Celebrating 100.000 accounts

Muratus del Mur

[quote name='Yami no Sakura' post='18340' date='Oct 13 2008, 01:44 PM']Not all 100k of them are online at once. Unfortunately, there are a good number of accounts that aren't active anymore, but they're still sitting around. Don't spoil the fun. :D[/quote]

Even taking inactives into account the number seems to large to believe. 100K for a year old web based game in alpha (especially when I've yet to see 500 on at the same time) Seems extremely exaggerated if not out right fabricated.

For basis of comparison take an Old School MMO Everquest. At its hight it had approximately 500,000 accounts, and more typically hovered around 200-300K. With even the latter numbers they had dozens of servers all crammed full of people. I fail to see how there can be even 10% of that number on a single server and see tumbleweeds blowing by.

No it's not exaggerated. There are lots of players with 2, 3 even 4 accounts which they use or do not use. And they are lots of mp3 players which quit after few days of playing. Why? Because mp3 is a test. So we got ourselves 100k accounts. That's why you don't see so many active players. The ones that are now mp4 and mp5 (and mp6) are the ones that have passed the mp3 test. Which btw is really difficult. I tried to start a new mp3 account and I abandoned after a weak. (yeah! shame on me!)

When you log in and have to enter your email or username and then your password you see a map of md on the rightside...

however, below the place where you have to enter your username etc is stated this.. (I just took it, so numbers might change..)

New last 30/60days: 10582/12123
Registered today: 84 (227 in 24h)
Playing over 1month: 3625
Active today: 2086 (3021 in 24h)
Active 48h: 4384

Now when I was mp3.. this number (talking about the 1 month mark, which is a good one, because newly made accounts and mp3 who quit quite soon are not counted.. i think, lol) was nearing the 500...
I am guessing it will take another year to get this number to 8000.. maybe even 10k..

If you realise there are a lot of places people can be in.. and that a lot of people sometimes just log in for a couple of hours and the log out, (multiple accounts or they don't want to go idle because they don't losses or whatever) it is quite reasonable to see that there are seemingly so few online at wind's or willow's..

• 1 month later...

I would say that about 70% of the accounts created are duplicates. (yes, we here at md like our duplicates)
Continuing on this thought means that about 30,000 people have ever played this game.
A lot of people give up on Mp3, lets say 40% of those 30,000.
This means that 24,000 people actually tried to play this game.
Lots of people quit after a while; lets say 75% of that 24k.
That means only 8,000 people play this game actively.
A lot of people log on once a week, or once a month, or barely ever. Maybe 30%
So with all of that only about 2,000 people will be on this game every couple of days.
Considering that this game is played all over the world with differant time zones its pretty crazy that 500-1,000 people are on at the same time as you.

But this is all speculation. The ramblings of a mad-man.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

• Root Admin

You cant compare MD to other games at all.
The number of online players compared to the number of accounts is diferent from game to game.

In MD there are about 20k accounts lost in the beginning where the email confirmation was not working, then there is MP3 thats indeed a patience test and filters out those that wont be usefull for the TEST. a very small percentage of people remain in game, but this is what i want now, a special selection of people not a bunch of people creating chaos allover.

All the stats including those on the login page are real. There are about 3k active accounts / day, 40% of them are of same real person, and online at the sme time it fluctuated between 90-280. Top was 300.

Other games have different way of counting online players and also its a matter of advertising. I can push advertising in one day and there will be like 1000 online and 20000 active if i wish so, but that will consume the budget for more days and have the server overloaded.

The alpha test is advancing and because of that i will make the beginning of the game more and more easier so that more player remain in the game longer. Untill now i needed a good based of dedicated people and if you are among the first 120k accounts and have over 100 days activity you should be proud. What will follow next in Alpha 8 will be more similar to what you see in other games.... probably next week :)