New idea: Killing tool recaller

Mallos

New idea: Killing tool recaller  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think killing tools should have an item recaller so the owner of the tool can take it back whenever they please. Due to the rarity of these items they are highly valuable and thus if loaned out the user will have a lot of responsibility to return the item, of which they may not do. My reasons for thinking they need a recaller are that if the items can be loaned out to anyone who will pay if the owner likes the request, it is beneficial for both parties (except the dead obviously). This pushes more towards frequent killing tool usage and this may be a good thing as it will generate some quests (if players purchase for that) and it could be a balance to allow more revival tool usage along with quests like Molquert or the Caretaker's Revival's request when it comes out.

A reason for not giving this same item recaller to revival tools although they are similar is that dulls some of the sense of reviving someone if you are just giving your tool to someone else to do it. A reason for it would be that it could also generate loans of revival tools.

Edited by Mallos

17 minutes ago, Chewett said:

What about the social aspect of stealing a tool and the activity that generates?

Yes there is that and i think this should still be allowed.

But I think that tools of inactive people should be taken back into some sort of "tool pool" (maybe after a year of inactivity) where you (the admins) can distribute them from to people that deserve them for RP

mainly because you dont want to have too many reviving/killing tools in the game but this way can make use of the ones that "arent in use" anymore

• Root Admin

> But I think that tools of inactive people should be taken back into some sort of "tool pool" (maybe after a year of inactivity) where you (the admins) can distribute them from to people that deserve them for RP

So you would remove those tools from people older than a year? How are they determined as inactive?

No. There should not be a recaller for kill/revive tools. I haven't seen the need to one. When such tools are lent, there are agreements done for the return/usage/others. If the agreement is broken by either party, the "victim" can always report/sue/etc.

As for getting items from "inactive" players, that's a big "No no". Some items were custom made for that player. Some paid a lot to get the items. Why would you strip them from what is rightfully theirs?

• Root Admin

One of the things that dst has touched on, and I feel similarly, many of these items were worked for. It seems a little unfair to remove them.

There have been one or two cases where we have removed the use of some more abusive items but left them with the owner however these are rare.

I assume from reading that you mag feel the recaller should only be used for those items on old forgotten accounts?

I definitely don't like taking tools from inactive players, it's near the same as taking back all their gold, sure it's not being used but it's still theirs and why do we need it? We could just make more.

As for stealing tools, the tools could be role tools or very valuable or personal (such as killing tools) and for  any stealing thereafter there is hardly any options you can go through that will get your tool back other than complain to admins (Mur/Chew) and any social/roleplay aspect of this is bound to be frustrating and just turn into a witch hunt. In the end I would think it's not worth it and would rather just not give the tool out as I've had one stolen from me before *cough cough* not that I did much about it (what could I do anyways). But why should there not be options ingame other than complain to a higher power?

" When such tools are lent, there are agreements done for the return/usage/others. If the agreement is broken by either party, the "victim" can always report/sue/etc. "

Ok so say I fail to make this agreement beforehand or it is implied based on the situation that the tool should be returned, and yet it wasnt. Or say I don't have any screenshots or records of my agreement due to loss of information or whatnot. To me as a player of MagicDuel (ingame) I now have to go to the forum (out of game) and post a formal complaint to a higher power with my little to no evidence of why I should be getting my tool back. Asides from the huge public exposure this may cause depending on where I post this complaint (exposure I may not want), this causes me personally a huge disconnect in my playstyle that I do not/often will not take the jump to report the problem as I like to keep ingame things ingame and forum things on the forum. I don't like to mix the two. This may not be a problem for others so much as me but it's still an issue one could have.

If that's not a good reason I don't have much else to argue for this idea. It just popped as related to Ungod's topic Handling new players as it helps to get more quests done rather than all the killings be "because I dont like you" or "because I dont like what you did"

Edited by Mallos

10 hours ago, Chewett said:

I assume from reading that you mag feel the recaller should only be used for those items on old forgotten accounts?

yes that is what i thought, just to control the number of tools better

but i didnt mean to take it from people that earned it, i didnt look at it that way at all, it was really more the thought that you(admins) could say  "we dont give out any more killing/reviving tools because there are so many in the game already", when in fact only 2 or 3 are really "active" in the game

To be clear I mean the item recallers would be personal for the player that has that specific killing item to be recalled. They would not remove everyone's tools to a location. All they would help is to negate a step between management of MD and getting their killing tool for them if it wasn't returned on time. What it would take is coding these recallers for the people who have killing tools and perhaps giving it to them, if they want it.

Though it doesn't seem like players want this too much. 3 yes / 5 no currently.

• Root Admin
16 hours ago, Mallos said:

In the end I would think it's not worth it and would rather just not give the tool out as I've had one stolen from me before *cough cough* not that I did much about it (what could I do anyways)

Details? PM?