Abuse Of Silence Spell

Grido

First off, no, i will not tell you how to cast it, but everyone can, and i will delete or remove anything saying how to cast the silence spell.

Lately there has been far too much abuse of this spell, and that is to stop.

The intent of the spell is to silence players who are swearing/spamming/advertising other games so that they can't do it anymore, the spell is ONLY to be cast if there is NOBODY else with given abilities to deal with the matter. Such people would be LHO's or RPC's generally. And since there is usually one of those around, there isnt usually a need to ever cast the spell.

Henceforth we will be employing a line of punishment for players that abuse this spell;
[list][*]On the first offence, the player will be warned, telling them of what the spell is meant for.[*]On the second offence, the player will be warned AGAIN, and repeat what the spell is meant for.[*]The third offence will result in a Ban for 24 hours (1 Day).[*]The fourth offence will result in a Ban for 72 hours (3 Days).[*]The fifth offence will result in a Ban for 1 week.[*]The sixth offence will result in a Ban for 1 month.[*]The seventh offence will result in a Permanent Ban.[/list]The offences are counted up from [b]ALL[/b] characters played by the offending player.
The punishment will be taken out on [b]ALL[/b] characters that are played by the offending player.
After all it is the player that is offending, not just the character.

There are players who have accumulated 3 or more offences already, the next time they offend it will count on the scale as the forth offense, banning for 3 days.

Nobody, no matter if you're friends, partners, or whatever else with someone "powerfull", nobody is exempt from this, I dont care who you are.

if someone sees it and they dont know whats going on, then they may think it's fine to do it randomly, which it isnt.

also if it gets done and it gets reported without the situation being known as friendly, then the person doing it will get into trouble.

also, a ''joke'' isnt always enjoyed by all participants even if the situation is claimed as being fun.

• Root Admin

We as Rpcs have all decided that this will be the punishment so this will be enforced by us all.

Any use of the Spell should be something used only when desperately needed to. And if there is someone with more authority than you they should be the caster.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Grido' date='22 August 2009 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1250977770' post='40013']
Nobody, no matter if you're friends, partners, or whatever else with someone "powerfull", nobody is exempt from this, I dont care who you are.
[/quote]

Im personally waiting to Ban Mur after his third offence :))

*starts counting how often Chewie already silenced people, and gives up after 20*

ontopic:
i think it's a pretty good idea, but perma ban for all accs might be somewhat harsh, even after 7 incidents...

maybe rather do three turns on the month-ban, add a 3 month ban as #9, and perma ban at 10th?

apart from that, good luck with tracing all alts...

you could start developing your skills by finding all the 'breeders', 'soulkeepers', creature-holders' etc.etc. which are showing up in almost every country, main accs XD

Edited by Burns

• Root Admin

[quote name='Burns' date='23 August 2009 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1251033038' post='40050']
*starts counting how often Chewie already silenced people, and gives up after 20
[/quote]

I only ever silence people if they deserve it. And Frosty always deserves it! So he doesnt really count

I really do not think that the punishments are harsh enough.. With amounts of alts and the blatant stupidity of people the ones who would mainly be abusing the spell they shouldn't get a tour of prison, this is direct abuse of one of the systems in place in MD which has been brought up countless times, Anyone who does abuse would know they are abusing it and therefore should just jump straight away to worse punishments. Anyone whos over 100 days of activity found abusing the spell shouldnt be given a second chance.. People have been banned for less, and quite foolish reasons, the ones damaging the game through blatant abuse should be punished and not just tapped on the hand, I am quiet sick of the hypocritical attitude towards punishments. (Burn the infidels)

But thats just my opinion..

• 1 month later...

hmmmm... wonder if it's good that i'm one of the few players that has been silenced by mur.......

ontopic- i would think that the current scale of punishment works, if an offence expires (such as after a year) and not stay forever, and the same should be done with the forums, because lets say a player has played md for 7 years, he has gotten a warning each year (just think about it, is that realy that uncommon, at least one warning in a year?) and now on his 7th offence he gets a perma ban to all his accounts, would you have considered him a bad player? would you remember him for spamming? i wouldn't especially since it was once in a long time that he silenced. in othwords i think that the warnings should expire after a given amount of time, this would help keep the decent players in game, and make sure that those that are realy bad are taken out.

All offences are dated on the player, and I (because it'd generally be me enforcing this) would use my best judgement on it, as i would anyway.

But yes, after "enough" time has passed, they will count less, entirely subjective though.

First of all mods are not hasty. I, myself, I think I warned maybe 5 players in 18 months.
Second:if one player activates for 7 years and he continues to get warnings then he hasn't learned anything and deserves a ban.

Grido can you visit those in the jail?
You do?
with all the respect, do you know how you feel when banned?
(ok is hard to confess but I was banned for 5 years from Gladiatus)(you may laugh now nee! nee!)

(serious)On topic:You are too kind with those punishments; except the permanent Ban
this one should be done by a public court.

A note; do NOT spam this topic, this is a serious topic. (aimed at a couple of posts i removed)

@Gg, I can visit them, yeah, i do sometimes as well, not often though.

I understand the general feeling, but no, as i have never broken the rules to such an extent that would require a ban on other sites or games, i do not ~know~ how people feel when banned.

I agree that the punishments are too kind, but i have (undue) faith in people, so give them plenty of chances. The player is unable to rightfully complain after getting banned from the system I have laid out here.
You are asking that people who have been warned and punished that many times and failed to realise the error and stop doing it, after being told what would happen to them if they continue, should have a public court so that they might be let off the hook?

Grido said
"You are asking that people who have been warned and punished that many times and failed to realise the error and stop doing it, after being told what would happen to them if they continue, should have a public court so that they might be let off the hook?"

Weeel... i'm not in the position to ~~ask~~ I am begging you to try to understand some principles very different of what you follow.

[b]Treasures are faar away from the path[/b] Luther Copernicus Einstein were misfits of their time. (millions others "misfits" died unknown I agree)
What I try to say is that following rules sucks! Better get nowhere than miss the adventure.
Roads are to get you someplace (specific) and fences are to keep you away from other(specific)places. Without fences(=law's) and roads(=facility) you own the world!
Please Grido, be kind with those who think as it would be no rule in their world.
Even when they deny The rules makers! Ha! ha!

Can't stop doing an error if you fail to prove me that i'm wrong. That is not an error to me! And here we go toward living(playing) in separate worlds(games) sooner or later. We two failing to understand each other? Unacceptable!
So I make an offer:
Forget the permanent ban and I promise you to find 10 punishment harder than prison.

@Gg, what now? i'm guessing it's intentional (which doesnt help me to agree with you) that you were incoherent in that post?

If they think there are no rules in the realm, when there are (and they break them), you want them to NOT be punished?!?

If you want a serious talk/debate/whatever about this then post in a serious mannor, otherwise i will ignore your posts.