Water Handling, Guild Or What?

Muratus del Mur

• Root Admin

There will be a set of water handling tools and associated skill. I am not sure if to assign them to a dedicated guild for water handling or to have them as a freelance activity. Current tools ready are: the water bucket, that will collect water resource from lakes in md, and the rain collector that will collect rain water when it rains only. The skill that determines their efficiency is waterhandling and its a common skill for all water related activities. There will be normal and large buckets and improvised and dedicated rain collecting tools.

Future tools will be (but i am not sure the exact names yet), water putrefaction device, water purification device, ice generating, etc.

Water will be used by the other guilds such as gardeners and alchemists

If you think it should be a dedicated guild, make name suggestions. If not, tell me what you think about the number of tools to be distributed out in the open so that the water resource won't be to less but also not too much. Rainwater is NOT limited by daily regeneration, its limited only by weather.

I name..3. For beginners.

1 from lakes, 2 from rain...and not given out to some random alt, but someone who'd actually agree to trade the water fairly if needed and not abuse it.

I'd put a better limit on the lake one, so they get a regular, big harvest if they do continually do it..but however, the rain can suddenly create bursts..different magnitudes of the gathering could be interesting.

The best getting 3 water from rain, instead of just 1?

The biggest issue still lies within the fact that we don't know how much water will be needed in future..if it were me, I'd put 3 out now, and add more accordingly as the holder abuses it/doesnt use it/etc. I suggest a contract of some sort. You give out, loan the tools. If they don't do their job, you can confiscate the item and something they agree to put as security. In return they get to enjoy the profit of collecting water for trades...which should benefit them.

As I see it there are 3 ( I could be wrong) active player who can actively make it rain through spells, so it were to be freelanced it could lead to certain people getting "rich" very quickly, and simply preferred.

What I would suggest is have it forced per guild to have at least on water gatherer as a role, somewhat like an apprenticeship. Rather than have a specific guild just for people collecting water, although it could work.

But use of water, is not just applicable to farming and alchemy, even in various other professions it would be required like blacksmithing.

So the bottom line is, I think freelancers for water gather would be bad mainly due to ease of a corrupt monopoly over it.

They should be for each guild at least one as per needed. (as they are made)

Or

Make the guild for waterbearers specifically, but have it placed in a land with little to no future professions.

Just my opinion.

[color="#8B0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"]What about one water gatherer in each land? I know that would be difficult for Necrovion, but they do have a well. Perhaps they could be the ones to receive a purification tool. The Golemus water bearer could have a tool to make the seawater drinkable. The underground could, too. They have access to water at Storm Coast. The only lands that don't have some sort of water area currently are No Man's Land and Tribunal though a water area may open in the future. MDA's fountain may not really be considered a water source, but it does have one.[/font][/color]

Aren't we all magic?
We could let them drink the water, that way they can transport it... of course, there's a tight limit on it's useage, how long can you hold water? ;)

Also, i think the Well of Tears is empty. Wouldn't bet on it, but last time i checked, Marvolo was standing pretty well and rather dry down there for some time^^

All the lands have water except for no mans land which only has a puddle at the path of loneliness and the fountain must have water in it as it is a location which simply zero can teleport to, which if my understanding is correct is limited to locations with water. As for the Tribunal it has a water pump.

As for how they transfer it probably from buckets which can only hold and not gather, which can be made from other resources.

As for the actual topic it's self, if there is going to be only 1 mining guild based in Golemus, then I suppose for the sake of balance based on the limited resources that a water handling guild should be in either Marind Bell or Necrovion (if one was to be made), but that really would depend on the overall distribution of "gathering guilds". I am certain people would be frustrated being sold something mined in their land by another land, especially if they had nothing in return to sell/trade.

Just my opinion.

I did not see a request for a name, I just love this idea for a water guild.
Water Guild name suggestions:

Cardinal Guild- named after Zodiac symbolism for one of the three types of water signs.

Mui Guild- named after the "Bride of the Water God " God named Habaek( child by day) Mui (adult by night) whose powers are reduced in the presence of heat or sunlight

Hydro Guild - named after Hydrology- study of water throughout MagicDuel.

The Mining Guild might use heavy amounts of water and be one of the worse polluters of our water supply.

Edited by Handy Pockets

I love the idea of freelancers, because I guess there will be many more others guilds in future for whatever might come. If you make some resource freelancers only available, there will be more free market economy then only by guild. The guilds will make contracts and everything is fine but to have a few (maybe stubborn) freelancers makes it much more difficult and interesting.

Just my point of view.

• Root Admin

What about "Hydrominers"?

water will be used a lot. like i already said gardening related activities will require lots of water, or alchemy will require it for creating living water. If i will make it with freelancers, i will place the item on the market and then it will probably end up exploited by one of the hoarders. If it is a guild , it will be a niche guild. Water handling means a lot more than getting water from a lake and selling it.

Now something interesting to hear :P but you probably know it, or some of you.. The actual resource prices will be determined based on the resource creating capacity. So if i see that water is gathered in terms of hundreds of buckets, you will need tens to water a garden. If it will be gathered in terms of 5 buckets a week for example, you will need one bucket to water a garden. Of course this is just an example.

I am thinking of an automated system to auto adjust the resources value.

oh and just an idea... water+heat+vegetables = soup!!!! damn i'm hungry

Water purification would depend on the available equipment and source. Purifying lake water would mean killing microorganisms; for this, boiling is sufficient. Purifying polluted ditch water, or seawater, would require distilling. The method of distilling is to boil it, then condense the steam. (for distilling saltwater, salt would be a side product)

Purification requires [b]heat[/b].

Also, I propose to have a purity value on water, depending on where it was collected.
Rainwater is pretty much pure, unless the air is polluted.

The oldest and simplest pseudo-refrigerator I know of consists of 2 ceramic jars (one inside the other) with sand in the gap between them. Water is poured in the gap, where the sand is, and cools the contents slightly as it evaporates. Maybe this can be made into a usable item to keep veggies fresh longer.

If water collecting is to have its own guild, I would suggest having either Aquarius or Nu in the name.

Edited by apophys

• 2 months later...

Lets look at this critically there is already a wood cutting guild if its working in the desired way then there should be a water guild. Regardless of weather you set them up as a guild or not they will find each other and produce there own social group.

[quote name='Mya Celestia' timestamp='1281891091' post='66224']
[color="#8B0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"]What about one water gatherer in each land? I know that would be difficult for Necrovion, but they do have a well. Perhaps they could be the ones to receive a purification tool. The Golemus water bearer could have a tool to make the seawater drinkable. The underground could, too. They have access to water at Storm Coast. The only lands that don't have some sort of water area currently are No Man's Land and Tribunal though a water area may open in the future. MDA's fountain may not really be considered a water source, but it does have one.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
No Mans Land has a well (story night, anyone?) and the Tribunal has a water pump.

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of creating a guild that is occupied only with water, why not have freelancers whom that besides taking care to collect and purify water also engage in making beverages such as soda and other alcohol?

And the drinks could be as consumable items. Having one manufacturer responsible for each land, so that each one would have the opportunity to produce its own and different beverages, with the characteristics of that land, made with properties of its own environment.

And the different lands could exchange their consumables with each other, regulated by international laws of trade or just like is made with the Sunny Bedroom keys.

Of course, everything combined with the water related matters as well, like purifing and handling.

[color="#8B0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"]Fortune's well is debatable because it opens into the underground. Tribunal does have the pump, but until Knator Commander is finished we won't know for sure what else it has. (Sorry the response has been slow)[/font][/color]

Hmm ok just something i was thinking about.

Guilds for each resorces is not really a good idea to be honest.
For wood yes that works because it can be done as a business. so a guuld/cpmpany that works on that goal is a good way to work it.
For water? i dont think a guild works for this as enyone can gather water no skill required to be able to get a bucket and get some water
Water is the most basic of resorces and yes used in a lot of diffrent things.

If you wanted a water Guild i would suggest it does not work on gathering water but more on purfying it or hardining it
For example sea water is not really drinkable but the guild could seperate the salt from the water.
Some water may not be drinkable at all. Depending on what the water was needed for on the types of water the guild could produce
but just collecting it i dont think that needs to be done just by a guild.

There are so many do=iffrent types of water in the world i am sure a lit of types could be made and turned into a resorce
the guild would be more for purnying or mixing water with other chemicals for diffrent tasks.
I may be way off here but it is only what i was thinking when it comes to this type of guild.

• 5 months later...

Water could be used in a garden for the production of harvestable food and medicine items

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/9641-food-and-medicine/page__pid__84335#entry84335

I don't see that a guild would be an appropriate fit for water harvesting, but I would still make the required items rare enough that water would remain a valuable commodity.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...