The Silencer command

Azrael Dark

As most veteran players are aware and newbies are becoming aware of the command to make people unable to speak is being abused way way way too much in the game and is more of an annoyance than it is helpful. In the proper way, it is helpful to the players who are witnessing some legitimate spamming/improper comments coming from another player even after warning. But in turn, the abusive player learns the pattern and starts to do it to others without regard for its proper use. Then other new players, just innocently trying to wrap their head around how magic works here start unintentionally abusing the spell, which leads to a whole bloody mess. This abuse is present in ALL MP levels and I find the problem spreading more and more throughout the community.

Not to be a spoil-sport, but it is a sincere request for the good of the game that the command should be removed from public use and given to a select few such as RPC, PWD and LHO to use for good reason. Obviously, there is no guarantee that they in turn will not abuse it, so use of the spell will have to be monitored closely by other RPCs and LHOs through counters seen on other spells.

If that is not possible, then I suggest the command be hidden from chat or instead replaced by the line
[i]player1 has silenced player2[/i] in order to curb the number of new players learning and abusing the command. Also a much, much higher cost to use the command if the command cannot be removed publicly. Thank You for your time reading this.

[quote name='Jonn' post='17467' date='Sep 29 2008, 11:13 AM']Noooo it's fun chasing those that abuse the spell.....gives me a reason to be evil -_- ...

Nah ok make it silent.[/quote]

It's fun being chased but not isolated =D

... :D

Well, how can that be considered legitimate if there aren't official regulations concerning it? I bet Ledah didn't even know it would get him banned, and after all it is a public spell that seems to come with no attachments.

On a side note, I've heard little horror stories about people getting banned for minuscule reasons, not any listed under prohibition (like arguing about interpretation of game rules). I had to ask to make sure about this. Are we supposed to just assume what's okay and not, and get banned one day for not assuming correctly? You can't expect players to just know what's right and wrong when everyone has different perspectives--you have to explicitly regulate. Isn't it stupid otherwise?

[quote name='maggot' post='17935' date='Oct 5 2008, 06:16 PM']... :D

Well, how can that be considered legitimate if there aren't official regulations concerning it? I bet Ledah didn't even know it would get him banned, and after all it is a public spell that seems to come with no attachments.

On a side note, I've heard little horror stories about people getting banned for minuscule reasons, not any listed under prohibition (like arguing about interpretation of game rules). I had to ask to make sure about this. Are we supposed to just assume what's okay and not, and get banned one day for not assuming correctly? You can't expect players to just know what's right and wrong when everyone has different perspectives--you have to explicitly regulate. Isn't it stupid otherwise?[/quote]I believe that repeatedly silencing people qualifies as spamming, which is a bannable offense. And there's this rule from the Rules and Restriction tab on the top of the in-game screen:
[quote]Any repeated complain from multiple unique users will get some kind of unwanted action on you, try not to offend people, or to cause a mess in general.[/quote]
If anyone was banned for using the Silence command, it is because they used it repeatedly without reason on multiple users. If enough people make a complaint about it, there will be consequences.

What are these horror stories you speak of? I haven't heard any of them...

[quote name='Yami no Sakura' post='17936' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:19 PM']I believe that repeatedly silencing people qualifies as spamming, which is a bannable offense. And there's this rule from the Rules and Restriction tab on the top of the in-game screen:

If anyone was banned for using the Silence command, it is because they used it repeatedly without reason on multiple users. If enough people make a complaint about it, there will be consequences.

What are these horror stories you speak of? I haven't heard any of them...[/quote]

Like I said, you can't expect people to be able to judge what is spam according to the game's judgment. If they believe they're using the spell purposely, then they won't think of it as spam, which by definition constitutes something pointless.

Guess you're right about the second rule though, hm. Too bad not enough people complained about rpc abuse, huh?

Been poking around on the forums, reading old topics, plus heard some things firsthand. Don't think names will hurt. The one about discussion an interpretation of rules was Robin (who was banned). Ren punished Robin (again, poor thing) for complaining about being attacked (I guess too much by Ren's judgment). A player who quit a while ago, Glaistig, told me about a person who was banned for complaining that another player lied (although he did spam, he wasn't banned for spamming since he stopped, just complaining repetitively). There was dst, I think, for something trivial I forgot, by Wodin, and his friends threatened for protesting his ban. I think kase, a former LHO, was banned, though don't know for what... except others disliked him. Some others, I don't remember but others might, and here we have Ledah.

To ban a player you need a really good reason. There are other ways of punishing players than banning them. The rules are not perfect but they can be improved.
And as for me being banned...yes it happened. Why? Because I used the shut up command on Wodin. Was he wrong? YES. He did it without warning me (this was the main reason I protested) and also he could have used something else.
One question:was Ledah banned or just exiled in the Passage of War?

[quote name='Sol' post='17516' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:45 PM']Lol what did dst do to you? Did he do one of his daily experiments? ^^[/quote]

He showed me the fun part of my bitter experinces. He is here when in need. The game is better 4 me because

• 3 weeks later...

I found a topic that I actually want to reply to. I am amazed.

[quote name='maggot' post='17937' date='Oct 6 2008, 01:41 AM']Like I said, you can't expect people to be able to judge what is spam according to the game's judgment. If they believe they're using the spell purposely, then they won't think of it as spam, which by definition constitutes something pointless.

Guess you're right about the second rule though, hm. Too bad not enough people complained about rpc abuse, huh?

Been poking around on the forums, reading old topics, plus heard some things firsthand. Don't think names will hurt. The one about discussion an interpretation of rules was Robin (who was banned). Ren punished Robin (again, poor thing) for complaining about being attacked (I guess too much by Ren's judgment). A player who quit a while ago, Glaistig, told me about a person who was banned for complaining that another player lied (although he did spam, he wasn't banned for spamming since he stopped, just complaining repetitively). There was dst, I think, for something trivial I forgot, by Wodin, and his friends threatened for protesting his ban. I think kase, a former LHO, was banned, though don't know for what... except others disliked him. Some others, I don't remember but others might, and here we have Ledah.[/quote]

I remember Robin Hood and I remember kase and I remember Ledah and I also remember the reason why these ppl where banned.
Yes Robin Hood was attacked by Ren (cross-mp) and he complained about it in the forum, but that was not the reason he got banned. Back in the old days when Wodin Ullr was Wodin Ullr and not just the leader of GG, he had some rules in his area that would make his and others life much better when being there. One of those rules where not to annoy him. Robin did that for a long long time despite being warned a million times that if he continued to whine in that area we would have to remove him and restore order. The reason, as he later explained, for not shutting up was that he was extremely drunk at the time. Is being drunk a crime? No, but if you can't handle it then stay away from other ppl.
kase was a different story. He just turned out to be a psychopath (I'm not exaggerating). When I asked him to behave probably and not loose his temper all the time he went crazy on me and used all his accounts to flame me in different areas.
Ledah is one of the more normal stories, he just misused the silence spell despite warnings and spammed in crowded areas, therefore he received a temp. ban. End of story.

[quote name='dst' post='17950' date='Oct 6 2008, 12:06 PM']To ban a player you need a really good reason. There are other ways of punishing players than banning them. The rules are not perfect but they can be improved.
And as for me being banned...yes it happened. Why? Because I used the shut up command on Wodin. Was he wrong? YES. He did it without warning me (this was the main reason I protested) and also he could have used something else.
One question:was Ledah banned or just exiled in the Passage of War?[/quote]
He was both :blink: different occations though. I put him in a dream too once.

Whenever I ban a player I make sure to have both evidence and a good reason. If you have any complaints send me a note and I will ban you :)