone have any objections to Rophs' suggestion of a new category?

Most Improved Player

The player that the community things has grown the most in the past year. This can be a rookie who set feet on the ground quickly and got walkin' or an oldie who had been inactive but picked up a lot of momentum and did some cool things.

Any more input with regard to Rookie? People seem to not like it as it is, do we want to remove it, or amend it in some way?

Other categories that people want to feed back on?

Most improved player i mostly agree with, just not sure if we need more categories.

Rookie/Noob of the year should stay but i thing the eligibility should be moved, ~4 months before the last Awards up until the current one. Making the timeslot span the awards.

Personally, I would like to see the active days limit removed, and a subjective limit added instead, something like: Most Improved Young Player

People can argue whether players can be considered "young" during nominations, and they'll probably put an objective limit anyways, so only the official wording changes to possibly include more people, which to me is a good thing for that category.

Most Improved Player

The player that the community things has grown the most in the past year. This can be a rookie who set feet on the ground quickly and got walkin' or an oldie who had been inactive but picked up a lot of momentum and did some cool things.

Rookie of the year
For the player deemed to have made the most progress since they started their account. The player must have created their account since 1st November 2014 and have more than 20 AD at the time of voting. By progress it is meant a step towards a defined role or position (not necessarily official) within the realm, or integration within the community to a large degree.

Any more input regarding these?

Are we still wanting these as separate awards, or amalgamating into a single award of some description?

With the Rookie award there have been comments about changing the date range for eligibility - August would be 3/4 months prior to the nominations, which is in line with suggestions above. Do people support this change? That the player must have created their account since 1st August 2014, rather than November? Should we increase the AD requirement so that people are not eligible for this award in two consecutive years, or are we happy leaving this opportunity in?

Pip would like the ad limit removed completely, so further public input over this would be appreciated.

Personally, I would like to see the active days limit removed, and a subjective limit added instead, something like: Most Improved Young Player

People can argue whether players can be considered "young" during nominations, and they'll probably put an objective limit anyways, so only the official wording changes to possibly include more people, which to me is a good thing for that category.

------

"The Sweetest Player"

The player that is just so adorably sweet you want to wrap them up and take them home.

:D

But seriously, I think Pip's above statement is a rather good and valid one. 

From the "But seriously" I take this to be a joke? If otherwise others please comment on this.

------

For clarity, whilst I am seeing positive rep on various posts, as I do not necessarily know what specifically you like I can't really use it for you showing you in agreement with any suggestion. Please specifically post.

• 2 weeks later...

So far the only change we're looking at is to change Rookie into Most Improved Player, or add it as a new category.

Please + rep this post if you want two separate categories.

Please - rep this post if you want Rookie to change into Most Improved.

Alternatively, please post if you want it to stay exactly as it is currently.

Categories discussion ends today, so please respond if you have further changes you'd like to make.