The Elefant smaller than an ant

Muratus del Mur

• Root Admin

All around you are big and small things. Thye are big or small because you compare them to eachother. Take two things you want, one big, one small, then try to see things comparing to them in such way that they will look exactly the oposite.

For example, (i love small things) take an ant, and a car (i suppose you dont have an elefant?)

Look at the car ..is it small or big? dificult to say, because you have to compare it to something. At first , the most natural answer is the car is BIG, and the ant is SMALL. But look at the car in such way that you will realise how small it is. Compare it to the surrounding buildings, to the sky, to anything large enough to make that care be insignificantly small. Then take the and. I dont know how your imagination can work on this, but if it cant then pick somethig a bit larger than an at :P. Force your mind to think on how the and could possible be HUGE. Try to imagine its world, the dust grains it steps on, the little life forms that live even on that tiny ant.

Sounds absurd at first, but training your mind to see things from an "oposite" point of view will make you understand things better around you, much better.

This simple example can be expanded to much more complex situations. Take a man that is smashing his fist in your face and for one second imagine his reasons (regardless if they are wrong or not) and place yourself in his position. I am not saying to forgive him, i am just saying that understanding things from their opposite direction, will give you a huge advantage when balancing a situation, and the ant-elefant things is not an example, is an actual training material.

Yes, I thought of this since I read the book called "The incredible shrinking man" when I was a kid.

Maybe because of that I shrink myself until the ant looks huge. I've also seen the "50 foot woman" and "inner space" :P

I think writers use this a lot. (And Magic Duel people of course)

What if I was...a Hero, a killer, an alien, how would i see the world, what would I do?

As for the fist part...

I used to do that, they call it empathy I believe. I was helping people, forgiving ...

At the end most of them tried to take advantage of that (and did). Too much empathy is not good unless you know how to handle it.

Now I help them by planting a fist back and asking "How do you think that makes me feel ?"

Just a little sarcasm, that last part. I couldn't resist it :)

I myself do this all the time... perhaps a bit too often.

The reason I say too often is because of the reaction i get from others for just being myself.

For example, daily by just being myself... I cause friends and acquaintences to question my motives.

Apparently by being too nice or too helpful, or trying to see thinks from others points of view and not being judgemental.... people in our society seem to think I have ulterior motives.

Its a sad day when people cant trust other people just because they have been 'burned' so many times...

Just my perception... :D

• 3 months later...

[quote name='King Manu' post='16388' date='Sep 10 2008, 05:04 PM']All around you are big and small things. Thye are big or small because you compare them to eachother. Take two things you want, one big, one small, then try to see things comparing to them in such way that they will look exactly the oposite.

and the ant-elefant things is not an example, is an actual training material.[/quote]

Training material of what type, created by who, and for what purpose?

• 4 months later...

Ah... Controlling perception... A good way to indicate a person strong in mind...

It takes time to master... but when you master this, you can enter the mind of another person and do precognition (predict the person's next move) to a degree.

A excellent topic

• 1 month later...

Fist in the face? Hmm.. Wow.. A broken nose! My 'friend's' perception would be 'you are looking beautiful..' Not!

And i dont truely agree with you mur. Coz if I buy a car and use your perception I would simply never be satisfied. My car is always smaller than proximus centauri.. No matter how much ever I spend. But if i compare it to an ant.. YAY! Same goes for wisdom. I agree with people who say that thirst for wisdom should never end. But if I always percieve it to be a drop of water in an ocean like newton.. Gaining wisdom may become an obsession. And i will probably never be content.. Never sleep in my bed peacefully., and if I dont do that.. Well.. I dont want to look like a zombie.. :)

If I compare myself with the universe.. I find myself Insignificant... There is no point or purpose.. The sun always has had and will have more energy than me. But if I compare myself to a child next door.. It makes me happy to know that I know more than that child and am going to probably help her learn what I know.

Besides, life becomes less interesting if you look at things from the other side.. The element of mystery and desire to know more is lost if you know all the answers.. And you are not even sure that if the point of view you are looking from is actually the other side.. I really enjoy the drama though.. When my friend punches me on my face.. I do not punch him back. I get admitted in the hospital, get treatment for my broken nose, return and punch him back. :blink: